VuFind on OpenSUSE

Sergey Lesenko
Hi all,

I have VuFind 1.2 installation on OpenSUSE 11.4. It's used MySQL.

I can run:
http://localhost:8080/solr/biblio/admin/
http://localhost:8080/solr/authority/admin/

But for http://localhost:8080/vufind/ I receive:

HTTP ERROR: 404
NOT_FOUND
RequestURI=/vufind/

Thank you for any insights you can provide.

-Sergey

Re: VuFind on OpenSUSE

Václav Rosecký
Hi
http://localhost:8080/solr/biblio/admin/ is solr index running onJetty
webserver, which vufind uses for searching. Vufind (PHPaplications)
needs Apache HTTP Server with PHP support. So installApache HTTP
Server and configure
it(http://vufind.org/wiki/vufind_on_linux#install_apache_http_server).
Vaclav

2011/12/8 Sergey Lesenko <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all,
>
> I have VuFind 1.2 installation on OpenSUSE 11.4. It's used MySQL.
>
> I can run:
> http://localhost:8080/solr/biblio/admin/
> http://localhost:8080/solr/authority/admin/
>
> But for http://localhost:8080/vufind/ I receive:
>
> HTTP ERROR: 404
> NOT_FOUND
> RequestURI=/vufind/
>
> Thank you for any insights you can provide.
>
> -Sergey

Re: VuFind on OpenSUSE

Demian Katz
Just to expand on this, in case you already have Apache installed, make sure that your httpd-vufind.conf file in /usr/local/vufind is properly configured and has been linked into your main Apache configuration either by an include statement or by being copied into a conf.d directory (not sure which standard OpenSUSE uses).

webserver, which vufind uses for searching. Vufind (PHPaplications)
needs Apache HTTP Server with PHP support. So installApache HTTP
Server and configure
it(http://vufind.org/wiki/vufind_on_linux#install_apache_http_server).
Vaclav

2011/12/8 Sergey Lesenko <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all,
>
> I have VuFind 1.2 installation on OpenSUSE 11.4. It's used MySQL.
>
> I can run:
> http://localhost:8080/solr/biblio/admin/
> http://localhost:8080/solr/authority/admin/
>
> But for http://localhost:8080/vufind/ I receive:
>
> HTTP ERROR: 404
> NOT_FOUND
> RequestURI=/vufind/
>
> Thank you for any insights you can provide.
>
> -Sergey

Re: VuFind on OpenSUSE

Sergey Lesenko
Thanks to all.

I suppose my problem in interaction between Apache and Jetty.
I placed sample index.html file into /web and see same result.

http://localhost:8080/index.html

NOT_FOUND
RequestURI=/index.html
Powered by jetty://

Is it possible to see full path of the file? Now config.ini has option debug as true.
But I cannot see debug information.
(For any case phpMyAdmin works well, I run Apache as root user.)

Re: VuFind on OpenSUSE

Demian Katz
By default, Jetty and Solr should be running on port 8080 while Apache should be running on port 80.

If Jetty and Solr are running correctly, you should see a Solr admin screen at http://localhost:8080/solr.

If you want to test Apache, you should be looking at port 80 (plain hold http://localhost), not port 8080 -- that is probably why your index.html test failed.  If you want to test that Apache is working, you should figure out where the default Apache web root is located (often /var/www, but it may vary from OS to OS) and put your index.html there -- then look at http://localhost/index.html.  If that works, the next step is to figure out why VuFind isn't working at http://localhost/vufind.

I hope this helps get you on the right track, but let us know if you are still stuck!

VuFind 1.3 on OpenSUSE 11.4

fdrojo
Hi Sergei, Demian and Community Please, can you give me a procedure or explain how to install VuFind in openSUSE 11.4 ? Excuse me, but I am a simple user (I am not a developer) I was following the VuFind web Site, but I can't make it work. Thank you in advance Fede

Re: VuFind 1.3 on OpenSUSE 11.4

Demian Katz
I'm not at all familiar with OpenSUSE, so I can't offer specific instructions, but if you let us know how far you have gotten and exactly what problems you are running into, perhaps we can offer some suggestions based on those clues.

- Demian

Re: VuFind 1.3 on OpenSUSE 11.4

Jason Stirnaman
Fede,
Any progress? We run VuFind 1.1-1.2 and SLES 11.1. So we're a bit behind you but may be able to fill in some blanks.

