Today's Buiild SOLRMARC Error

Joel Timothy Norman, Mr
I'm getting this error.  I set solr_home, vufind_home.... What else?

Aug 4, 2008 4:52:28 PM org.apache.solr.util.plugin.AbstractPluginLoader load
INFO: created html: org.apache.solr.highlight.HtmlFormatter
ERROR [main] (MarcImporter.java:99) - Couldn't set the instance directory
java.lang.RuntimeException: org.apache.lucene.index.CorruptIndexException: Unknown format version: -6
        at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.getSearcher(SolrCore.java:741)
        at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.<init>(SolrCore.java:386)
        at org.solrmarc.marc.MarcImporter.<init>(MarcImporter.java:95)
        at org.solrmarc.marc.MarcImporter.main(MarcImporter.java:559)
Caused by: org.apache.lucene.index.CorruptIndexException: Unknown format version: -6
        at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentInfos.read(SegmentInfos.java:211)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.DirectoryIndexReader$1.doBody(DirectoryIndexReader.java:68)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentInfos$FindSegmentsFile.run(SegmentInfos.java:636)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.DirectoryIndexReader.open(DirectoryIndexReader.java:63)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader.open(IndexReader.java:209)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader.open(IndexReader.java:173)
        at org.apache.solr.search.SolrIndexSearcher.<init>(SolrIndexSearcher.java:93)
        at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.getSearcher(SolrCore.java:732)
        ... 3 more

Thanks Joel Norman

Re: Today's Buiild SOLRMARC Error

wsgrah
Administrator
Hi Joel,

Did you get my note last week on this? This appears to be related to a
bug in Java 1.6.0_05. You can use -Xbatch in the JAVA_OPTIONS or revert
to a previous version of Java. I believe it's in the pipeline to be
fixed, but I'm not sure when.

Wayne

Wayne

Joel Timothy Norman, Mr wrote:

> I'm getting this error.  I set solr_home, vufind_home.... What else?
>

> Aug 4, 2008 4:52:28 PM org.apache.solr.util.plugin.AbstractPluginLoader load
> INFO: created html: org.apache.solr.highlight.HtmlFormatter
> ERROR [main] (MarcImporter.java:99) - Couldn't set the instance directory
> java.lang.RuntimeException: org.apache.lucene.index.CorruptIndexException: Unknown format version: -6
>         at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.getSearcher(SolrCore.java:741)
>         at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.<init>(SolrCore.java:386)
>         at org.solrmarc.marc.MarcImporter.<init>(MarcImporter.java:95)
>         at org.solrmarc.marc.MarcImporter.main(MarcImporter.java:559)
> Caused by: org.apache.lucene.index.CorruptIndexException: Unknown format version: -6
>         at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentInfos.read(SegmentInfos.java:211)
>         at org.apache.lucene.index.DirectoryIndexReader$1.doBody(DirectoryIndexReader.java:68)
>         at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentInfos$FindSegmentsFile.run(SegmentInfos.java:636)
>         at org.apache.lucene.index.DirectoryIndexReader.open(DirectoryIndexReader.java:63)
>         at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader.open(IndexReader.java:209)
>         at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader.open(IndexReader.java:173)
>         at org.apache.solr.search.SolrIndexSearcher.<init>(SolrIndexSearcher.java:93)
>         at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.getSearcher(SolrCore.java:732)
>         ... 3 more
>

> Thanks Joel Norman

/**
  * Wayne Graham
  * Earl Gregg Swem Library
  * PO Box 8794
  * Williamsburg, VA 23188
  * 757.221.3112
  * http://swem.wm.edu/blogs/waynegraham/
  * http://www.liquidfoot.com
  */

Re: Today's Buiild SOLRMARC Error

Till Kinstler
I am getting exactly the same error message (corrupt index though it's
empty except for the two segment files Solr creates when starting up
with an empty index) using (Sun) Java 1.5.0_15, 1.6.0_06 and _07. I
tried all these versions with Jetty/SOLR and with my extended solrmarc
indexer.
I am having this problem occasionally since switching to Solr 1.3, a
workaround (though not for a production environments) was deleting the
data/index/ directory and reindexing all data.
Sometimes even sending <optimize/> to Solr leaves me a corrupt index...
The error message seems to tell about a inconsistency in the index
format that Solr and solrmarc use, doesn't it? The current svn checkout
of solrmarc usese some luncene 2.3.1 libraries and an unknown (to me)
Solr nighly build. Solr nightly is ahead of that using lucene 2.4-dev.
How old is Solr nightly in VuFind?
I just tried the most recent Solr nightly build war file with Vufind (by
simply putting solr.war into solr/jetty/webapps/). First it seemed to
work (starting indexing with an empty index directory, searching showed
reasonable results), but after sending <optimize/>, I couldn't index any
more data using solrmarc (again
"org.apache.lucene.index.CorruptIndexException: Unknown format version:
-6").
I am not sure, if it is the right way to track down that problem by
playing around with different Solr versions. But it seems not to be a
Java JVM issue, because I get exactly the same problems with different
Java versions. Some ideas what to try? I'd like to try exactly the same
Solr nightly versions in Vufind and solrmarc, may that be worth the
effort (I am not sure how easy it is to switch solrmarc to the latest
nightly Solr build)?

