vufind upgrade

Byron Smith-4

Hi all,

I am attempting to upgrade Vufind from version 1.3 to 2.3.1.  After I input the path to the directory containing Vufind 1.3 I am receiving the following error:

Config upgrade failed: Error: Could not copy C:/vufind2/local/config/vufind/config.ini to C:/vufind2/local/config/vufind/config.ini.bak.1472296895. Check file permissions.

The path to Vufind 1.3 is c:\vufind

The path to Vufind 2.3.1 is c:\vufind2

I am logged in with a user with local admin rights so I am confused as to what the file permission error could be.  Any thoughts on how I can troubleshoot this further?

Regards,

Byron

Re: vufind upgrade

Demian Katz

Does the file C:/vufind2/local/config/vufind/config.ini exist? If not, there may be a bug in the upgrade process (and I can investigate that further for you). If it does exist, as the error suggests, it may be some kind of permission problem. Under Linux, this usually means that the VuFind local configuration directory is not owned by the Apache user. In Windows, file permissions tend to be more lax, so I’m not sure exactly what the explanation might be… but if you’re not sure why Apache would not be allowed to create a file in that location, it might be worth doing a bit of research on Windows Apache permission control (and I can help if you turn up a dead end). Worst case scenario, we could also try commenting out the line in the upgrade script that backs up the configuration file in order to see if that gets you further, or if you just run into another permission error at the point where the updated configuration is saved.

Good luck, and please let me know if I can be of further assistance!

thanks,

Demian

Re: vufind upgrade

Byron Smith-2

Hi Demian,

Thanks for the assistance.  No file exists at c:/vufind2/local/config/vufind/config.ini.  The process I have followed so far is:

1.       Installed Vufind 1.3 into c:/vufind.  Started Vufind.  Everything is working as expected with this.

2.       Installed Vufind 2.3 into c:/vufind2 using php install.php.  Added Include c:/vufind2/local/httpd-vufind.conf to the apache httpd.conf and restarted apache.

3.       Brought up /Upgrade/Home.

Regards,

Byron

Re: vufind upgrade

Demian Katz

I think this may be a bug on the VuFind side, where the 1.x upgrade process is incorrectly making some assumptions that belong to the 2.x upgrade process… however, before I spend a lot of time digging into the upgrade code, let’s try a simple workaround: try copying all of the files from c:/vufind/web/conf into c:/vufind2/local/config/vufind before you run the upgrade script. I suspect that this will make it work. If not, please let me know!

- Demian

Re: vufind upgrade

Byron Smith-2

Unfortunately, I am still having some trouble after adding the config.ini.  When I first loaded the config.ini into c:/vufind2/local/config/vufind I received an error 500.  I could see through the apache error log that it was due to the custom theme we were using in Vufind version 1.3.  I changed the theme over to use the standard ‘Bootstrap3’ and now when I try to load vufind2/Upgrade/Home I get the following error:

An error has occurred

An error occurred during execution; please try again later.

Please contact the Library Reference Department for assistance

I can’t see any further info in the error log after I receive this Vufind error message.

Regards,

Byron

I think this may be a bug on the VuFind side, where the 1.x upgrade process is incorrectly making some assumptions that belong to the 2.x upgrade process… however, before I spend a lot of time digging into the upgrade code, let’s try a simple workaround: try copying all of the files from c:/vufind/web/conf into c:/vufind2/local/config/vufind before you run the upgrade script. I suspect that this will make it work. If not, please let me know!

- Demian

Re: vufind upgrade

Demian Katz

Okay, one other workaround you can try – instead of copying the existing 1.x files over, delete local/config/vufind/config.ini instead and go to http://your-server/vufind/Install, then click the “Fix” link next to the configuration issue near the top of the list. This will create a clean config.ini file. Then you can switch over to the upgrade and see if it works.

Sorry for this nuisance!

- Demian

I think this may be a bug on the VuFind side, where the 1.x upgrade process is incorrectly making some assumptions that belong to the 2.x upgrade process… however, before I spend a lot of time digging into the upgrade code, let’s try a simple workaround: try copying all of the files from c:/vufind/web/conf into c:/vufind2/local/config/vufind before you run the upgrade script. I suspect that this will make it work. If not, please let me know!

- Demian

Re: vufind upgrade

Byron Smith-2

No worries Demian, I appreciate your help!

I have tried your suggestion but then got stopped with the authority.ini.  I started again, fixed the config.ini as you suggested but this time added the following into vufind2/local/config/vufind

·         Authority.ini

·         Facets.ini

·         Fulltext.ini

·         Reserves.ini

·         Searches.ini

·         Sitemap.ini

·         Sms.ini

·         Vufind.ini

I ran vufind2/Upgrade/Home and the following page loaded with the error below:

http://localhost/vufind2/Upgrade/FixDatabase

[...]

