VuFind/AJAX 500 internal error

Byron Smith-4

Hi All,

We are currently working with Brimbank Libraries to install the VuFind driver for the Amlib LMS (running on SQL Server).  The connector is working without any problem in our test environment where we have VuFind and Amlib running together on the one server.

At Brimbank Library we have VuFind and Amlib running on separate servers.  We have verified that the VuFind server can communicate successfully with the Amlib Server on the SQL Server port and that the SQL Server driver for PHP is installed and working.

When doing a search in VuFind (with the Amlib driver enabled) the results come back but the AJAX information coming from AMLIB hangs with the word “Loading”.  After looking at the VuFind page loading in FireBug we can see that everything loads ok except for the area below which is giving an 500 Internal Error:

JSON

Vufind/AJAX

In attempting to troubleshoot the issue we have setup a basic test PHP script that we are running from the vufind/web folder that uses the exact same credentials as the LMS driver.  This test PHP script is working without any problem and pulling data from the library server.  The issue seems to present when running through AJAX.  Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing an internal error for Vufind/Ajax or anyway I can troubleshoot what the problem might be?

Regards,

Byron

Re: VuFind/AJAX 500 internal error

David Maus
Hi Byron,

At Fri, 4 May 2012 16:44:19 +1000,
Byron Smith wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> [...]
>
> When doing a search in VuFind (with the Amlib driver enabled) the
> results come back but the AJAX information coming from AMLIB hangs
> with the word “Loading”.  After looking at the VuFind page loading
> in FireBug we can see that everything loads ok except for the area
> below which is giving an 500 Internal Error:
>
> JSON
>
> Vufind/AJAX
>
> In attempting to troubleshoot the issue we have setup a basic test
> PHP script that we are running from the vufind/web folder that uses
> the exact same credentials as the LMS driver.  This test PHP script
> is working without any problem and > pulling data from the library
> server.  The issue seems to present when running through AJAX.  Does
> anyone have any ideas on what could be causing an internal error for
> Vufind/Ajax or anyway I can troubleshoot what the problem might be?
I would approach this problem as follows:

 1. Find out what is sending the 500 response (e.g. VuFind, Webserver, PHP)

 Check if the 500 contains a body and check the content of the body

 2. If the problem is caused by VuFind and/or PHP try to get a
 stacktrace: IIRC the VuFind error page contains a stacktrace if you
 set System/debug = true; if it is not an error page check the PHP logs
 and/or increase the error reporting level (i.e. set to E_ALL).

HTH,
  -- David
--
David Maus
Herzog August Bibliothek - D-38299 Wolfenbuettel

PGP Key 0x0CC2E093512F7385
Fingerprint 1AD2 EE67 224F 18C5 EA55  98AD 0CC2 E093 512F 7385

Re: VuFind/AJAX 500 internal error

Byron Smith-4

Hi Demian,

When I click on the Holdings Tab there is no information in that tab.  After looking at the Apache access.log I can see there is a 500 error is with Ajax getItemStatuses.  Below is an example string which is giving me a 500 error:

/vufind/AJAX/JSON?method=getItemStatuses&_=1338525526293&id%5B%5D=430896&id%5B%5D=110595&id%5B%5D=482899&id%5B%5D=462949&id%5B%5D=501669&id%5B%5D=429388&id%5B%5D=260368&id%5B%5D=503029&id%5B%5D=517618&id%5B%5D=526776&id%5B%5D=276888&id%5B%5D=414808&id%5B%5D=261945&id%5B%5D=227386&id%5B%5D=375363&id%5B%5D=410002&id%5B%5D=330936&id%5B%5D=523790&id%5B%5D=471350&id%5B%5D=344676 HTTP/1.1" 500 –

I have attached the access log with this email.  Any idea on what I can try from here?

Regards,

Byron

David's suggestions are a good place to start with the AJAX troubleshooting.  One other question: if you click on a record, do you see correct holdings information in the holdings tab?  If that works but AJAX does not, it suggests that the problem may be specifically related to your getStatuses() driver method.  If the holdings tab is also broken, then it's a more general driver issue, and you may find it easier to debug directly in the holdings tab (simply by putting echo statements in your driver to figure out what's breaking) without having to deal with the indirect nature of the AJAX calls.

- Demian

access.log (639K) Download Attachment

Re: VuFind/AJAX 500 internal error

Demian Katz
If you go directly to the AJAX URL that is giving the 500 error, what do you see in your browser?  A blank screen or an error message?  What happens if you turn on debug in config.ini?

If you look at the record with the empty holdings tab on your test server, do you see data in the holdings tab there?  Again, does turning on debug give you any extra messages?

If turning on debug doesn't give you anything, it might be worth putting well-placed "echo" and/or "die" statements inside your driver to see if you can figure out where/how it is failing.

Let me know if you still need more help!

- Demian

David's suggestions are a good place to start with the AJAX troubleshooting.  One other question: if you click on a record, do you see correct holdings information in the holdings tab?  If that works but AJAX does not, it suggests that the problem may be specifically related to your getStatuses() driver method.  If the holdings tab is also broken, then it's a more general driver issue, and you may find it easier to debug directly in the holdings tab (simply by putting echo statements in your driver to figure out what's breaking) without having to deal with the indirect nature of the AJAX calls.

