User experience capturing in VuFind

P. S. Mukhopadhyay
Could anyone pl guide me whether or not it is possible to implement any user experience capturing tool (like Tin Can - https://tincanapi.com/libraries/ as in the case of LCMS) in VuFind 3.x?

Dr. Parthasarathi Mukhopadhyay
Associate Professor, Department of Library and Information Science, University of Kalyani,
Kalyani - 741 235 (WB), India

Re: User experience capturing in VuFind

Demian Katz

This is not something that has currently been done in VuFind. Probably the closest thing we currently have is support for Google Analytics and Piwik, which allow you to capture and analyze user behavior, but that is a more general tool than Tin Can, which is capturing more specific data in a more specialized way.

It certainly appears to be technically possible to implement Tin Can with VuFind – both PHP and Javascript libraries are available, so this could be approached from either the template or controller side, depending on requirements. It looks like significant thought would need to go into designing an implementation, because decisions would have to be made about what to communicate and when/where to communicate it. Since there is no obvious single correct answer to the design, it might also be somewhat difficult to create a generic implementation as a standard feature – it would probably be significantly easier to start out by approaching this as a local customization, and then perhaps generalizing it after learning from that experience.

If anyone is interested in experimenting with this, I’m certainly happy to discuss it further and help brainstorm, but it is not an area that I am currently familiar with.

- Demian

Associate Professor, Department of Library and Information Science, University of Kalyani,
Kalyani - 741 235 (WB), India

Autocomplete with remote SolrAuth

Kristof Keßler
Dear all,

I am looking into using a remote SolrAuth Index for autocompletion. As
far as I can see currently SolrAuth works with a local index only.
Is this correct?
If it is, then has somebody solved this already?

Thanks!

All the best,

Kristof

Re: Autocomplete with remote SolrAuth

Demian Katz

The SolrAuth autocompletion service uses the VuFind SolrAuth service, which is created by this factory:

https://github.com/vufind-org/vufind/blob/master/module/VuFind/src/VuFind/Search/Factory/SolrAuthBackendFactory.php

If you want the authority index to live on a different server than the biblio index, you'll need to extend/customize this factory to point at a different URL than its parent factory does.

I think this could be a useful configurable feature, perhaps adding an optional base URL setting to authority.ini for that purpose. If you'd like to open a pull request to make this more flexible in the core code, that would be a useful contribution to the project. If you don' t have time or need more help, let me know and I can look into this when I'm back from vacation next week.

- Demian

https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flists.sourceforge.net%2Flists%2Flistinfo%2Fvufind-tech&data=01%7C01%7Cdemian.katz%40villanova.edu%7C59cab657b31f4defa8bc08d413a76080%7C765a8de5cf9444f09cafae5bf8cfa366%7C1&sdata=4OnAxcRSGbZkdWDU9rRg9w9%2Fq0Wi5XfJPiH9NHBWnis%3D&reserved=0

Re: Autocomplete with remote SolrAuth

Kristof Keßler

Dear Demian,

thanks for the quick response. I will look into this.

All the best,

Kristof

Am 23.11.2016 um 15:22 schrieb Demian Katz:

[...]

Mit besten Grüßen

Kristof Keßler

Universitätsbibliothek Braunschweig
-Fachinformationsdienst Pharmazie-