Jason

Jason Stirnaman
Biomedical Librarian, Digital Projects
A.R. Dykes Library, University of Kansas Medical Center
913-588-7319
>>> On 8/8/2012 at 1:21 AM, in message <[hidden email]>, fdrojo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Sergei, Demian and Community

Please, can you give me a procedure or explain how to install VuFind in openSUSE 11.4 ?
Excuse me, but I am a simple user (I am not a developer)
I was following the VuFind web Site, but I can't make it work.

Thank you in advance

Fede

Re: VuFind 1.3 on OpenSUSE 11.4

fdrojo
Demian

Thank you for your reply.
I try many times to install but I can´t run it !.

From my point of view, my server work well because I have other applications running properly (using Apache, MySql, php).

First: I tried put vufind folder in /srv/www/htdocs/
I execute ./install (after chmod). It run ok but in localhost:8080 nothing seems.

Second: I put vufind folder in /usr/local/
Again, I execute ./install (after chmod). Again, in localhost:8080 not work.

In both cases, the database were created successfully. I see this from phpMyAdmin.

Thank you for any help.
Sorry, I am new and simple user !

fede

2012/8/8 Demian Katz [via vufind-tech] <[hidden email]>
I'm not at all familiar with OpenSUSE, so I can't offer specific instructions, but if you let us know how far you have gotten and exactly what problems you are running into, perhaps we can offer some suggestions based on those clues.

- Demian

Hi Sergei, Demian and Community Please, can you give me a procedure or explain how to install VuFind in openSUSE 11.4 ? Excuse me, but I am a simple user (I am not a developer) I was following the VuFind web Site, but I can't make it work. Thank you in advance Fede

Sent from the vufind-tech mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

http://vufind-tech.2307425.n4.nabble.com/VuFind-on-OpenSUSE-tp4171807p4654403.html
To unsubscribe from VuFind on OpenSUSE, click here.
NAML

Re: VuFind 1.3 on OpenSUSE 11.4

fdrojo
Jason

Thank you for your contact !
Because I am not a technician, I made a comparison between redhat procedure and general guide to installation of VuFind.
However, nothing work.

Despite being a simple user, I love openSUSE! (before I was user of ubuntu),
so I would like to try again, again, and again to install VuFind in this OS.

I am using openSUSE 11.4 with PHP 5.2.14 (I make a downgrade from default PHP version because  I have installed OpenSUSE server from DVD)

Please, can you give me any tip of how to correctly install?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards

Fede

2012/8/9 jstirnaman [via vufind-tech] <[hidden email]>
Fede,
Any progress? We run VuFind 1.1-1.2 and SLES 11.1. So we're a bit behind you but may be able to fill in some blanks.

Jason

Jason Stirnaman
Biomedical Librarian, Digital Projects
A.R. Dykes Library, University of Kansas Medical Center
913-588-7319
>>> On 8/8/2012 at 1:21 AM, in message <[hidden email]>, fdrojo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Sergei, Demian and Community

Please, can you give me a procedure or explain how to install VuFind in openSUSE 11.4 ?
Excuse me, but I am a simple user (I am not a developer)
I was following the VuFind web Site, but I can't make it work.

Thank you in advance

Fede

http://vufind-tech.2307425.n4.nabble.com/VuFind-on-OpenSUSE-tp4171807p4654413.html
To unsubscribe from VuFind on OpenSUSE, click here.
NAML

Re: VuFind 1.3 on OpenSUSE 11.4

After you run install, do you run the VuFind startup script?

./vufind.sh start

You won't see anything on localhost:8080 until the Solr process has been started.  If you haven't started it, try that.  If starting it doesn't work, there might be some clues in the output of the startup script.  You can use the JETTY_CONSOLE variable to redirect the output to a file for easier reference...  i.e.

JETTY_CONSOLE=/tmp/jetty.log ./vufind.sh start

- Demian

Re: VuFind 1.3 on OpenSUSE 11.4

Filipe MS Bento (PT)
And even  http://localhost:8080/ will give you "Directory Listing Denied", by default (if not in mistake, and you haven't other webs running in this particular port).

