usage stats

Naomi Dushay
What are folks doing to get usage stats from VuFind?

We're particularly interested in
    search strings
    which facets and facet values clicked
    which outlinks clicked
    etc.

Re: usage stats

Andrew Nagy-2
Naomi - one of our future goals is to build a statistics package directly into vufind.  With Solr 1.3 we have the ability to have multiple indexes.  We will be creating a 2nd index to store usage stats.  Until then you can utilize the apache web logs.

Re: usage stats

wsgrah
Administrator
Google analytics could be easily added in...

Andrew Nagy wrote:

> Naomi - one of our future goals is to build a statistics package directly into vufind.  With Solr 1.3 we have the ability to have multiple indexes.  We will be creating a 2nd index to store usage stats.  Until then you can utilize the apache web logs.
>
> Andrew

Re: usage stats

Sandford, Mark
For what it's worth, I'm very wary of tying something as important as
useage stats to free commercial services like Google analytics for a
variety of reasons, both philosophically and practically.  Of course,
since coding a statistics package is WAY out of league, I guess it's
easy for me to play Monday morning quarterback.  But I don't think I'm
alone in my reticence.

Mark Sandford
Special Formats Cataloger
David and Lorraine Cheng Library
William Paterson University
[hidden email]
(973) 720-2437

Andrew Nagy wrote:
> Naomi - one of our future goals is to build a statistics package
directly into vufind.  With Solr 1.3 we have the ability to have
multiple indexes.  We will be creating a 2nd index to store usage stats.
Until then you can utilize the apache web logs.

> Andrew

Re: usage stats

Antonio Barrera
Awstats is a package that would reasonably work.  It will evaluate the
apache logs as is, and give decent statistics information.  The one
thing that would be needed is either Awstats customization to track
things like exit links and search terms.  But I'm sure it isn't that
difficult to do.

http://awstats.sourceforge.net/

Antonio Barrera
Princeton University Library

Andrew Nagy wrote:
> Naomi - one of our future goals is to build a statistics package
directly into vufind.  With Solr 1.3 we have the ability to have
multiple indexes.  We will be creating a 2nd index to store usage stats.
Until then you can utilize the apache web logs.

> Andrew

Re: usage stats

Naomi Dushay
Thanks to all for their answers.  I was hoping there was a built in
stats package that I had overlooked - apparently not.

awstats is something we use for other local websites.  I am familiar
with google analytics (well, know about it).  Our UI person also
mentioned Site Meter, which I know nothing about (yet).

Probably we should pool our knowledge and requirements on this one.
Of course, my knowledge is currently minimal.

Is there a VuFind techies conference in the cards?  I propose an
awesome location like Hawaii  ;-)

- Naomi

On Jun 11, 2008, at 10:58 AM, Antonio Barrera wrote:

> Awstats is a package that would reasonably work.  It will evaluate the
> apache logs as is, and give decent statistics information.  The one
> thing that would be needed is either Awstats customization to track
> things like exit links and search terms.  But I'm sure it isn't that
> difficult to do.
>
> http://awstats.sourceforge.net/
>
> Antonio Barrera
> Princeton University Library

Re: usage stats

> For what it's worth, I'm very wary of tying something as important as
> usage stats to free commercial services like Google analytics for a
> variety of reasons, both philosophically and practically.  Of course,
> since coding a statistics package is WAY out of league, I guess it's
> easy for me to play Monday morning quarterback.  But I don't think I'm
> alone in my reticence.

I'm there with you Mark.  Google Analytics is a nice package and could be a nice place holder until we get something up and running.

The best part about VuFind being open source, is I think some people will really like to help contribute with the statistics part since it is a lot more fun than parsing MARC. :)  I will build the basic foundation (unless someone beats me to it, any takers?) and then others can build on top of it.

I'm excited to see what comes of it.

Re: usage stats

> Probably we should pool our knowledge and requirements on this one.
> Of course, my knowledge is currently minimal.

Yes! - I will create a page on the wiki for requirements.  Please feel free to edit in your ideas/comments.

> Is there a VuFind techies conference in the cards?  I propose an
> awesome location like Hawaii  ;-)

I second the vote.  All in favor say Aye!

The idea has been tossed around.  The blacklight team and I and Wayne have been having OS OPAC UnConferences.  I think it would be great to host a vufind conference or a open source opac conference.