- Demian

Re: VuFind/AJAX 500 internal error

Byron Smith-4

Hi Demian,

After setting up a test vufind server with the same LMS driver installed (the driver is working on the test server) I suspect that the errors are a result of the driver not connecting to the LMS.  If I change the driver database config options to made up data I am able to replicate the same errors (as described in my last email) on my vufind test server.

Although I suspect it is a connection issue to the LMS the strange thing is that I can verify that I can communicate to the LMS server on port 1433 (Sql Server) and I can also get data to return using a php test script which uses identical database configuration options as the vufind driver and sits in the vufind/web folder.

Turning on debug in the config.ini does not return any error information and if I go to the AJAX URL is just gives me a 500 internal error message.

Regards,

Byron

David's suggestions are a good place to start with the AJAX troubleshooting.  One other question: if you click on a record, do you see correct holdings information in the holdings tab?  If that works but AJAX does not, it suggests that the problem may be specifically related to your getStatuses() driver method.  If the holdings tab is also broken, then it's a more general driver issue, and you may find it easier to debug directly in the holdings tab (simply by putting echo statements in your driver to figure out what's breaking) without having to deal with the indirect nature of the AJAX calls.

- Demian

Re: VuFind/AJAX 500 internal error

David Maus
Hi Byron,

At Tue, 5 Jun 2012 16:36:14 +1000,
Byron Smith wrote:

> Turning on debug in the config.ini does not return any error
> information and if I go to the AJAX URL is just gives me a 500
> internal error message.

Does the PHP log say anything about the 500? I.e. increase the PHP
debugging level in php.ini to E_ALL and call the problematic URL. If
something goes wrong in PHP it should show up in the PHP logs.

Best,
  -- David
--
David Maus
Herzog August Bibliothek - D-38299 Wolfenbuettel
Phone: +49-5331-808-317
Email: [hidden email]

PGP Key 0x0CC2E093512F7385
Fingerprint 1AD2 EE67 224F 18C5 EA55  98AD 0CC2 E093 512F 7385

Re: VuFind/AJAX 500 internal error

Byron Smith-4
Hi David,

Thanks for this suggestion.  I set Error_reporting = E_ALL in the php.ini
and restarted apache for good measure but no data returned to the specified
log file.

I have asked for a backup of the database for me to test locally to see if I
am able to connect to the database in my test environment.

Regards,

Byron

> Turning on debug in the config.ini does not return any error
> information and if I go to the AJAX URL is just gives me a 500
> internal error message.

Does the PHP log say anything about the 500? I.e. increase the PHP
debugging level in php.ini to E_ALL and call the problematic URL. If
something goes wrong in PHP it should show up in the PHP logs.

Best,
  -- David
--
David Maus
Herzog August Bibliothek - D-38299 Wolfenbuettel
Phone: +49-5331-808-317
Email: [hidden email]

PGP Key 0x0CC2E093512F7385
Fingerprint 1AD2 EE67 224F 18C5 EA55  98AD 0CC2 E093 512F 7385

Re: VuFind/AJAX 500 internal error

Demian Katz
If you want to eliminate the possibility that something somewhere is overriding the php.ini error setting, you can try adding:

error_reporting(E_ALL);

directly to the driver code near the point of failure.

It also might be useful to set the debug level up to 5 in the [Database] section of config.ini just in case VuFind's DB_DataObject layer is somehow conflicting with the driver and creating a problem (though I don't think this is likely, since then it probably wouldn't work on the test server either).

Have you compared your PHP and VuFind configurations between the production and test servers to see if there are any significant differences that might make an impact -- things like use of a PHP accelerator, different session storage mechanisms, etc.?

Thanks a lot Demian the error_reporting(E_ALL) in the driver did the trick.
Straight away I could see it was having trouble parsing the .ini
configuration file on line 5 (password).

I have been pulling my hair out all because of a simple password!  The
strange thing is the password that was being used was exactly the same as
the test PHP script which was bringing back results from the LMS server.
The password had an exclamation mark in it which I think might have caused
the problem.  Anyway all is working now and I really appreciate the help in
figuring this out!

Regards,

Byron

If you want to eliminate the possibility that something somewhere is
overriding the php.ini error setting, you can try adding:

error_reporting(E_ALL);

directly to the driver code near the point of failure.

It also might be useful to set the debug level up to 5 in the [Database]
section of config.ini just in case VuFind's DB_DataObject layer is somehow
conflicting with the driver and creating a problem (though I don't think
this is likely, since then it probably wouldn't work on the test server
either).

Have you compared your PHP and VuFind configurations between the production
and test servers to see if there are any significant differences that might
make an impact -- things like use of a PHP accelerator, different session
storage mechanisms, etc.?

If you have different versions of PHP on your servers, that might explain the issue -- PHP's configuration file parsing got more strict somewhere along the way, so newer versions tend to complain more than older versions.