Quantcast

Re: [VuFind-General] "Cleaning" MARC files for use with java importer (was Re: diacritic display -- font problem?)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [VuFind-General] "Cleaning" MARC files for use with java importer (was Re: diacritic display -- font problem?)

Naomi Dushay
Wayne,

I do love your importer and I can't wait to use it.  Do your upcoming mods to the VuFind codebase mean you're already taking on the task of renaming fields:

-----Original Message-----
From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]
[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Naomi Dushay
Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 12:44 PM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [VuFind-Tech] thinking about fieldnames and import ...

I can live with that!

But:  how about using the convention of field names with suffixes
like

facet
display   or disp
search or srch or index or ix
sort

"text" is SOLR jargon and not obvious at first as to purpose;  Str
is ambiguous, diff b/t author and author2 is not clear etc.


I was also thinking
author_main_(suffix)
author_addl   or author_other  _(suffix)

and 

title_main_(suffix)
title_addl  or title_other  _(suffix)

Basically, anything that makes the functions of the fields clearer.  If you're already doing this or can add it into your mods with little effort, fab-u-lous.  

Otherwise, it may wait until I get back from my 2 weeks off (and no, it's not all vacation.)

- Naomi


On Jun 13, 2008, at 5:48 AM, Wayne Graham wrote:

Well, the code isn't really new. It's what I wrote for this project with
all the hard coded stuff configurable via a properties file (which I
should have done in the first place). The really nice thing about this
new code base is that it just uses a .properties file to map marc
elements to solr elements (along with a lot of other mappings)...so
changes are much easier! If you want to add your own methods to call,
there is a facility to do this (though that requires a recompile). As
long as you remember your changes, you should be good to go ;)

Wayne


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the new SourceForge.net Marketplace.
It's the best place to buy or sell services for
just about anything Open Source.
http://sourceforge.net/services/buy/index.php
_______________________________________________
Vufind-tech mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/vufind-tech
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [VuFind-General] "Cleaning" MARC files for use with java importer (was Re: diacritic display -- font problem?)

wsgrah
Administrator
Not yet...but the change to the code base will make this a very trivial
change.

Naomi Dushay wrote:

> Wayne,
>
> I do love your importer and I can't wait to use it.  Do your upcoming
> mods to the VuFind codebase mean you're already taking on the task of
> renaming fields:
>
>>>> -----Original Message-----
>>>> From: [hidden email]
>>>> <mailto:[hidden email]> [mailto:vufind-tech-
>>>> [hidden email]
>>>> <mailto:[hidden email]>] On Behalf Of Naomi Dushay
>>>> Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 12:44 PM
>>>> To: [hidden email]
>>>> <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>>> Subject: Re: [VuFind-Tech] thinking about fieldnames and import ...
>>>>
>>>> I can live with that!
>>>>
>>>> But:  how about using the convention of field names with suffixes
>>>> like
>>>>
>>>> facet
>>>> display   or disp
>>>> search or srch or index or ix
>>>> sort
>>>>
>>>> "text" is SOLR jargon and not obvious at first as to purpose;  Str
>>>> is ambiguous, diff b/t author and author2 is not clear etc.
>
>
> I was also thinking
> author_main_(suffix)
> author_addl   or author_other  _(suffix)
>
> and
>
> title_main_(suffix)
> title_addl  or title_other  _(suffix)
>
> Basically, anything that makes the functions of the fields clearer.
>  If you're already doing this or can add it into your mods with little
> effort, fab-u-lous.  
>
> Otherwise, it may wait until I get back from my 2 weeks off (and no,
> it's not all vacation.)
>
> - Naomi
>
>
> On Jun 13, 2008, at 5:48 AM, Wayne Graham wrote:
>
>> Well, the code isn't really new. It's what I wrote for this project with
>> all the hard coded stuff configurable via a properties file (which I
>> should have done in the first place). The really nice thing about this
>> new code base is that it just uses a .properties file to map marc
>> elements to solr elements (along with a lot of other mappings)...so
>> changes are much easier! If you want to add your own methods to call,
>> there is a facility to do this (though that requires a recompile). As
>> long as you remember your changes, you should be good to go ;)
>>
>> Wayne
>>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Check out the new SourceForge.net Marketplace.
> It's the best place to buy or sell services for
> just about anything Open Source.
> http://sourceforge.net/services/buy/index.php
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> Vufind-tech mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/vufind-tech
>  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the new SourceForge.net Marketplace.
It's the best place to buy or sell services for
just about anything Open Source.
http://sourceforge.net/services/buy/index.php
_______________________________________________
Vufind-tech mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/vufind-tech
Loading...