Upgrading 4.0

P. S. Mukhopadhyay

Dear All

I just upgraded from vrsion 3.1.3 to newly released 4.0.
The upgradation process went on smoothly.
Solr start/stop is working with some error messages (given below). The biblio core is not starting;localhost:9090/solr shows:

biblio: org.apache.solr.common.SolrException:org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: JVM Error creating core [biblio]: Cannot instantiate SPI class: org.apache.lucene.codecs.simpletext.SimpleTextPostingsFormat

-----------------------
/solr.sh restart
Sending stop command to Solr running on port 9090 ... waiting up to 180 seconds to allow Jetty process 11193 to stop gracefully.
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/codahale/metrics/Metric
    at org.apache.solr.util.SolrCLI.findToolClassesInPackage(SolrCLI.java:502)
    at org.apache.solr.util.SolrCLI.newTool(SolrCLI.java:380)
    at org.apache.solr.util.SolrCLI.main(SolrCLI.java:292)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.codahale.metrics.Metric
    at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:335)
    ... 5 more
Failed removing old solr logs
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/codahale/metrics/Metric
    at org.apache.solr.util.SolrCLI.findToolClassesInPackage(SolrCLI.java:502)
    at org.apache.solr.util.SolrCLI.newTool(SolrCLI.java:380)
    at org.apache.solr.util.SolrCLI.main(SolrCLI.java:292)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.codahale.metrics.Metric
    at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:335)
    ... 5 more
Failed archiving old GC logs
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/codahale/metrics/Metric
    at org.apache.solr.util.SolrCLI.findToolClassesInPackage(SolrCLI.java:502)
    at org.apache.solr.util.SolrCLI.newTool(SolrCLI.java:380)
    at org.apache.solr.util.SolrCLI.main(SolrCLI.java:292)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.codahale.metrics.Metric
    at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:335)
    ... 5 more
Failed archiving old console logs
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/codahale/metrics/Metric
    at org.apache.solr.util.SolrCLI.findToolClassesInPackage(SolrCLI.java:502)
    at org.apache.solr.util.SolrCLI.newTool(SolrCLI.java:380)
    at org.apache.solr.util.SolrCLI.main(SolrCLI.java:292)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.codahale.metrics.Metric
    at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:335)
    ... 5 more
Failed rotating old solr logs
Waiting up to 180 seconds to see Solr running on port 9090 [\]
Started Solr server on port 9090 (pid=11447). Happy searching!

Dr. Parthasarathi Mukhopadhyay
Associate Professor, Department of Library and Information Science, University of Kalyani,
Kalyani - 741 235 (WB), India

Re: Upgrading 4.0

Demian Katz

Is your old Solr index still in place on disk? A bit of research on this error message suggests that the problem could be related to having an index generated by an earlier version of Solr. I have tested running a Solr 5 index with the Solr 6 version included in VuFind 4.0, and it worked for me, but if you have an older index generated by Solr 4, that might explain the problem. Try deleting (or moving/renaming) solr/vufind/biblio/index and then restarting Solr again – you should then be able to reindex your records.

If that doesn’t help, you might also want to check your Java version – Solr 6 requires Java 8, while Solr 5 required Java 7; that might make a difference.

If you’re still stuck after all that, please let me know!

- Demian

Re: Upgrading 4.0

Leila Gonzales

Hi Demian,

I’m running into the same error. We just upgraded from 3.1.3 to 4.0, and we are running Java 8, and I stopped Solr, cleared the index and restarted Solr.

I also ran into an error trying to start solr as root (which I’ve been able to do with no issues in the past versions of Solr, but it looks like with Solr 6, this has changed). I had to add “-force” to the  $SOLR_ADDITIONAL_START_OPTIONS to get Solr to start. I’m not sure if that’s contributing to the issue or not, but I thought I’d mention it, in case it was.

Is there anywhere else I should look to fix/troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks,
Leila

Re: Upgrading 4.0

Demian Katz

I believe that Dr. Mukhopadhyay was able to resolve this problem after my reply, but I’m not sure exactly what the key is. I wonder if it has something to do with file permissions. The new Solr prefers not to run as root as a simple security precaution; it may be worth considering changing ownership of the whole solr directory to a particular user account, and then using that user account to run Solr. I can share my local startup scripts if that would be helpful (we use a user called “operations” for this sort of thing).

- Demian

Re: Upgrading 4.0

Leila Gonzales

Thanks Demian. It took me a bit, but thanks to your prior notes, I was able to finally figure it out.

When I unpacked vufind-4.0 on top of the /usr/local/vufind directory, it ended up adding all the updated solr jar files to the solr/vendor/ sub-directories so that I had jar files for solr 5 and solr 6 sitting in the same directory. I ended up clearing out the /usr/local/vufind/solr/ directory and re-coping the contents from /usr/local/vufind-4.0/solr/ into  /usr/local/vufind/solr/.  That fixed it.

Cheers,
Leila

[...]

Thanks for the clarification on this. I have updated the migration notes in the wiki to highlight this problem:

https://vufind.org/wiki/installation:migration_notes

(I also added a note about running composer install to update dependencies, since that is important too!)

- Demian

I believe that Dr. Mukhopadhyay was able to resolve this problem after my reply, but I’m not sure exactly what the key is. I wonder if it has something to do with file permissions. The new Solr prefers not to run as root as a simple security precaution; it may be worth considering changing ownership of the whole solr directory to a particular user account, and then using that user account to run Solr. I can share my local startup scripts if that would be helpful (we use a user called “operations” for this sort of thing).

