translate language field

Fr.HarryL
Hi,

Version = VuFind(master/git)

I can't figure out the way to transEsc() ... the Language field in the
main Record tab of a record in the "Bibliographic Details" html table.

Could someone indicate where to go and manage this?

Most of my languages are included in my languages/country.ini file,

Facets are translated ok.

Regards,

Harry.

Re: translate language field

Demian Katz

Harry,

Right now, the language field is not covered by VuFind's translation files. The subject has been discussed, but we have not yet reached a consensus on a few key points:

1.) What should the keys of the language files be? We could use English terms, or we could use standard codes -- but if we use standard codes, which standard should we choose? If we use multiple standards to cover more use cases, how do we reconcile them?

2.) Where can we obtain all of the necessary translations of all of the supported language names? There are some data sets out there, so it may be possible to build scripts to automatically create the language files that we need... but that work is not yet done.

I would recommend taking a look at the conversation on this pull request to get more of the history/context on the issue:

https://github.com/vufind-org/vufind/pull/413

Note that this pull request is currently out of sync with master, and it needs to be updated to reflect some recent refactoring of templates and to fix the way it uses text domains.

If you have strong opinions on this, I would strongly encourage you to join the conversation on the pull request -- if we can all agree on an effective approach, it should be possible to move forward with this in a future release.

If you do not have a strong opinion but need some kind of support soon, I may be able to find some time next week to bring the pull request up to date, and then you can borrow the changes from there to get something working -- and perhaps your experience will then allow you to express opinions on a better strategy for the future.

Please let me know if I can do anything more to help!

thanks,

Demian

engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsdm.link%2Fslashdot&data=02%7C01%7Cdemian.katz%40villanova.edu%7Ccc491be38fdb4a15c8aa08d4b4c4c33e%7C765a8de5cf9444f09cafae5bf8cfa366%7C0%7C0%7C636332204570382246&sdata=ZBXEe97ovFspT%2B9ypo%2FEqfAXJ8dSdobXqJtJ7vWOuIo%3D&reserved=0
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flists.sourceforge.net%2Flists%2Flistinfo%2Fvufind-general&data=02%7C01%7Cdemian.katz%40villanova.edu%7Ccc491be38fdb4a15c8aa08d4b4c4c33e%7C765a8de5cf9444f09cafae5bf8cfa366%7C0%7C0%7C636332204570382246&sdata=I1%2Fbh%2FsqwydEPa0z9T5P8QEBZ0xF0vDId35vDLQejvU%3D&reserved=0