Quantcast

Vufind, solr and Drupal

Daniel Bourrion
Hi.

We're at this time taking a look to a possible way to use the vufind/sol/biblio index into the Apache Solr Drupal module http://drupal.org/project/apachesolr

Has somebody already try this ?
--
Avec mes salutations les plus cordiales.
__

Daniel Bourrion, conservateur des bibliothèques
Responsable de la bibliothèque numérique
Ligne directe : 02.44.68.80.50
SCD Université d'Angers - http://bu.univ-angers.fr
Blog du SCD - http://bu.univ-angers.fr/blog/
Bu Saint Serge - 57 Quai Félix Faure - 49100 Angers cedex

***********************************
" Et par le pouvoir d'un mot
Je recommence ma vie "
                       Paul Eluard
***********************************
blog perso : http://www.face-ecran.fr

Re: Vufind, solr and Drupal

Demian Katz

At a glance, I don’t think that is going to work for you – the Apache Solr Drupal module appears to have its own required schema/solrconfig settings, so I don’t think you can easily make it talk to VuFind’s Solr index.  Additionally, much of VuFind’s strength comes not from the underlying index but from the PHP code which wraps around it – directly accessing the index won’t help you display your data effectively within Drupal.  I haven’t actually looked at this in any depth, so maybe I’m being unduly pessimistic and there is actually a way to take advantage of the module…  but I think you’ll get better results if you took a different approach, like building a simple API into VuFind for exposing search results and facet counts for embedding in other systems.

- Demian

Re: Vufind, solr and Drupal

doakym
Is it possible to make the integration of drupal VuFind with today?

Re: Vufind, solr and Drupal

Demian Katz
There is no direct interface between Drupal and VuFind at this time -- VuFind is designed as a complete, stand-alone system. What are you trying to do? Perhaps we can help if we know more about your needs.

I try to integrate vufind with Drupal, because i need make a search in a website of vufind using drupal and display results in drupal.
For example in my website in drupal i search the book "Sense and sensibility", then the search engine connects with website of VuFind  and displays matches for "Sense and Sensibility".

Re: Vufind, solr and Drupal

Demian Katz
> I try to integrate vufind with Drupal, because i need make a search in a
> website of vufind using drupal and display results in drupal.
> For example in my website in drupal i search the book "Sense and
> sensibility", then the search engine connects with website of VuFind  and
> displays matches for "Sense and Sensibility".

Do you need to display the results within the Drupal site, or do you simply need to launch the search from within Drupal?

If you just need to launch the search, you can copy the <form> containing the search box from your VuFind source and copy it into Drupal (possibly with some minor URL path adjustments to be sure it points to the correct place). Submitting the form should then initiate a VuFind search. This is the technique we use at Villanova to integrate our Concrete5 CMS with VuFind -- the two systems are skinned to look alike but are otherwise independent (see http://library.villanova.edu).

If you need to display the results within Drupal, this is more difficult. However, VuFind does have the ability to provide search results as an RSS feed, so one approach might be to construct an RSS request and then parse the response to build a Drupal display. By default, VuFind's RSS results are sorted by modification date, but some parameters can be added to override this behavior and get the standard sort order. I can provide more details if you need them.

Re: Vufind, solr and Drupal

doakym
I need display results in drupal :(, I try to use RSS, but the RSS only export the title and ID of book, and not the author, description and image.
I'd like to hear more options if they exist.

Re: Vufind, solr and Drupal

Demian Katz
Which version of VuFind are you using? The current release should include more than just title and ID. Here's a sample entry:

    <item>
      <title>Multivariate time series analysis : with R and financial applications /</title>
      <pubDate>Fri, 28 Feb 2014 13:36:45 +0000</pubDate>
      <link>http://vu61162/vufind3/Record/1480910</link>
      <guid>http://vu61162/vufind3/Record/1480910</guid>
      <author>Tsay, Ruey S., 1951-</author>
      <dc:format>Book</dc:format>
      <dc:date>2014</dc:date>
      <dc:creator>Tsay, Ruey S., 1951-</dc:creator>
      <slash:comments>0</slash:comments>
    </item>

That at least gets you the author, publication date and format. If you want the image as well, I believe that could be accomplished without too much additional work (I might be able to help, or at least point you in the right direction).