Regards,
Till

Wayne Graham schrieb:

> Hi Joel,
>
> Did you get my note last week on this? This appears to be related to a
> bug in Java 1.6.0_05. You can use -Xbatch in the JAVA_OPTIONS or revert
> to a previous version of Java. I believe it's in the pipeline to be
> fixed, but I'm not sure when.
>
> Wayne
>
> Wayne
>
> Joel Timothy Norman, Mr wrote:
>> I'm getting this error.  I set solr_home, vufind_home.... What else?
>>

>> Aug 4, 2008 4:52:28 PM org.apache.solr.util.plugin.AbstractPluginLoader load
>> INFO: created html: org.apache.solr.highlight.HtmlFormatter
>> ERROR [main] (MarcImporter.java:99) - Couldn't set the instance directory
>> java.lang.RuntimeException: org.apache.lucene.index.CorruptIndexException: Unknown format version: -6
>>         at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.getSearcher(SolrCore.java:741)
>>         at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.<init>(SolrCore.java:386)
>>         at org.solrmarc.marc.MarcImporter.<init>(MarcImporter.java:95)
>>         at org.solrmarc.marc.MarcImporter.main(MarcImporter.java:559)
>> Caused by: org.apache.lucene.index.CorruptIndexException: Unknown format version: -6
>>         at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentInfos.read(SegmentInfos.java:211)
>>         at org.apache.lucene.index.DirectoryIndexReader$1.doBody(DirectoryIndexReader.java:68)
>>         at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentInfos$FindSegmentsFile.run(SegmentInfos.java:636)
>>         at org.apache.lucene.index.DirectoryIndexReader.open(DirectoryIndexReader.java:63)
>>         at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader.open(IndexReader.java:209)
>>         at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader.open(IndexReader.java:173)
>>         at org.apache.solr.search.SolrIndexSearcher.<init>(SolrIndexSearcher.java:93)
>>         at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.getSearcher(SolrCore.java:732)
>>         ... 3 more
>>

>> Thanks Joel Norman

Till Kinstler
Verbundzentrale des Gemeinsamen Bibliotheksverbundes (VZG)
Platz der Göttinger Sieben 1, D 37073 Göttingen
[hidden email], +49 (0) 551 39-13431, http://www.gbv.de

Re: Today's Buiild SOLRMARC Error

wsgrah
Administrator
There's also a work around of using -Xbatch to force up front
compilation of the classes that is a potential work around. There are a
few links on this one.

http://lucene.markmail.org/message/awkkunr7j24nh4qj
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lucene-solr-user/200804.mbox/%3CFAA5C760-9F82-4452-9987-5F90A7C75970@...%3E

There are a few issues we're working through. Basically we're using
nightly snapshots of Lucene 2.4, Solr 1.3, and some not-yet-committed
code for marc4j. There are a lot of variables that could be be adding to
produce these problems, though it seems to be the format of the original
marc records, the index creation, and the changing index format of Lucene.

To your question on the age of Lucene, however, the committed code for
Solr and Lucene is quite old. However we've not put the newest stuff
into the repo quite yet, but in my development code, I have a couple of
scripts that update these, so it's when I remember to update them (like
every other day).

Wayne

Till Kinstler wrote:

> [...]
>>>         at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.<init>(SolrCore.java:386)
>>>         at org.solrmarc.marc.MarcImporter.<init>(MarcImporter.java:95)
>>>         at org.solrmarc.marc.MarcImporter.main(MarcImporter.java:559)
>>> Caused by: org.apache.lucene.index.CorruptIndexException: Unknown format version: -6
>>>         at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentInfos.read(SegmentInfos.java:211)
>>>         at org.apache.lucene.index.DirectoryIndexReader$1.doBody(DirectoryIndexReader.java:68)
>>>         at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentInfos$FindSegmentsFile.run(SegmentInfos.java:636)
>>>         at org.apache.lucene.index.DirectoryIndexReader.open(DirectoryIndexReader.java:63)
>>>         at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader.open(IndexReader.java:209)
>>>         at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader.open(IndexReader.java:173)
>>>         at org.apache.solr.search.SolrIndexSearcher.<init>(SolrIndexSearcher.java:93)
>>>         at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.getSearcher(SolrCore.java:732)

/**

I wrote:

>  I'd like to try exactly the same
> Solr nightly versions in Vufind and solrmarc, may that be worth the
> effort (I am not sure how easy it is to switch solrmarc to the latest
> nightly Solr build)?

