Quantcast

searchbox.ini tinkering

P. S. Mukhopadhyay
Dear all

We are using searchbox.ini to provide users facilities to forward a query to various search-retrieval services (both Open Access and Licensed access), for example, this lines in searchox.ini help users to search resources in BASE:

type[] = External
target[] = "https://www.base-search.net/Search/Results?type=all&oaboost=1&ling=1&name=&newsearch=1&refid=dcbasen&lookfor="
label[] = BASE

In this way, we have included many services including our commercial resource bases.

My questions are:

1. Can we merege all Open Access services (like BASE, DOAJ, OpenDOAR, etc) in a single line with a generic label "Search OA Resources"?

2. Can we merege all Licensed Access services (like SCOPUS, Journal portal etc) in a single line with a generic label "Search LA Resources"?

3. Is searchbox.ini is the right place to start such experiment?

Thanks and regards,

Dr. Parthasarathi Mukhopadhyay
Associate Professor, Department of Library and Information Science, University of Kalyani,
Kalyani - 741 235 (WB), India

Re: searchbox.ini tinkering

Demian Katz

Are you trying to create a single search option that will search across multiple services, or are you trying to adjust the interface to have multiple categorized drop-downs? Are you looking to bring more things inside VuFind, or are you looking to send users outward in a different way? Perhaps it would be helpful to see a simple wireframe of what you desire.

If you’re trying to do search across services, it should be possible to index at least some of the open access services into your local Solr index and then perform various faceted searches across the records. For the licensed services, it’s more challenging; you might be able to do some federated searching with Pazpar2, but that’s complex to set up and doesn’t necessarily yield great results.

If you’re trying to adjust the way search options are presented, that will probably require some template customization – but knowing more about what your goal is would help us suggest a best approach.

Sorry if I’m misunderstanding your goals entirely!

- Demian

Re: searchbox.ini tinkering

P. S. Mukhopadhyay
Dear Demian

My responsees are as follows:

Are you trying to create a single search option that will search across multiple services, or are you trying to adjust the interface to have multiple categorized drop-downs?

 >> We wish to have a single generic label for all selected OA sercices and another one for all LA rescoues. For example, The combined search interface should show only three drop-down menus - a) Local Library Resources; b) Search in Open Access; c) Search in Licensed  Resources.

The option a) should show all locally processed resources like library catalogue records, resources from IDR software, our local e-book server (this is just working fine with Bento Box retrieval as guided by you previously by changing our combined.ini file)

The option b) should show one generic label for all the OA services our users generally use (like BASE, OpenDOAR, ROAR, DOAJ, OATD etc). Presently we have included all these but list of OA entities are growing each day and end users are having problems to select which OA is suitable for them. A generic option for all the selected OA resources and services may help users to get rid of the said problem.

The option c) should show one generic label for all the LA services our users generally use (like SCOPUS, WOS, journal portals etc). Presently we have included all these but list of LA entities are also growing each day and end users are having problems to select which LA is suitable for them from the long list. A generic option for all the selected LA resources (mainly bibliographic database) and services may help users to get rid of this selection problem by consulting the long list.

Are you looking to bring more things inside VuFind, or are you looking to send users outward in a different way? Perhaps it would be helpful to see a simple wireframe of what you desire.

>> No. We wish to have a query forwarding mechanism instead of bringing resources inside Solr index. Users will select the option a)  to get resources from Solr only for local library materials but option b and c will snatch resources from the respective service agglomeration (as said earlier).

If you’re trying to do search across services, it should be possible to index at least some of the open access services into your local Solr index and then perform various faceted searches across the records. For the licensed services, it’s more challenging; you might be able to do some federated searching with Pazpar2, but that’s complex to set up and doesn’t necessarily yield great results.

>> Hope earlier paragraph will answer this question.

If you’re trying to adjust the way search options are presented, that will probably require some template customization – but knowing more about what your goal is would help us suggest a best approach.

>> Lets try.

Sorry if I’m misunderstanding your goals entirely!

>> on the contrary, your analytical views help me (as always) to shape the interface we need.

Thanks and regards,

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 7:30 PM, Demian Katz <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Is your current interface available to the public? If so, could you share a link to it so I can see how it is currently behaving? If it is private, would it be possible to share a couple of screen shots? That would help me put some of this information in context.

thanks,

Demian