Shibbolize vuFind

Franck Borel-2
Hi,

is there any interest to shibbolize vuFind? I have coded a prototype
of vufind which works with SimpleSAMLPHP and speaks Shibboleth.

Now I would like to integrate an authentication plugin which
authenticates the user via Shibboleth. This will use the session
management of vuFind that is already there and use lazy session method
used by Shibboleth. The only thing that is needed to do is to check,
if the Shibboleth authentication is enabled (this could be done, by
setting an entry "Shibboleth" in the config.ini) and then to check is
a Shibboleth session exist. Aftewards redirect the user to the
shibboleth service-provider and collect the attributes (environment/
header-variable).

Are there any plans to refactor the authentication code (I see a
comment in the index.php, which says "This code should be moved into
the MyResearch Module")? Could it be possible to use some pattern,
like factory, so that the authentication module could be plugable?

If you like I can code the Shibboleth and simpleSAMLphp authentication
implementation.

-- Franck

Re: Shibbolize vuFind

Andrew Nagy-2
Franck - I know Antonio Barrera was interested in implementing this and also refactoring the authentication system within vufind - but Im not sure how far he got.

If you would be interested in doing this - than I say go for it.  Just send the patches when you are done.

Thanks!

Re: Shibbolize vuFind

Antonio Barrera
Franck,

I did not actually addres Shibb at all.  I was primarily interested in
getting CAS to work.  Which in theory I did.  Problem is, this is based
on version 0.8 and I haven't touched it since then.  I'll go through my
work, and show you my ideas.  I was aiming to develop it, such that
using the config.ini file, a user could determine which method(s) of
authentication to use.

Antonio

Franck - I know Antonio Barrera was interested in implementing this and
also refactoring the authentication system within vufind - but Im not
sure how far he got.

If you would be interested in doing this - than I say go for it.  Just
send the patches when you are done.

Thanks!

challenge
prizes
Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the
world

Re: Shibbolize vuFind

Franck Borel-2
Hi Antonio,

> I did not actually addres Shibb at all.  I was primarily interested in
> getting CAS to work.  Which in theory I did.  Problem is, this is
> based
> on version 0.8 and I haven't touched it since then.  I'll go through
> my
> work, and show you my ideas.  I was aiming to develop it, such that
> using the config.ini file, a user could determine which method(s) of
> authentication to use.

Great! It would be nice to make the authentication system plugable.
Let me know your ideas and let me know if I can implement something.

-- Franck