Suggestion to index custome data. Convert to marc?

Suggestion to index custome data. Convert to marc?

Mohd Izwan Salim
Dear all, i have a data which consist some info like
Title, link (pdf), general note and faculty...
I would like to index in Vufind...
Is it ok if i convert it into marc record, i'll select & use some tag only - 100, 245, 500, 856
Or is there any other prefered solution..

Regards

Re: Suggestion to index custome data. Convert to marc?

Demian Katz

Izwan,

There are basically three options:

1.) Convert the data to MARC, as you suggest.

2.) Convert the data to XML, and write an XSLT to transform the XML into Solr documents (similar to the examples in the import/xsl directory of VuFind).

3.) Write a program to directly convert the data to Solr documents and post them to the index.

All of these options are equally valid -- it's really just a question of what is fastest and most convenient for you given the available tools. If you can easily create MARC records from your data, that is likely to be a pretty efficient approach, even though it is probably not the most direct route.

If you are interested in more details on one of the other options, or if I can help in any other way, let me know and I'll be happy to elaborate.

- Demian