Quantcast

VuFind imported items hierarchy...

Layale Bassil

Hello,

I would like to  know if VuFind preserves the hierarchy if the imported items from DSpace. Let us assume I have a community A which has a collection B and 2 items inside collection B. If I import these items into VuFind, will it preserve the hierarchy of the items (Community A à Collection B à Item 1 and Item 2)?

Another thing regarding the commenting section, it requires login. If I want to keep it public but have a moderator approves the added comments, is this doable? Can anyone add the comment that he likes without being moderated?

Thank you in advance,

Regards.

Re: VuFind imported items hierarchy...

The example DSpace mappings do not account for the DSpace hierarchy – I do not believe that any of the necessary contextual information is included with the default DSpace Dublin Core output. I’m not sure if it is possible to add it, or to export different formats, since I am not personally familiar with DSpace. However, if there is a way to extract the necessary information from DSpace, VuFind is able to index it, as described at https://vufind.org/wiki/indexing:hierarchies_and_collections. Let me know if I can be of more assistance with this.

Regarding comments, right now, the comment system is linked to user accounts, and there is no moderation system. It would certainly be possible to add both anonymous comments and comment moderation, but both of these things would be new features that would require some adjustments to the database schema as well as some new coding. We actually have JIRA tickets that request these features:

https://vufind.org/jira/browse/VUFIND-690

https://vufind.org/jira/browse/VUFIND-704

However, as far as I know, no one has worked on implementing either. If you have time to invest in these developments, I would be happy to provide support and advice – I just lack the time to fully implement these on my own right now. If not, feel free to vote on the tickets, and that will help encourage others to work on these things in future.

- Demian

Re: VuFind imported items hierarchy...

Layale Bassil

Hello Demian,

Thank you so much for your support. I will try to apply the hierarchy as suggested in the link you provided and get back to you for further questions. But in order to be able to start, if I am exporting my items from DSpace and then harvesting them into VuFind, where can I find the Solr fields relating to hierarchy like (hierarchytype, hierarchy_browse, hierarchy_top_id, etc…)? how and when do I populate these fields?

Is there any search or view in the current VuFind online demo version where I can see a tree like hierarchy of items? Or in any other working VuFind installation?

Regarding commenting, it would be great if someone develops it. I will vote for the below two Jira tasks ask you suggested. However, can I stop this feature for now since the system won’t allow users to register and then be able to login.

Thank you again,

Regards.

Re: VuFind imported items hierarchy...

Demian Katz

The Solr fields related to hierarchy are part of the schema by default. You simply need to populate them for any records that form part of a hierarchy. Depending on how you fill them in (as described on the wiki page), they can either represent a “collection” – a node in the hierarchy – or an item that is part of a collection. Some additional configuration settings (also described in the wiki) need to be turned on to make VuFind recognize and use these fields. If you would find it helpful to look at an example of how the hierarchy fields are used in practice, you might find the MARC records and mappings in this pull request useful:

https://github.com/vufind-org/vufind/pull/934

This is all totally fake data, but it’s work in progress on writing some automated tests of the collection functionality so that we can ensure that they continue to work as the code is changed over time.

The VuFind online demo does not currently use a hierarchy, but you can find an example of it in Villanova’s digital library:

https://digital.library.villanova.edu/

Here is the top level showing all of the collections:

https://digital.library.villanova.edu/Collection/

As you navigate inward, you will see that some items go directly to digital assets, while others go to collections of additional items. Note the “view context” link, which pops up a visual tree of the hierarchy. This VuFind instance has been customized fairly heavily to support our digital library, but all of the hierarchical behavior on display is standard “out of the box” VuFind.

Please let me know if you still have questions about any of this – I realize that it is a bit confusing, so I’m happy to help clarify things as needed.

Regarding comments, if you simply want to turn them off, see the [Social] section of config.ini – this allows you to disable several features that currently rely on user logins.

https://github.com/vufind-org/vufind/blob/master/config/vufind/config.ini#L1535

- Demian

[SPAM] RE: VuFind imported items hierarchy...

