Quantcast

VuFind add, delete and update records

Gustavo Courault
We can succefully import the marc records from our ILS to VuFind.
We have some large libraries and they add, delete and update items continuosly.
We found an only way to import records or items to VuFind: the shell
script provided by you.
Is there any way that add, update or delete records without import all them?

Thanks in advance
--
Gustavo Courault
http://www.courault.com.ar/

Re: VuFind add, delete and update records

Tod Olson
Hello Gustavo,

What you describe is a common situation, even for single-library installations, and there are ways to deal with it. At our site it takes many hours to do a full export, and several hours to do a full import, so we rely on daily updates.

If you can export only the records that have been added or updated, you can load those with the same scripts that you already use. The new records are added, the updated records overwrite the ole records based on the Solr document ID.

For deletes, there is a script, util/deletes.php, which will take a file of records to delete from the Solr index. That can be just a file of record IDs, one per line, or MARC records, and there may be other options. You just need to use the right switches on the command line.

At our site, we arrange for a daily export from our library management system. It exports all records that have been added or updated since the previous daily export jobs, and it produced a file of record IDs that have been deleted or suppressed from public view.

That's how we deal with the need for daily updates, and I think many sites do something similar.

Best,

-Tod

Tod Olson <[hidden email]>
Systems Librarian
Interim Director for Integrated Library Systems
University of Chicago Library