Quantcast

waiting for timeout

Jochen Lienhard
Hi,

today we had the problem, that the DAIA-Server needed more than 5
minutes for the error answer.

The result-list worked, but if you wanted to open a single result
(whatever full or accordion) it did not work, because
it waited for the answer / timeout of the server.

I think that could be a basic problem for all ajax calls.

Is there any mechanism in vufind to define that ajax calls should stop
and not wait for the timeout of the server?

Greetings

Jochen

--
Dr. rer. nat. Jochen Lienhard
IT Dezernat

Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg
Universitätsbibliothek
Platz der Universität 2 | Postfach 1629
79098 Freiburg          | 79016 Freiburg

Telefon: +49 761 203-3908
E-Mail: [hidden email]
Internet: www.ub.uni-freiburg.de

Re: waiting for timeout

Jochen Lienhard
I found the timeout in the config.ini in the HTTP section.

If you set this, which service will be touched by this .... all requests
.... backends, ajaxcalls?

What would be the best value .... ?

Greetings

Jochen

--
Dr. rer. nat. Jochen Lienhard
IT Dezernat

Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg
Universitätsbibliothek
Platz der Universität 2 | Postfach 1629
79098 Freiburg          | 79016 Freiburg

Telefon: +49 761 203-3908
E-Mail: [hidden email]
Internet: www.ub.uni-freiburg.de

Re: waiting for timeout

Ere Maijala
I don't think there's a universal answer to that, but regarding the
original issue, there is "loadInitialTabWithAjax" setting in config.ini,
Site section. Setting this to true will make the initial tab also load
via ajax, which means that you'll see the record right away, and
holdings will be loaded via ajax, if possible. The only downside is that
this obviously won't display holdings if the browser doesn't use
JavaScript (I don't think that that's really a problem today).

--Ere

--
Ere Maijala
Kansalliskirjasto / The National Library of Finland

Re: waiting for timeout

Demian Katz

I agree that it's hard to come up with a generalized solution for this, because all AJAX calls are not equal -- there are some places where a shorter timeout might make sense (like this situation, where the ILS is involved), but for most calls, if the AJAX call is taking forever, you probably have bigger system-level problems, and timing out on the client side isn't likely to help much.

In this case, loadInitialTabWithAjax probably is the best workaround (thanks for thinking of that, Ere!) -- though I'm not sure if that has been tested in combination with the tab/accordion mode. If you run into any trouble there, let me know and we can look into it!

- Demian

--
Ere Maijala
Kansalliskirjasto / The National Library of Finland

engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsdm.link%2Fslashdot&data=01%7C01%7Cdemian.katz%40villanova.edu%7C8094970ddfb741c9c88108d4412b8809%7C765a8de5cf9444f09cafae5bf8cfa366%7C1&sdata=ZrOmrgrNMQiNRWxTSbCaVIHCnAw5R4ccQ21eleXyM7E%3D&reserved=0
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flists.sourceforge.net%2Flists%2Flistinfo%2Fvufind-tech&data=01%7C01%7Cdemian.katz%40villanova.edu%7C8094970ddfb741c9c88108d4412b8809%7C765a8de5cf9444f09cafae5bf8cfa366%7C1&sdata=nBLgsMVi9d8n5EW4uj02a5Nxlxl6gtVy2J8jd6dVv3g%3D&reserved=0

Re: waiting for timeout

This setting affects all outgoing HTTP calls from the VuFind server (to APIs, etc.) unless they are overridden by a more specific setting (for example, many of the ILS driver .ini files have their own separate timeouts). It has no impact on client-side requests TO the VuFind server (except to the extent that server-side timeouts make those turn around faster).

- Demian

--

Internet: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=www.ub.uni-freiburg.de&data=01%7C01%7Cdemian.katz%40villanova.edu%7C23419aea220849fe944c08d44115a0a2%7C765a8de5cf9444f09cafae5bf8cfa366%7C1&sdata=gfnDYdHfQM6kAV2du8HLaDdg6PytjoFQ439wZFpQdfk%3D&reserved=0

engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsdm.link%2Fslashdot&data=01%7C01%7Cdemian.katz%40villanova.edu%7C23419aea220849fe944c08d44115a0a2%7C765a8de5cf9444f09cafae5bf8cfa366%7C1&sdata=mPnMctMrnd29Mi6oUxPeWf9pXbtAZZfw%2FRzBFc%2BBc%2BY%3D&reserved=0
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flists.sourceforge.net%2Flists%2Flistinfo%2Fvufind-tech&data=01%7C01%7Cdemian.katz%40villanova.edu%7C23419aea220849fe944c08d44115a0a2%7C765a8de5cf9444f09cafae5bf8cfa366%7C1&sdata=H9HSZj7lC1683P6kAOleO5b0S5FTtWH5TXhSuHj1fEM%3D&reserved=0