server size

Marvin Weaver
Can anyone guesstimate what size server is required to run VuFind?  Our
catalog is 300some entries and we subscribe to about 120 databases and
have about 5200FTEs.  By size I mean number/speed of processors, ram,
and disk space.
Thanks

Re: server size

Marvin Weaver
Sorry, that's 300,000+ entries...
Marvin

Marvin Weaver wrote:

> Can anyone guesstimate what size server is required to run VuFind?  Our
> catalog is 300some entries and we subscribe to about 120 databases and
> have about 5200FTEs.  By size I mean number/speed of processors, ram,
> and disk space.
> Thanks

Re: server size

wsgrah
Administrator
You don't really need a beefy system. The faster the processor(s) and
more RAM  you have, the faster things will be because of the way that
things get processed in the Java bytecode. If you're in the market to
get a new server, this is way more than you need :)

Dell 2950
2 Quad Core processors @ 2.33 Ghz (x86_64)
RHEL 5.2
16GB Quad ranked RAM
RAID 10 SAS Array
5 160GB SAS Drives (2 for RAID, 1 hot spare)

All this for under $7,000 :)

If you're a Sun site, I would recommend staying away from their
CoolThreads line; those can handle a lot of concurrent threads, but they
are pretty slow for processing the files. Other than that, nothing special.

Wayne

Marvin Weaver wrote:

> Can anyone guesstimate what size server is required to run VuFind?  Our
> catalog is 300some entries and we subscribe to about 120 databases and
> have about 5200FTEs.  By size I mean number/speed of processors, ram,
> and disk space.
> Thanks

/**
  * Wayne Graham
  * Earl Gregg Swem Library
  * PO Box 8794
  * Williamsburg, VA 23188
  * 757.221.3112
  * http://swem.wm.edu/blogs/waynegraham/
  * http://www.liquidfoot.com
  */

Re: server size

Bai,Sheryl
Hi Wayne,

We have a Sun Fire V215, 2 X 1.5GHz UltraSPARC IIIi, 4GB memory, 2 X
73GB Drive. It is the Webvoyage server for the Voyager. We have about
50,000 entries.  It should be good enough, right?

Thanks

Sheryl Bai

Uconn Health Center Library

Marvin Weaver wrote:
> Can anyone guesstimate what size server is required to run VuFind?
> Our
> catalog is 300some entries and we subscribe to about 120 databases and

> have about 5200FTEs.  By size I mean number/speed of processors, ram,
> and disk space.
> Thanks

/**
  * Wayne Graham
  * Earl Gregg Swem Library
  * PO Box 8794
  * Williamsburg, VA 23188
  * 757.221.3112
  * http://swem.wm.edu/blogs/waynegraham/
  * http://www.liquidfoot.com
  */

Re: server size

wsgrah
Administrator
Sheryl,

This is more than adequate...it'll work fine, but the slower CPU will
make things like indexing slow (it's pretty CPU intensive). A work
around is to do the indexing on a PC and then move it to the server. You
have more than enough space and memory, just make sure to pass the 64
bit java operator passed in the startup script (set $JAVA_OPTIONS).

Wayne

Bai,Sheryl wrote:

> Hi Wayne,
>
> We have a Sun Fire V215, 2 X 1.5GHz UltraSPARC IIIi, 4GB memory, 2 X
> 73GB Drive. It is the Webvoyage server for the Voyager. We have about
> 50,000 entries.  It should be good enough, right?
>
> Thanks
>
> Sheryl Bai
>
> Uconn Health Center Library

/**
  * Wayne Graham
  * Earl Gregg Swem Library
  * PO Box 8794
  * Williamsburg, VA 23188
  * 757.221.3112
  * http://swem.wm.edu/blogs/waynegraham/
  * http://www.liquidfoot.com
  */

Re: SAMP Installation

Bai,Sheryl
Thanks, Wayne!

On this server, we have Solaris 10 8/07 s10s_u4wos_12b SPARC. We also
have Apache 2.0.58 already.  Should I go ahead to install SAMP following
this instruction http://www.vufind.org/wiki/installation_solaris? Should
I install Apache 2 (must be a higher version) or keep our old version
Apache 2.0.58?

Thank you

Sheryl

Currently we have Apache 2.0.58. Should I install CSKamp with Apache
 2.2.9, PHP 5 and MSQL5 32bit or just install CSKmysql with MySQL5

Bai,Sheryl wrote:

> Hi Wayne,
>
> We have a Sun Fire V215, 2 X 1.5GHz UltraSPARC IIIi, 4GB memory, 2 X
> 73GB Drive. It is the Webvoyage server for the Voyager. We have about
> 50,000 entries.  It should be good enough, right?
>
> Thanks
>
> Sheryl Bai
>
> Uconn Health Center Library

/**
  * Wayne Graham
  * Earl Gregg Swem Library
  * PO Box 8794
  * Williamsburg, VA 23188
  * 757.221.3112
  * http://swem.wm.edu/blogs/waynegraham/
  * http://www.liquidfoot.com
  */

Re: SAMP Installation

Wayne Graham
I'd go ahead and use SAMP which should have the latest versions in there (http://dlc.sun.com/osol/docs/content/WEBSTACK/ggrud.html). There are some things in there for PHP dependencies in 5.2 that require Apache 2.2. Depending on how much RAM you have on the server, you may want to use the 64-bit version to let MySQL take advantage of more of the systems's ram.

Wayne

/**
* @author Wayne Graham
* @web http://www.liquidfoot.com
*/

Bai,Sheryl wrote:
> Hi Wayne,
>
> We have a Sun Fire V215, 2 X 1.5GHz UltraSPARC IIIi, 4GB memory, 2 X
> 73GB Drive. It is the Webvoyage server for the Voyager. We have about
> 50,000 entries.  It should be good enough, right?
>
> Thanks
>
> Sheryl Bai
>
> Uconn Health Center Library

/**