customized solr xml files

Bradley Busenius
Hello everybody,

We're currently resolving conflicts in a merge and have noticed a few
files in the core vufind code that we've modified. These are all solr
related xml files, e.g. solrconfig.xml, schema.xml, solr.xml etc. Is
there a way to override these files locally or do we just need to diff
them with the incoming changes? Thanks for your help!

Brad Busenius

Re: customized solr xml files

Uwe Reh
Hi Brad,

SOLR is a complete and stand-alone web-application. It is just bundled
for your convenience. I would suggest, not to change the example
configuration of SOLR.

You can easily run own Solr instances with VuFind. You have only to tell
(configure) the other modules where to find the HTTP-Rest-API of SOLR.
(The other modules are PHP/GUI for searching and SolrMarc for indexing)
Having separately running SOLR servers, you are free to do rethink the
complete index.
A second advantage is the possibility, to run several VuFind
installations (prod/test/dev) on just one Index or to switch VuFind
instantly (just one parameter) from on Index to an other.

Uwe Reh

Am 23.11.2016 um 21:26 schrieb Brad Busenius:

> Hello everybody,
>
> We're currently resolving conflicts in a merge and have noticed a few
> files in the core vufind code that we've modified. These are all solr
> related xml files, e.g. solrconfig.xml, schema.xml, solr.xml etc. Is
> there a way to override these files locally or do we just need to diff
> them with the incoming changes? Thanks for your help!
>
> Brad Busenius

Re: customized solr xml files

Demian Katz

Uwe,

What you say is true, and it's definitely a valid strategy to manage Solr this way. However, it's still a good idea to keep an eye on changes to the Solr configurations included with VuFind by default, since they may include schema changes that are necessary to support changes to default assumptions made in the core code or they may reflect upgrades to newer Solr versions required to support certain features or work around certain bugs. So it's up to you whether you manage Solr by modifying the core files or by creating a separate local copy, but either way it's important to see what changed when upgrading to avoid problems. The Solr schema changelog on this page can help with that:

https://vufind.org/wiki/development:architecture:solr_index_schema#changelog

- Demian

SOLR is a complete and stand-alone web-application. It is just bundled
for your convenience. I would suggest, not to change the example
configuration of SOLR.

You can easily run own Solr instances with VuFind. You have only to tell
(configure) the other modules where to find the HTTP-Rest-API of SOLR.
(The other modules are PHP/GUI for searching and SolrMarc for indexing)
Having separately running SOLR servers, you are free to do rethink the
complete index.
A second advantage is the possibility, to run several VuFind
installations (prod/test/dev) on just one Index or to switch VuFind
instantly (just one parameter) from on Index to an other.

Uwe Reh

Am 23.11.2016 um 21:26 schrieb Brad Busenius:
> Hello everybody,
>
> We're currently resolving conflicts in a merge and have noticed a few
> files in the core vufind code that we've modified. These are all solr
> related xml files, e.g. solrconfig.xml, schema.xml, solr.xml etc. Is
> there a way to override these files locally or do we just need to diff
> them with the incoming changes? Thanks for your help!
>
> Brad Busenius

> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flists.sourceforge.net%2Flists%2Flistinfo%2Fvufind-tech&data=01%7C01%7Cdemian.katz%40villanova.edu%7C5b35c937396f4603079b08d4144d55de%7C765a8de5cf9444f09cafae5bf8cfa366%7C1&sdata=cBh8HO7QRz1PUfQfLs0HKAptRLiyfIOvXhoIhNa%2Bfx0%3D&reserved=0

https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flists.sourceforge.net%2Flists%2Flistinfo%2Fvufind-tech&data=01%7C01%7Cdemian.katz%40villanova.edu%7C5b35c937396f4603079b08d4144d55de%7C765a8de5cf9444f09cafae5bf8cfa366%7C1&sdata=cBh8HO7QRz1PUfQfLs0HKAptRLiyfIOvXhoIhNa%2Bfx0%3D&reserved=0

Re: customized solr xml files

Uwe Reh
100% agreed.

I was just too lazy to mention, that managing a modified index includes
also taking own responsibility. Sorry

Uwe