Just to add after my latest testing.  I got the following in the apache error log

[Tue Aug 30 00:14:07.537038 2016] [:error] [pid 4572:tid 1048] [client ::1:54822] PHP Warning:  mysqli::real_connect(): (HY000/1045): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in C:\\vufind2\\vendor\\zendframework\\zendframework\\library\\Zend\\Db\\Adapter\\Driver\\Mysqli\\Connection.php on line 203

[Tue Aug 30 00:14:55.106017 2016] [:error] [pid 4572:tid 1044] [client ::1:54829] PHP Warning:  mysqli::real_connect(): (HY000/1045): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in C:\\vufind2\\vendor\\zendframework\\zendframework\\library\\Zend\\Db\\Adapter\\Driver\\Mysqli\\Connection.php on line 203

[Tue Aug 30 00:19:15.555225 2016] [:error] [pid 4572:tid 1048] [client ::1:54846] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(C:\\vufind2/config/vufind/Amlib.ini): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\\vufind2\\module\\VuFind\\src\\VuFind\\Config\\Upgrade.php on line 394, referer: http://localhost/vufind2/Upgrade/Home

Regards,

Byron

[...]

Is there a particular reason why you are upgrading to 2.3 as opposed to the most recent 2.x release, 2.5.4?

I decided to try to reproduce the problems you are seeing, but I’m not seeing the same problems when I set up a test instance of 2.5.4. It’s a bit less convenient for me to set up a 2.3 test. I can do so if it’s necessary, but I wonder if you might get better results by trying to upgrade to a newer 2.x version.

- Demian

[...]

Version 2.3 is what we have done our previous testing on.  It is not critical to use this version as we will be doing further testing on the subsequent version we upgrade to.

Based on your advice I deleted the 2.3 instance and installed version 2.5.4.  I did get a step further with this version to the point of the database upgrade where I was asked to input the root username and password.  After inputting these details, the page continued to load for a moment before returning a 500 internal server error message.  I got the following response from the apache error log:

[Tue Aug 30 10:20:37.856084 2016] [:error] [pid 4572:tid 1048] [client ::1:55660] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(C:\\vufind2/config/vufind/Amlib.ini): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\\vufind2\\module\\VuFind\\src\\VuFind\\Config\\Upgrade.php on line 410, referer: http://localhost/vufind2/Upgrade/Home

[Tue Aug 30 10:24:48.713361 2016] [:error] [pid 4572:tid 1048] [client ::1:55667] PHP Fatal error:  Maximum execution time of 150 seconds exceeded in C:\\vufind2\\vendor\\zendframework\\zendframework\\library\\Zend\\Db\\Adapter\\Driver\\Mysqli\\Connection.php on line 232, referer: http://localhost/vufind2/Upgrade/FixDatabase

[Tue Aug 30 11:22:06.603609 2016] [:error] [pid 4572:tid 1048] [client ::1:55695] PHP Fatal error:  Maximum execution time of 150 seconds exceeded in C:\\vufind2\\vendor\\zendframework\\zendframework\\library\\Zend\\Db\\Adapter\\Driver\\Mysqli\\Connection.php on line 232

[Tue Aug 30 11:22:49.165642 2016] [:error] [pid 4572:tid 1076] [client ::1:55703] PHP Fatal error:  Maximum execution time of 150 seconds exceeded in C:\\vufind2\\vendor\\zendframework\\zendframework\\library\\Zend\\Db\\Adapter\\Driver\\Mysqli\\Connection.php on line 232

[Tue Aug 30 11:23:28.941961 2016] [:error] [pid 4572:tid 1056] [client ::1:55730] PHP Fatal error:  Maximum execution time of 150 seconds exceeded in C:\\vufind2\\vendor\\zendframework\\zendframework\\library\\Zend\\Db\\Adapter\\Driver\\Mysqli\\Connection.php on line 232

Is this a case of simply needing to increase the maximum execution time in PHP or would there be some other issue at hand?  The vufind database is just over 7mb in size.

[...]

That definitely sounds like good progress!

The reason for the Amlib.ini warning is that VuFind is assuming that you are using a standard, built-in ILS driver, but you are using a custom one. It is attempting to copy the new base configuration into place and then apply your old settings to it, but it can't find the base configuration since it does not exist. I should probably make the upgrade process more tolerant of this situation... but in the meantime, if you copy your Amlib.ini into c:\vufind2\config\vufind, that should eliminate that warning.

In any case, that warning may actually be harmless, and as you say, it's the connection timeouts that are probably the main issue. The database upgrade process can take a long time. I thought I had the appropriate set_time_limit(0); call in the upgrader to prevent things from timing out, but maybe that's not working correctly under Windows or the slowdown is occurring somewhere unusual. Either way, if you change the time limit in php.ini to something very long, that may help you get further into the process. If that doesn't help, or if the upgrade is taking more than 10 or 15 minutes to execute, please let me know and I'll look more closely at the code.