Layale Bassil

Hello Demian,

Thank you always for your continuous support. My problem is that I need to get my data from DSpace, so I am using the OAI-Harvester which has a flat representation of data; it is only showing a one level field not even the correct Dublin core field (i.e: dc.contributor.author is harvested as dc.contributor è it is only taking the first part of the dc field). How can I preserve hierarchy in this case?

How can I get my data from DSpace and be able to preserver the collection and items hierarchy?

Any help or suggestion is highly appreciated.

Re: VuFind imported items hierarchy...

Sorry for the late reply – I was at a conference last week and this got buried in my inbox.

Unfortunately, I don’t know enough about DSpace to answer this question especially well. I suspect it might be worth talking to the DSpace community to proceed with this – from VuFind’s perspective, there are a few things that might help:

a.)    The ability to customize the OAI Dublin Core output to include additional information on the DSpace side

b.)    The ability to use richer metadata than Dublin Core in the OAI-PMH server

c.)     The ability to export data in some other fashion

I have never worked with DSpace, so I simply don’t know what is possible. I can only tell you what VuFind needs as input to create a useful structure. Since DSpace is open source, I’m sure there has to be some way to produce that input – but since I am not familiar with the project, I’m not sure what the path of least resistance might be.

If you don’t have any DSpace contacts, let me know and perhaps I can find someone; I’m pretty sure I spoke to a DSpace developer at a recent conference, and if I can track down his name, he might be able to point you in the right direction… but you might do just as well to go directly to the DSpace community (see http://www.dspace.org/community for some starting points) and see if they can help you with the idea of exporting DSpace hierarchy as part of the OAI-PMH output.

Please let me know how else I can be of assistance – I’m definitely happy to join a conversation with a DSpace developer and see how we can meet in the middle… I just think you’re going to need a little more guidance from the DSpace side before I’ll be in a position to be particularly helpful.

- Demian

Thank you always for your continuous support. My problem is that I need to get my data from DSpace, so I am using the OAI-Harvester which has a flat representation of data; it is only showing a one level field not even the correct Dublin core field (i.e: dc.contributor.author is harvested as dc.contributor è it is only taking the first part of the dc field). How can I preserve hierarchy in this case?

How can I get my data from DSpace and be able to preserver the collection and items hierarchy?

Any help or suggestion is highly appreciated.

[SPAM] RE: VuFind imported items hierarchy...

Layale Bassil

Hello Demian,

Thank you as always for the continuous support. I am attaching a sample output of the oai export from DSpace. This xml file is being imported into VuFind. I will contact DSpace to see if I have other options.

But I was reading about the hierarchies and collections under https://vufind.org/wiki/indexing:hierarchies_and_collections and feel confused. How can I fill all the fields needed for the Solr Setup? When do I fill them? (i.e. hierarchytype, hierarchy_browse, hierarchy_top_id, etc…) for example how can I know what the Solr ID of the record is?

There is an example when using the top level collection identifier:

hierarchy_top_id = 1234

hierarchy_top_title = My Collection

hierarchy_browse = My Collection{{{_ID_}}}1234

where do I fill these? Sorry but I am somehow confused about it… I check the https://digital.library.villanova.edu/Collection/ you provided and this is exactly what I want, any idea how did they populate the data? Is it in marc format?

If you can send me a sample (couple of records) marc file which I can import into VuFind having a hierarchy of collections and items maybe the idea gets clearer. Or having the attached file what should I edit to create a hierarchy like structure?

I am just afraid that I will be stuck unable to preserve the hierarchy when exporting from DSpace.

Thank you again for the support, highly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Layale.

Thank you always for your continuous support. My problem is that I need to get my data from DSpace, so I am using the OAI-Harvester which has a flat representation of data; it is only showing a one level field not even the correct Dublin core field (i.e: dc.contributor.author is harvested as dc.contributor è it is only taking the first part of the dc field). How can I preserve hierarchy in this case?

How can I get my data from DSpace and be able to preserver the collection and items hierarchy?

Any help or suggestion is highly appreciated.

1490373193_oai_192_168_100_252_123456789_16.xml (6K) Download Attachment

Re: VuFind imported items hierarchy...