- Demian

Re: Upgrading 4.0

Leila Gonzales

Thanks Demian! I went ahead and followed the updated migration notes (removing the non-custom code in the /usr/local/vufind/ directory, then copying over the new vufind-4.0/ code into /usr/local/vufind/, and then running composer to install dependencies).

After I installed composer and then php-7.0 curl, I ran “composer install”, and saw a lot of errors/warnings like this:

    Failed to download sebastian/phpcpd from dist: The zip extension and unzip command are both missing, skipping.

The php.ini used by your command-line PHP is: /etc/php/7.0/cli/php.ini

    Now trying to download from source

  - Installing sebastian/phpcpd (2.0.4)

    Cloning 24d9a880deadb0b8c9680e9cfe78e30b704225db

Those were then followed by these errors/warnings:

Package herrera-io/json is abandoned, you should avoid using it. Use kherge/json instead.

Package kherge/version is abandoned, you should avoid using it. No replacement was suggested.

Package herrera-io/phar-update is abandoned, you should avoid using it. No replacement was suggested.

Package sebastian/git is abandoned, you should avoid using it. No replacement was suggested.

And then there was this final one:

> phing installsolr installswaggerui

PHP Warning:  require_once(/usr/local/vufind/vendor/bin/phing.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/local/ufind/vendor/bin/phing on line 14

PHP Fatal error:  require_once(): Failed opening required '/usr/local/vufind/vendor/bin/phing.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/php' in /usr/local/vufind/vendor/bin/phing on line 14

Script phing installsolr installswaggerui handling the phing-install-dependencies event returned with an error

[RuntimeException]

Error Output: PHP Warning:  require_once(/usr/local/vufind/vendor/bin/phing.php): failed to open stream: No such file or direct

  ory in /usr/local/vufind/vendor/bin/phing on line 14

  PHP Fatal error:  require_once(): Failed opening required '/usr/local/vufind/vendor/bin/phing.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/

  php') in /usr/local/vufind/vendor/bin/phing on line 14

Is this normal to see these errors/warnings when running composer install, or could this be due to my server’s configuration?

Thanks for your guidance,

-Leila

I believe that Dr. Mukhopadhyay was able to resolve this problem after my reply, but I’m not sure exactly what the key is. I wonder if it has something to do with file permissions. The new Solr prefers not to run as root as a simple security precaution; it may be worth considering changing ownership of the whole solr directory to a particular user account, and then using that user account to run Solr. I can share my local startup scripts if that would be helpful (we use a user called “operations” for this sort of thing).

- Demian

Re: Upgrading 4.0

Demian Katz

Leila,

I’ve revised the documentation again: I just realized that if you’re installing from Git, you need to run composer install; if you’re installing from a downloaded package, the dependencies are already included, so nothing more needs to be done.

However, in case it matters, at least some of the Composer errors seem to be related to not having the unzip command installed on your system – “sudo apt-get install unzip” should remedy that. Some of the warnings about abandoned packages are related to some of the development tools we use and should go away when those tools release new versions. That last error about phing.php is kind of weird; I’m not sure what’s going on there, but it may be a side effect of one of the earlier problems.

Anyway, sorry for the confusion regarding composer!

- Demian

Thanks Demian! I went ahead and followed the updated migration notes (removing the non-custom code in the /usr/local/vufind/ directory, then copying over the new vufind-4.0/ code into /usr/local/vufind/, and then running composer to install dependencies).

After I installed composer and then php-7.0 curl, I ran “composer install”, and saw a lot of errors/warnings like this:

    Failed to download sebastian/phpcpd from dist: The zip extension and unzip command are both missing, skipping.

The php.ini used by your command-line PHP is: /etc/php/7.0/cli/php.ini

    Now trying to download from source

  - Installing sebastian/phpcpd (2.0.4)

    Cloning 24d9a880deadb0b8c9680e9cfe78e30b704225db

Those were then followed by these errors/warnings:

Package herrera-io/json is abandoned, you should avoid using it. Use kherge/json instead.

Package kherge/version is abandoned, you should avoid using it. No replacement was suggested.

Package herrera-io/phar-update is abandoned, you should avoid using it. No replacement was suggested.

Package sebastian/git is abandoned, you should avoid using it. No replacement was suggested.

And then there was this final one:

> phing installsolr installswaggerui

PHP Warning:  require_once(/usr/local/vufind/vendor/bin/phing.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/local/ufind/vendor/bin/phing on line 14

PHP Fatal error:  require_once(): Failed opening required '/usr/local/vufind/vendor/bin/phing.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/php' in /usr/local/vufind/vendor/bin/phing on line 14

Script phing installsolr installswaggerui handling the phing-install-dependencies event returned with an error

[RuntimeException]

Error Output: PHP Warning:  require_once(/usr/local/vufind/vendor/bin/phing.php): failed to open stream: No such file or direct

  ory in /usr/local/vufind/vendor/bin/phing on line 14

  PHP Fatal error:  require_once(): Failed opening required '/usr/local/vufind/vendor/bin/phing.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/

  php') in /usr/local/vufind/vendor/bin/phing on line 14

Is this normal to see these errors/warnings when running composer install, or could this be due to my server’s configuration?

Thanks for your guidance,

-Leila

I believe that Dr. Mukhopadhyay was able to resolve this problem after my reply, but I’m not sure exactly what the key is. I wonder if it has something to do with file permissions. The new Solr prefers not to run as root as a simple security precaution; it may be worth considering changing ownership of the whole solr directory to a particular user account, and then using that user account to run Solr. I can share my local startup scripts if that would be helpful (we use a user called “operations” for this sort of thing).

- Demian

Re: Upgrading 4.0

Leila Gonzales

Thanks Demian. That helps clarify things perfectly!