VuFind Community Mission Statement - draft 2

VuFind Community Mission Statement - draft 2

Demian Katz

Thanks to everyone who commented on yesterday’s mission statement draft. There were some very good suggestions, and I have created a second revision designed to reflect the community’s emphasis on support and to better convey that VuFind works with a variety of different metadata types for different kinds of institutions. Here is the second draft:

“The mission of the VuFind Community is to develop and support VuFind, a free, open source discovery application. VuFind provides a universal, user-oriented and configurable interface to support common search, browse and patron account operations across a wide variety of information systems and metadata types. VuFind is designed to be friendly both for end users and for developers/administrators, providing infrastructure for innovation and enabling organizations to make choices about their back-end systems without significantly impacting their front-facing user experience. The Community places a priority on mutual support and knowledge sharing, maintaining documentation and multiple communication channels in order to welcome newcomers and enable collaborative planning and problem solving.”

I think this is a significant improvement on the first draft, but I would still welcome further suggestions if anyone feels it could be made better. Thanks again for your valuable input!