format_map.properties - Multilingual

P. S. Mukhopadhyay
Dear All

I made a change in format_map.properties (in local/config/vufind) like this:

original:

Electronic          = Electronic Resources

Changed one:

Electronic          = Electronic Resources (ইলেকট্রনিক গবেষণাপত্র )

It failed to show the multilingual character (here Bengali) and produces a screen as attached.

My set up can show Bengali translation correctly after selection from language menu and thereby ensures Unicode compatibility. But strangely multilingual value in
format_map.properties file not doing the job correctly. What I missed?

Dr. Parthasarathi Mukhopadhyay
Associate Professor, Department of Library and Information Science, University of Kalyani,
Kalyani - 741 235 (WB), India

Screenshot from 2017-05-14 17-44-10.png (96K) Download Attachment
Screenshot from 2017-05-14 17-52-24.png (81K) Download Attachment

Re: format_map.properties - Multilingual

Tod Olson
It looks there is a problem handling the encoding of the string in format_map.properties. It looks as if the string itself is double-encoded in UTF-8. You would have to check the byte values to be certain. An encoding/decoding issue in any event. And it could happen at different levels, like reading the format_map.properties with the wrong encoding.

As en experiment you could try replacing the Begali script (or maybe just the first few characters) with character entities and see if that works. It would be easy, even if a bit ugly, and may give some more information.

Best,

-Tod

Tod Olson <[hidden email]>
Systems Librarian
Interim Director for Integrated Library Systems
University of Chicago Library

On May 14, 2017, at 7:22 AM, P. S. Mukhopadhyay <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear All

I made a change in format_map.properties (in local/config/vufind) like this:

original:

Electronic          = Electronic Resources

Changed one:

Electronic          = Electronic Resources (ইলেকট্রনিক গবেষণাপত্র )

It failed to show the multilingual character (here Bengali) and produces a screen as attached.

My set up can show Bengali translation correctly after selection from language menu and thereby ensures Unicode compatibility. But strangely multilingual value in
format_map.properties file not doing the job correctly. What I missed?

Re: format_map.properties - Multilingual

Johannes Ruscheinski

The properties files are interpreted as Latin-1 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.properties)  You have to use Unicode escapes as shown in an example on the Wikipedia escapes.  I find that really annoying that they didn't use Unicode.

Johannes

On 14/05/17 14:22, P. S. Mukhopadhyay wrote:
Dear All

I made a change in format_map.properties (in local/config/vufind) like this:

original:

Electronic          = Electronic Resources

Changed one:

Electronic          = Electronic Resources (ইলেকট্রনিক গবেষণাপত্র )

It failed to show the multilingual character (here Bengali) and produces a screen as attached.

My set up can show Bengali translation correctly after selection from language menu and thereby ensures Unicode compatibility. But strangely multilingual value in
format_map.properties file not doing the job correctly. What I missed?

Dr. Parthasarathi Mukhopadhyay
Associate Professor, Department of Library and Information Science, University of Kalyani,
Kalyani - 741 235 (WB), India

Dr. Johannes Ruscheinski
Universitätsbibliothek Tübingen - IT-Abteilung -
Wilhelmstr. 32, 72074 Tübingen

Tel: +49 7071 29-72820
FAX: +49 7071 29-5069
Email: [hidden email]

Re: format_map.properties - Multilingual

Tod is correct that Java properties files do not handle UTF-8 (they expect Latin-1 encoding, which is unhelpful for these types of characters). Fortunately, as Tod says, you can escape the characters as character entities. Try using this string in place of the UTF-8 characters:

\u0987\u09B2\u09C7\u0995\u099F\u09CD\u09B0\u09A8\u09BF\u0995 \u0997\u09AC\u09C7\u09B7\u09A3\u09BE\u09AA\u09A4\u09CD\u09B0

- Demian