Quantcast

Vufind whit Database of pay

Abner Mizael Vasquez Estrada
Hello vufind- tech  team, my name is Abner Vasquez, library systems analyst, recentlyinstall 3.1.2 Vufind works very well with the contents of the institution, OJS, Koha and Dspace​. I want to go but it is integrating databases of pay, e-Libro, JSTORE, SPRINGERLINK, PROQUEST, AGORA, we are already paying the subscription. That metadata exactly would need them to be able to index them with Solr.

It is possible to integrate these databases, that recommendations and sugenrenciascan give me.

Thank you.

Re: Vufind whit Database of pay

The most common solution to this problem is to subscribe to a web-scale discovery service like EDS, Primo Central or Summon. This provides an API that aggregates content from subscription databases, and VuFind includes support for the major providers.

Obviously the disadvantage to this approach is that there is a subscription cost for the aggregation service – and this cost is often quite high.

If that option is not available, there are a couple of possibilities:

1.)    If you can obtain metadata for the database, you can index it into your local Solr index. This works well when it is possible, but most vendors are unwilling to share their data with individual institutions.

2.)    If the database has an API, you can implement a connector in VuFind to allow direct access. This is unfortunately a significant amount of work, and aggregating content from multiple databases quickly becomes difficult and slow due to the amount of network traffic required. If you would be satisfied with searching one database at a time, or featuring one or two specific collections, this might still be viable.

As you can see, there is no ideal solution – there are technical or cost trade-offs involved, and it is made more difficult by the lack of open data for most databases. However, I hope this information is helpful to you. Please let me know if you still have any questions.

- Demian