Take a look at this pull request – we’re in the process of developing some automated tests for the collection functionality, and as a first step, we have created a sample MARC file and custom mappings to create an example collection structure. The tests aren’t written yet, but the sample data is visible here:

https://github.com/vufind-org/vufind/pull/934

That might help clarify some things.

The challenge, of course, is that each record needs to contain data about its context – like the IDs and names of its parents. In the case of our digital library, we write a custom exporter that includes all of this information with the metadata. My assumption is that DSpace is not going to give you this information by default – however, it must have access to the information internally, so there should be some way to expose it. It’s just my lack of knowledge of DSpace that prevents me from being able to tell you specifically how to achieve that.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if I can help with further clarification!

- Demian

Thank you always for your continuous support. My problem is that I need to get my data from DSpace, so I am using the OAI-Harvester which has a flat representation of data; it is only showing a one level field not even the correct Dublin core field (i.e: dc.contributor.author is harvested as dc.contributor è it is only taking the first part of the dc field). How can I preserve hierarchy in this case?

How can I get my data from DSpace and be able to preserver the collection and items hierarchy?

Any help or suggestion is highly appreciated.

[SPAM] RE: VuFind imported items hierarchy...

Layale Bassil

Hi Demian,

How can I make use the collections.mrc file found under the below link? I have downloaded it, should I import it to VuFind? Or what? Since you said the tests are not written yet, this means I can’t make use of the sample data?

Yeah DSpace can never have these information. But let us assume I write a script that will read the xml files exported from DSpace and edit them and add to them the needed fields, will this work? Can I harvest them using the tool of VuFind?

I just don’t want DSpace to limit the ability to use VuFind.

Thank you again, I just hope I can progress with this hoping to know what I can do next…

Regards.

Thank you always for your continuous support. My problem is that I need to get my data from DSpace, so I am using the OAI-Harvester which has a flat representation of data; it is only showing a one level field not even the correct Dublin core field (i.e: dc.contributor.author is harvested as dc.contributor è it is only taking the first part of the dc field). How can I preserve hierarchy in this case?

How can I get my data from DSpace and be able to preserver the collection and items hierarchy?

Any help or suggestion is highly appreciated.

[SPAM] RE: VuFind imported items hierarchy...

Layale Bassil

Hello again,

If it is possible to share with me any sample data (dummy) that contains a collection and couple of records that I can import into VuFind and see how it will look and how it works and how I can search and filter by collection, etc…

Having this, I will imitate and try to make the data out of DSPace look the same… can I bother you with this?

Many thanks!

Regards.

Thank you always for your continuous support. My problem is that I need to get my data from DSpace, so I am using the OAI-Harvester which has a flat representation of data; it is only showing a one level field not even the correct Dublin core field (i.e: dc.contributor.author is harvested as dc.contributor è it is only taking the first part of the dc field). How can I preserve hierarchy in this case?

How can I get my data from DSpace and be able to preserver the collection and items hierarchy?

Any help or suggestion is highly appreciated.

Re: VuFind imported items hierarchy...

You’ll notice that there are two files in the pull request – the MARC file and also a .properties file that shows how the MARC data is mapped to the collection fields. The MARC mappings have no significance – I simply made them up for the sake of this example, and they do not conform to any standard. But the idea is to show which values go into which fields.

If you copy the mappings from the .properties file in the pull request into your marc_local.properties and then import the MARC file, you should end up with valid collection records in your index. Then if you turn on the settings discussed under “VuFind Configuration” on this wiki page, you should see the collection functionality in action: https://vufind.org/wiki/indexing:hierarchies_and_collections

Assuming you have some way of obtaining the same data from DSpace, you can find a way to get it into VuFind. There are at least two possible approaches that don’t require you to alter DSpace itself (though they might require you to look up data from it):

1.)    Write a tool to alter the XML after harvesting but before ingestion into VuFind; alter the VuFind XSLT to map the XML fields added by your post-processing tool.

