Request for feedback: VuFind mission statement

Request for feedback: VuFind mission statement

Demian Katz

Hello, everyone –

I have been asked to provide a mission statement for the VuFind community. Here is a first draft I have come up with:

“The mission of the VuFind Community is to develop VuFind, a free, open source discovery application that provides a universal, user-oriented and configurable interface to support common search and library patron operations across a wide variety of systems. VuFind is designed to be friendly both for end users and for developers/administrators, providing infrastructure for innovation and enabling organizations to make choices about their back-end systems without significantly impacting their front-facing user experience.”

Since I am not the only person in this community, I thought I would share this with you and solicit feedback before publishing it anywhere. Any thoughts? All input is appreciated!

thanks,

Demian

Re: [VuFind-General] Request for feedback: VuFind mission statement

P. S. Mukhopadhyay
Dear Demian

I have one observation... the mission statement is taking care of wide variety variety of systems but not wide variety of resources (like cultural objects etc).
So the statement "to support common search" may be tuned to ... to support common search for a wide variety of resources. The phrase "wide variety" may be replaced with a suitable one as it is already used in the mission statement.

Regards

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 2:05 PM, Nas Yakubu via VuFind-General <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Demian,

My suggestion is that the Mission of the VuFind community should include rendering assistance or support to other users and the sharing of ideas pertaining to implementation and administration of VuFind.

Thank you for this initiative.

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 9:31 PM, Demian Katz <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Nas Yakubu
Assistant Director of Information Systems
American University of Nigeria
Lamido Zubairu Way
Yola
Adamawa State
+234 805 703 2980
VOIP 1153

Dr. Parthasarathi Mukhopadhyay
Associate Professor, Department of Library and Information Science, University of Kalyani,
Kalyani - 741 235 (WB), India