solrmarc import code: format, url(s), access method

solrmarc import code: format, url(s), access method

Naomi Dushay
I can now offer our customized code (and the tests I used) for the
fields below.  More details upon request (could be posted to list -
didn't want to make this message too long).  In addition to adding
tests for the code below, I also revamped the test code to make it a
lot more efficient.

format:
--------
This is our initial stab;  we may well do revisions as we examine our
data.We started by choosing an initial set of values for format, with
"other" as a catch all.  We then created algorithms to assign our
metadata to the different values.   Our metadata expert said to use
the information in leader bytes 06 and 07 and additional information
in 008 for this:  "Please note that I am not using the 006, as they
are mainly used for coding supplementary materials (except for e-
resources, but we have other means of identifying e-resources), and
the use of the field is not consistent. I am also not using 007,
because the use of that field is also not as consistent as the coding
of the leader and the 008. For this group of formats, I think the
leader and 008 are more reliable."

The code allows a bib record to have more than one format value.

url  (for fulltext)
urlSuppl_store
------------
We wanted to split the urls for full text from other urls for a
resource (e.g. urls for table of contents).   We achieved this with a
combination of the 2nd indicator value in an 856 and some string
matching.

access method:
----------
We want a facet to indicate access, with values:
online
on campus
upon request   (we have offsite storage facilities)

We currently assign "online" if the bib record has a fulltext URL, and
we currently assign "on campus" otherwise.  This is NOT our final
approach:  a resource may have online access as well as a physical
object.  In the near future, we will also base this on the "location"
codes from our item records.  First we have to implement a way to get
call number and item information in batch.