title fields questions

Naomi Dushay
Has anyone else's librarian's suggested the following?

In one of our librarian views of the VuFind index fields, our resident
MARC expert said:

oldTitle:  should be 780 subfield "t"  (currently "a")
newTitle: should be 785 subfield "t" (currently "a")

Looking at the MARC documentation:
780:  http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd780.html
785:  http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd785.html
   "a" is "main entry" and "t" is "title."   I can't remember what he
said exactly, but he convinced me that "t" is the more appropriate
subfield.

also, he suggests that the title field should be changed:

title:  should be 245 subfields "a" "b" "n" and "p" (currently only
"a" and "b").

I think his example was of a complex journal search that had been in
two separate parts and then replaced by another journal.

Just wondering if anyone else did the above, or considered the above
and did NOT do it ...

Re: title fields questions

Andrew Nagy-2
Naomi - I will run this by our metadata librarian to see if he agrees.

Re: title fields questions

Naomi - I confirmed with our metadata librarian that I did have the oldTitle and newTitle fields incorrect.  However it seems that we should have both the subfield a and the subfield t.

As to the 245 - we questioned this.  The p subfield is kind of like an alternate title in which we might want to add it to the title2 field.  The n subfield is usually a number, and doesn't necessarily make sense adding to the title field?

Regardless - with VuFind 1.0, we have added a new field called allFields which holds all of the data of the records for doing an all fields search.  So anything missing from the fielded data will get caught in the allfields field.

Andrew

p.s. Non technical questions such as this may be better asked on the vufind-general list where you will have a wider audience.