Session trouble using Ebsco's EDS – An abstract factory could not create an instance of eds(alias: EDS)

Session trouble using Ebsco's EDS – An abstract factory could not create an instance of eds(alias: EDS)

Sebastian Böttger
Hello all!

I’m running in a very strange error and I have no idea what’s causing it, so I hope someone of you can help me.

If the EDS service is activated, every search request in the catalog tab fails and the attached exceptions are thrown, until I start a search request on EDS tab. If I start a search request for articles in EDS tab, everything works fine. Afterwards, if I switch to the catalog tab, the catalog tab works suddenly fine (until session ends).

This behaviour is just observable on our servers, on my local machine – a development instance with the same source and same configuration – it works as expected. The stack traces of the exceptions is attached.

VuFind version 3.1.3

In order to reconstruct this, you can do the following:
  1. Send a search request in the catalog tab: https://hdsdev.hebis.de/ubffm/Search/Results?type=allfields&lookfor=Darwin  => exception throws.
  2. Send a search request to EDS tab: https://hdsdev.hebis.de/ubffm/EDS/Search?lookfor=Darwin => EDS result list appears
  3. Send a search request in the catalog tab again: https://hdsdev.hebis.de/ubffm/Search/Results?lookfor=Darwin&type=AllFields => catalog result list appears

I'm thankful for every help!

--
Sebastian Böttger

HeBIS-Verbundzentrale
Vermittlungs- und Recherchelösungen
Goethe-Universität Frankfurt am Main
Senckenberganlage 33
60325 Frankfurt am Main
Tel: +49-(0)69-798-28994
http://www.hebis.de

PGP/GPG: https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x255191F66AFFCBEA

eds-stacktrace.txt (31K) Download Attachment

Re: Session trouble using Ebsco's EDS – An abstract factory could not create an instance of eds(alias: EDS)

Demian Katz

Sebastian,

The root cause appears to be that the EDS code is trying to automatically establish a session, and the API call is failing. I’m not sure why it would fail in this context and not a different one.

Unfortunately, I didn’t write the EDS code and am not entirely familiar with the subtleties of how sessions work… but you might find it helpful to start debugging here:

https://github.com/vufind-org/vufind/blob/master/module/VuFindSearch/src/VuFindSearch/Backend/EDS/Zend2.php#L143

This is where the exception is getting thrown that’s triggering the whole stack of problems.

This is the function call that’s forming the API call that’s leading to the exception:

https://github.com/vufind-org/vufind/blob/master/module/VuFindSearch/src/VuFindSearch/Backend/EDS/Base.php#L144

Perhaps by comparing the createSession parameters that are causing the problem and the createSession parameters that work correctly in other contexts, you will discover a clue to the root cause.

Please feel free to share your findings for further analysis if you need additional assistance!

- Demian