vufind fields, termvectors and GetMoreLikeThis

vufind fields, termvectors and GetMoreLikeThis

Naomi Dushay
I read that termVectors improve performance of "getMoreLikeThis" queries

"MoreLikeThis constructs a lucene query based on terms within a
document. For best results, use stored TermVectors in the schema.xml
for fields you will use for similarity. ... If termVectors are not
stored, MoreLikeThis will generate terms from stored fields."  (http://wiki.apache.org/solr/MoreLikeThis
)

BUT:

The VuFInd code doesn't appear to use the SOLR  MoreLikeThis
requestHandler ... so is the above relevant?

In any case, does it make sense to have termVectors on string fields?
There's only one term in a string field ...

The following are the VuFind string fields that also have termVectors

format
language
(langcode)
publishDate
callnumber-a
topicStr
genreStr
geographicStr
era

Re: vufind fields, termvectors and GetMoreLikeThis

Andrew Nagy-2
Naomi - this again is more legacy schema information.  We had implemented the termvectors when VuFind used the MLT query.  I found that a custom query did a better job and so the MLT query handler is not longer used.  We should probably remove the termVectors from the schema - but I left it in just in case things were going to change.