OK, was easier than thought. I replaced the Solr and Lucene jars in the
lib directory of solrmarc by recent versions from latest Solr nightly
build (2008-08-04). Had to do a little change in solrmarc source because
the constructor signature of org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore changed.
Indexing with solrmarc and VuFind Solr (both on Sun Java 1.6.0_06) now
works smoothly. Results seem quite reasonable. After a <optimize/>
indexing/updating still works, no index corruption so far.
So it may be a mismatch of Solr versions used by VuFind and solrmarc.
Nobody else having that problem? I am using the latest svn versions of
both and (as already said) saw that problem occasionally since using
Solr 1.3 and solrmarc.
My "solution" isn't really one, it's just a quick hack to verify the
problem. I don't know how buggy that latest Solr nightly build is and
what problems may arise using it in VuFind.
But I think we need some way to keep Solr versions in VuFind and
solrmarc compatible (should be easy when 1.3 final is out).

Regards,
Till

--
Till Kinstler
Verbundzentrale des Gemeinsamen Bibliotheksverbundes (VZG)
Platz der Göttinger Sieben 1, D 37073 Göttingen
[hidden email], +49 (0) 551 39-13431, http://www.gbv.de

Re: Today's Buiild SOLRMARC Error

Bill Dueber
On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 9:02 AM, Wayne Graham <[hidden email]> wrote:
> There's also a work around of using -Xbatch to force up front
> compilation of the classes that is a potential work around.

Only potential in my case, unfortunately. As a non-java programmer, is
this a "sit tight for a while until it's sorted out" issue?

On OSX 10.4.11

/usr/local/vufind> svn update
At revision 860.

/usr/local/vufind> java -version
java version "1.5.0_13"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_13-b05-241)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_13-121, mixed mode, sharing)

/usr/local/vufind> echo $VUFIND_HOME
/usr/local/vufind/

/usr/local/vufind> echo $JAVA_HOME
/Library/Java/Home

/usr/local/vufind> echo $JAVA_OPTIONS
-Xbatch

/usr/local/vufind> ./vufind.sh start
Starting VuFind ...
sending output to nohup.out
VuFind running pid=5127

/usr/local/vufind> ./import.sh /tmp/random149k.mrc

[snip]

ERROR [main] (MarcImporter.java:99) - Couldn't set the instance directory
java.lang.RuntimeException:
org.apache.lucene.index.CorruptIndexException: Unknown format version:
-6

--
Bill Dueber
Library Systems Programmer
University of Michigan Library

Re: Today's Buiild SOLRMARC Error

Alan Rykhus

I'll ditto this one. I did the same thing to get my installation to
work. The lucene libs have to be the same in solrmarc as they are in
vufind. Is there some way that they can by default use the same
libraries? Is there some way a check can be made and an error printed
that notes that the 2 installs are using different libraries?

al

On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 08:41 -0500, Till Kinstler wrote:

> I wrote:
>
> >  I'd like to try exactly the same
> > Solr nightly versions in Vufind and solrmarc, may that be worth the
> > effort (I am not sure how easy it is to switch solrmarc to the latest
> > nightly Solr build)?
>
> OK, was easier than thought. I replaced the Solr and Lucene jars in the
> lib directory of solrmarc by recent versions from latest Solr nightly
> build (2008-08-04). Had to do a little change in solrmarc source because
> the constructor signature of org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore changed.
> Indexing with solrmarc and VuFind Solr (both on Sun Java 1.6.0_06) now
> works smoothly. Results seem quite reasonable. After a <optimize/>
> indexing/updating still works, no index corruption so far.
> So it may be a mismatch of Solr versions used by VuFind and solrmarc.
> Nobody else having that problem? I am using the latest svn versions of
> both and (as already said) saw that problem occasionally since using
> Solr 1.3 and solrmarc.
> My "solution" isn't really one, it's just a quick hack to verify the
> problem. I don't know how buggy that latest Solr nightly build is and
> what problems may arise using it in VuFind.
> But I think we need some way to keep Solr versions in VuFind and
> solrmarc compatible (should be easy when 1.3 final is out).
>
> Regards,
> Till
>
> --
> Till Kinstler
> Verbundzentrale des Gemeinsamen Bibliotheksverbundes (VZG)
> Platz der Göttinger Sieben 1, D 37073 Göttingen
> [hidden email], +49 (0) 551 39-13431, http://www.gbv.de

Alan Rykhus
PALS, A Program of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities
(507)389-1975

Re: Today's Buiild SOLRMARC Error

Alan Rykhus
Hello Bill,

I believe this problem is caused by having a differetn version of Lucene
in the solrmarc directory than is included in solr.war.

If you look in solr/jetty/webapps/solr.war and run 'jar .tvf solr.war'
you will probably see that it is running Lucene 2.4

If you then look in the import/solrmarc/dist/lib you will see that it is
using Lucene 2.3.1.

You need to either create a new solr.war using 2.3.1 or fix solrmarc so
that it is running Lucene 2.4

I am not using the new solrmarc imported yet. I had done too much
customization to the original loader. I did create a new solr.war file
that uses Lucene 2.3.1. You then have to delete your current database
and rebuild it. Everything needs to be running the same version of
Lucene or you get the CorruptIndexException error.

al