admin area error

Byron Smith-4

Hi All,

I am experiencing a problem accessing the admin area of VuFind once enabled through the web/conf/confi.ini.  The admin section prompts me for the username/password which after I enter the page hangs and then finally displays a 500 internal error.  I have checked the Apache error logs and firebug but do not see any useful information that suggests what the problem might be.  My initial suspicion was that it was related to the .htaccess settings in apache/httpd-vufind.conf but they all look ok to me and no different to other servers where the admin section is working without any problem.  Any idea on what could cause this issue or how I can troubleshoot it better?

Regards,

Byron

Re: admin area error

Demian Katz

Have you tried removing/regenerating the .htpasswd file in case there is some corruption there?  Have you confirmed that entering an incorrect password blocks access?

Assuming that you don’t have .htpasswd problems, could it be that VuFind is having trouble communicating with the Solr server?  All the front page of the admin area does is load status XML from Solr and parse it into a human-readable format.  If you’re encountering an error on that page, it is most likely due to Solr communication problems or issues with the PEAR XML_Unserializer library.

Turning on debug in config.ini might give you more information.

Finally, if you want another point of reference, you might find it worthwhile to install a copy of the VuFind 2.0 prototype (which is nearly complete, though not very well-documented yet).  Its Admin module has been significantly rewritten.

Let me know if you need more help with any of this!

- Demian

I am experiencing a problem accessing the admin area of VuFind once enabled through the web/conf/confi.ini.  The admin section prompts me for the username/password which after I enter the page hangs and then finally displays a 500 internal error.  I have checked the Apache error logs and firebug but do not see any useful information that suggests what the problem might be.  My initial suspicion was that it was related to the .htaccess settings in apache/httpd-vufind.conf but they all look ok to me and no different to other servers where the admin section is working without any problem.  Any idea on what could cause this issue or how I can troubleshoot it better?

Regards,

Byron

Re: admin area error

Byron Smith-4

Hi Demian,

I have tried regenerating the .htpasswd file but that did not make any difference.  If I enter an incorrect password it successfully blocks access and prompts for the username/password again.

Solr seems to be running ok on the server in question.  I am able to successfully browse to http://localhost:8080/solr and access the admin functionality as normal

After doing some further research it seems like this is some kind of issue unique to Windows 2008 server.  I found the following thread below and after making the required changes to home.php I can now access the admin area.  The only strange thing is that it takes a very long time to load (2+ minutes)  I can reproduce this problem on multiple Win 2008 servers.  It runs as normal on VuFind with Windows 2003 server.

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=8C5580C57D1DF248B104CCC52BECC4580BB7420047%40VUEX1.vuad.villanova.edu&forum_name=vufind-general

Regards,

Byron

I am experiencing a problem accessing the admin area of VuFind once enabled through the web/conf/confi.ini.  The admin section prompts me for the username/password which after I enter the page hangs and then finally displays a 500 internal error.  I have checked the Apache error logs and firebug but do not see any useful information that suggests what the problem might be.  My initial suspicion was that it was related to the .htaccess settings in apache/httpd-vufind.conf but they all look ok to me and no different to other servers where the admin section is working without any problem.  Any idea on what could cause this issue or how I can troubleshoot it better?

Regards,

Byron

Re: admin area error

Demian Katz

What change did you make?  Changing file_get_contents to a Proxy_Request call?

I’ve seen that some versions of Windows have trouble resolving “localhost” within PHP.  Does changing references to “localhost” in the config.ini file to “127.0.0.1” help?

[...]

The only changes I made in home.php was to move the connections to the smarty template (setpageTitle, setTemplate and display) that are listed in the launch() function.  When moved above the if statement that loads the Solr statistics, the admin console loads (although takes a very long time) This does not seem to be necessary on Windows 2003 server.

Regards,

Byron

public function launch()

{

global $configArray;

global $interface;

$interface->setTemplate('home.tpl');

$interface->setPageTitle('Home');

$interface->display('layout-admin.tpl');

// Load SOLR Statistics

if ($configArray['Index']['engine'] == 'Solr') {

$xml = @file_get_contents(

$configArray['Index']['url'] . '/admin/multicore'

);

if ($xml) {

$options = array('parseAttributes' => 'true',

'keyAttribute' => 'name');

$unxml = new XML_Unserializer($options);

$unxml->unserialize($xml);

$data = $unxml->getUnserializedData();

$interface->assign('data', $data['status']);

[...]

Very odd – I’m not sure why that makes a difference.  Did you try the 127.0.0.1 workaround to see if that makes a difference?

[...]

That worked – changing localhost to 127.0.0.1 solved the loading issue.  I am also not sure why the order of the smarty calls would make any difference but the two fixes combined seem to do the trick and it loads as per normal.  Thanks for the help with this.

[Statistics]

enabled = false

solr = http://127.0.0.1:8080/solr

engine = Solr