To check SOLR, and like mentioned in my second reply to your initial message in vufind-general, after starting vufind like Demian mentioned, "is SOLR up & running (default: http://localhost:8080/solr/)", you should use http://localhost:8080/solr/ or http://server-hostname:8080/solr/ if accessed outside of it (and port 8080 [TCP] open to it).

I guess you mean "http://localhost/vufind/", the default local URL to VuFind's web frontend, user interface, when accessing from a browser, or command line's wget or curl, within the server itself, right?

Best of lucks,

Filipe

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 2:51 AM, Demian Katz <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Computer Science Specialist | Long Term LOA (Leave of Absence) from the University of Aveiro, Portugal
Electronic & Telecommunication Engineering (5 yrs degree, UA) * MSc in Electronic Information Management (U.Sheffield, UK)
European Space Agency [ESA] Industrial Placement (IRS / ESRIN – European Space Research Institute, Frascati [Rome], Italy)
ICPD Doctorate Candidate (UA | U.Porto) * PhD Researcher (UA/CETAC.Media), grant by FCT - Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology
President/Chair of USE.pt Steering Committee (Portuguese Ex Libris Users’ National Association, hosted by Portuguese Parliament's Library, Palácio de S. Bento, Lisbon, http://metis.fe.up.pt/use/)

Re: VuFind 1.3 on OpenSUSE 11.4

fdrojo
Hi Filipe, Demian, Jason

I make a new install

a) In the URL http://localhost
the message is:

it works !

b) In the URL http://localhost:8080/
the message is:

Error 404 - Not Found.
No context on this server matched or handled this request.
Contexts known to this server are:

    /solr ---> org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext@7dc21ece{/solr,jar:file:/usr/local/vufind/solr/jetty/webapps/solr.war!/}

c) In the URL http://localhost:8080/vufind/
the message is (like sergey):

HTTP ERROR: 404
NOT_FOUND
RequestURI=/vufind/
Powered by jetty://

d) In the URL http://localhost:8080/solr/
I can see options in a white screen (please see solr-on-8080.png):

Welcome to Solr!
Solr Admin biblio
Admin authority
Admin stats

please, see attach screen SolrAdmin-screen.png

Am I going the right way?

Thank you in advance !

federico

Re: VuFind 1.3 on OpenSUSE 11.4

Demian Katz
Sounds like Solr is working correctly.  VuFind itself should be at http://localhost/vufind (not localhost:8080/vufind).

No context on this server matched or handled this request.
Contexts known to this server are:

    /solr --->
org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext@7dc21ece{/solr,jar:file:/usr/local/vufind/solr/jetty/webapps/solr.war!/}

c) In the URL http://localhost:8080/vufind/
the message is (like sergey):

HTTP ERROR: 404
NOT_FOUND
RequestURI=/vufind/
Powered by jetty://

d) In the URL http://localhost:8080/solr/
I can see options in a white screen (please see
http://vufind-tech.2307425.n4.nabble.com/file/n4654439/solr-on-8080.png
solr-on-8080.png ):

Welcome to Solr!
Solr Admin biblio
Admin authority
Admin stats

please, see attach screen
http://vufind-tech.2307425.n4.nabble.com/file/n4654439/SolrAdmin-screen.png
SolrAdmin-screen.png

Am I going the right way?

Thank you in advance !

federico

Re: VuFind 1.3 on OpenSUSE 11.4

Filipe MS Bento (PT)
Hi, Fede.

Good. Like Demian mentioned, you have SOLR up & running; that is half-way to have a working VuFind install, I would say!

Can you share what you get when accessing http://localhost/vufind ?

(by default it runs in port 80 [in browsers = not specifying port number], not 8080, like Demian also mentioned... if you have no other webs running in this port number, only SOLR, by default, is running in 8080 [not VuFind user interface = web site], and should never, ever, be open to public access (port 8080)... but, one step a time).

If not a working version (simikar to  http://vufind.org/demo/), can you set

[System]
debug            = "1"

in web/conf/config.ini

and share the error / message given?

All the best,

Filipe

Filipe Manuel S. Bento  |  http://about.filipebento.pt/

A book that shall be really a reference to all of us (has a lot of VuFind related entries):
Library Automation and OPAC 2.0: Information Access and Services in the 2.0 Landscape
http://www.igi-global.com/book/library-automation-opac/63870
(read it for free: request your free 60-day e-book exam copy)

http://localhost/vufind