Quantcast

VuFind and DSpace

Layale Bassil

Hello,

I was wondering how VuFind works with DSpace. I was able to import exported DSpace records into VuFind and see them in the search. But I need to know if we have to export/import regularly DSpace records and import them into VuFind in order to be able to search for the last updated info.

I thought VuFInd directly connects to DSpace database and fetched the latest data directly from the DSpace database.

Can you please advise on how the search from VuFind into DSpace works?

Thanks.

Re: VuFind and DSpace

Demian Katz

No, VuFind does not connect to DSpace directly – it relies on the OAI-PMH protocol to ship over the most recently added/updated records. If you run the harvest-oai.php script regularly, that should keep VuFind up to date.

- Demian

Re: VuFind and DSpace

Layale Bassil

Hello Demian,

Thank you for the reply. No one was able to write a DSpace driver like other ILS drivers (i.e. Koha, etc…)?

On another hand, when I try to login now to the vufind instance I have, am getting the following message:

System Under Maintenance

Our Library Management System is currently under maintenance.

Your account details will be unavailable during this time. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause and contact us for further assistance:

Why is that and how to avoid it?

Thanks.

Thank you for the reply. No one was able to write a DSpace driver like other ILS drivers (i.e. Koha, etc…)?

On another hand, when I try to login now to the vufind instance I have, am getting the following message:

No, VuFind does not connect to DSpace directly – it relies on the OAI-PMH protocol to ship over the most recently added/updated records. If you run the harvest-oai.php script regularly, that should keep VuFind up to date.

- Demian

No, VuFind does not connect to DSpace directly – it relies on the OAI-PMH protocol to ship over the most recently added/updated records. If you run the harvest-oai.php script regularly, that should keep VuFind up to date.

- Demian

Re: VuFind and DSpace

The ILS drivers are designed to obtain real-time status information about physical items and user accounts – i.e. to show what is checked out, to allow holds to be placed, to check on fines, etc. None of these things apply to DSpace, which deals entirely with digital materials. Thus, an ILS driver is not actually necessary. Note that ILS drivers only obtain real-time information about records that are already in the Solr index. In the case of an ILS like Koha or a digital repository like DSpace, the process that loads new records into the VuFind index is independent of the driver code.

I hope that helps clarify the situation, but please let me know if you still have any questions!

Regarding your “System Under Maintenance” message, that suggests that you are either using the NoILS driver, or else that your Koha driver is throwing an exception when being initialized. You might want to double-check that your Koha configuration is still correct and that your VuFind server is able to communicate with your Koha server.

- Demian

Thank you for the reply. No one was able to write a DSpace driver like other ILS drivers (i.e. Koha, etc…)?

On another hand, when I try to login now to the vufind instance I have, am getting the following message:

No, VuFind does not connect to DSpace directly – it relies on the OAI-PMH protocol to ship over the most recently added/updated records. If you run the harvest-oai.php script regularly, that should keep VuFind up to date.

- Demian

Re: VuFind and DSpace

Layale Bassil

Hello Demian,

You are right, I was using a NoILS driver and changed to Koha for testing purposes. I connected to Koha and imported some records. What do they mean by real time search? It is related to my previous question… do I have to always import records from Koha into VuFind or it will directly search the Koha database?

Second, I am getting an error: Notice: Undefined index: - in C:\vufind\module\VuFind\src\VuFind\ILS\Driver\Koha.php

It is the one fetching the location:

$loc = (null != $shelf)

                    ? $loc . ": " . $this->locCodes[$shelf]

                    : $loc . ": " . 'Unknown';

Any suggestion?

Thanks.

Thank you for the reply. No one was able to write a DSpace driver like other ILS drivers (i.e. Koha, etc…)?

On another hand, when I try to login now to the vufind instance I have, am getting the following message:

No, VuFind does not connect to DSpace directly – it relies on the OAI-PMH protocol to ship over the most recently added/updated records. If you run the harvest-oai.php script regularly, that should keep VuFind up to date.

- Demian

Re: VuFind and DSpace

Demian Katz

You need to import bibliographic records from Koha into VuFind on a regular basis. VuFind searches the Koha database directly for item availability statuses and user account information, but it relies on its own Solr index for bibliographic information.

Regarding your notice, I think this means that you need to set up all of your location codes here:

https://github.com/vufind-org/vufind/blob/master/config/vufind/Koha.ini#L11

Do you have a location code known only as “-“?