Quantcast

Suitability of VUfind for union catlogue for geographically distibuted Library

Suitability of VUfind for union catlogue for geographically distibuted Library

girirs_75
I would like to know the usability of the Vufind for Union Catalogue in following conditions :

We have 42 LABS geographically distributed all over the country. Each Lab has its own Library. Different Library is  using different LMS syem for their library Management. For Example, One lab is using Newgenlib (OSS version) other is using Koha, etc.

In this situation is it advisable to go ahead with vufind for union catlogue.
R.S. Giri

Re: Suitability of VUfind for union catlogue for geographically distibuted Library

Demian Katz
The main obstacle here is going to be real-time ILS/LMS connectivity.  VuFind is currently designed for a single-LMS situation.  There is a patch available which helps to extend the code so that it can talk to multiple LMSes (http://vufind.org/jira/browse/VUFIND-594), but I can't imagine getting good performance using 42 geographically distributed systems.  (Though that problem is not unique to VuFind -- I don't think any solution that talks to 42 geographically distributed systems is going to be fast or reliable).

There are a few solutions you could try that might solve the problem:

1.) Don't use real-time availability status in your union catalog.  Create a union catalog for searching the whole collection, but include links to each individual lab's catalog from the union catalog if people need to check status.

2.) Try using the MultiBackend driver, but disable availability status in search results.  This way, you are less likely to end up with slow requests that talk to many LMSes at once, but you may still be able to get acceptable performance out of status lookups on the individual record pages.

3.) Customize your Solr index to incorporate availability status.  Harvest your data very frequently from the labs.  Change the LMS driver to use Solr for status lookups instead of talking directly to individual LMSes.  This will require more work to set up initially, but once it is in place, it should allow the best performance and feature set.

I hope this is helpful!

Re: Suitability of VUfind for union catlogue for geographically distibuted Library

Ere Maijala
Additionally, if you can choose to display availability status for a
single ILS at a time, it would be possible to provide the user a way to
select from which database to display the status. This is something
we're going to do to avoid the problem of retrieving and displaying the
information from a multitude of databases.

--Ere

29.6.2012 15.28, Demian Katz kirjoitti:

> The main obstacle here is going to be real-time ILS/LMS connectivity.  VuFind is currently designed for a single-LMS situation.  There is a patch available which helps to extend the code so that it can talk to multiple LMSes (http://vufind.org/jira/browse/VUFIND-594), but I can't imagine getting good performance using 42 geographically distributed systems.  (Though that problem is not unique to VuFind -- I don't think any solution that talks to 42 geographically distributed systems is going to be fast or reliable).
>
> There are a few solutions you could try that might solve the problem:
>
> 1.) Don't use real-time availability status in your union catalog.  Create a union catalog for searching the whole collection, but include links to each individual lab's catalog from the union catalog if people need to check status.
>
> 2.) Try using the MultiBackend driver, but disable availability status in search results.  This way, you are less likely to end up with slow requests that talk to many LMSes at once, but you may still be able to get acceptable performance out of status lookups on the individual record pages.
>
> 3.) Customize your Solr index to incorporate availability status.  Harvest your data very frequently from the labs.  Change the LMS driver to use Solr for status lookups instead of talking directly to individual LMSes.  This will require more work to set up initially, but once it is in place, it should allow the best performance and feature set.
>
> I hope this is helpful!
>
> - Demian

Ere Maijala
Kansalliskirjasto