2.)    Write custom PHP code to look up the necessary information “on the fly”; alter the VuFind XSLT to call these custom functions during ingest, passing in the record ID as a parameter.

If you need more specifics on any of this, let me know and I’ll be happy to expand on the ideas.

- Demian

Thank you always for your continuous support. My problem is that I need to get my data from DSpace, so I am using the OAI-Harvester which has a flat representation of data; it is only showing a one level field not even the correct Dublin core field (i.e: dc.contributor.author is harvested as dc.contributor è it is only taking the first part of the dc field). How can I preserve hierarchy in this case?

How can I get my data from DSpace and be able to preserver the collection and items hierarchy?

Any help or suggestion is highly appreciated.

Re: VuFind imported items hierarchy...

Layale Bassil

Hello Mr. Demian,

Sorry for the late reply, I was sick for couple of days.

I have made what you suggested in order to import the sample collections.mrc file (after copying the content of the .properties file to the marc_local.properties file).

I managed to import the 10 records available! But I need some help here:

1-      I restarted Solr, after that I browsed VuFind to see how it will handle the layout of the collections hierarchy but I can’t seem to have links working; in other words, if I click on a collection Top Collection 1, it should show the items under this collection but it doesn’t. the Context tab is by default displayed, and when I click on Collection Items tab, it doesn’t show the items under this collection.

2-      Second, I know that you have done lots of customization in the digital Villanova library website, but you have on the right a facet called Collection, how to have this one?

3-      Also when you click on an item, you show “In collection” property, how this is done?

4-      I also know that you have a fully custom breadcrumb display, and your viewer to show the data of each item, none of this is out of the box?

How can I search by collection and filter the items by the parent collection, etc…? I need to know how I can control the display of parent/children records. And be able to display the parent collection of every item and be able to list the items under every collection, etc…

Can I get some guidance in here? At least knowing which files I need to modify…

On another hand, is the newest version of VuFind has major changes?

Many thanks as always… I don’t want to give up trying to achieve what I have to.

Best regards,

Layale.

Thank you always for your continuous support. My problem is that I need to get my data from DSpace, so I am using the OAI-Harvester which has a flat representation of data; it is only showing a one level field not even the correct Dublin core field (i.e: dc.contributor.author is harvested as dc.contributor è it is only taking the first part of the dc field). How can I preserve hierarchy in this case?

How can I get my data from DSpace and be able to preserver the collection and items hierarchy?

Any help or suggestion is highly appreciated.

Re: VuFind imported items hierarchy...

Demian Katz

Hello again; I hope you are feeling better now!

I’m glad to hear that you have made some progress. To answer your questions:

1.)    Can you share your settings from the [Collections] and [Hierarchy] sections of config.ini (see https://github.com/vufind-org/vufind/blob/master/config/vufind/config.ini#L1406) and your HierarchyDefault.ini if you have customized that? It is possible that these settings need to be adjusted in some way to get the behavior you desire. If you show me what you are already doing, I can experiment with it on my test server and suggest some changes.

2.)    To turn on the collection facet, you can simply uncomment this line: https://github.com/vufind-org/vufind/blob/master/config/vufind/facets.ini#L12 – note that this will facet by top-level collections; if you want to facet by parent collections, you can change hierarchy_top_title to hierarchy_parent_title.

3.)    When VuFind is configured correctly, the “in collection” display should work “out of the box.” This is the code that retrieves the collection information: https://github.com/vufind-org/vufind/blob/b08ed2205c21761ec6989312f1e8b5409d3f936d/module/VuFind/src/VuFind/RecordDriver/SolrDefault.php#L1531 – if you want to try to troubleshoot your configuration problems, putting some debugging in here might help point you in the right direction. (Of course, I am always happy to help – but if I don’t reply quickly enough, this is something you can do while you wait).

4.)    You are correct that our viewer and breadcrumb are not “out of the box” code – the data used in both of these places is actually being retrieved from a local custom system and is not using VuFind’s standard infrastructure at all. It’s probably possible to build something similar, and I can help you with the details once you have the more basic stuff working the way you want it to… but the exact code that we have here won’t be of much use to you because it is too specific to our local system.