Question on emailing from VUFind 2.5

Menk, Robert - 1150 - MITLL

We’re trying to figure out why no matter how many records we check off in a search result set VUFind seems to only mail a maximum of 10 records. Are we overlooking some conf or ini setting, or is there something else that controls this?

Thanks.

Bobb Menk

MIT Lincoln Laboratory Library

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment

Re: Question on emailing from VUFind 2.5

Demian Katz

I’m not aware of any specific limitations here (apart from the fact that VuFind does not persist checkboxes across pages of a search result set, so you are inherently limited by the size of a single page unless you use the book bag). However, I’m certainly happy to help brainstorm/investigate.

If you turn on the “book bag” feature and add more than 10 records to the book bag, then mail records from there, does that behave any differently from mailing directly from the search results?

- Demian

Re: Question on emailing from VUFind 2.5

Menk, Robert - 1150 - MITLL

Nope – still hit the same 10 record cutoff. We are aware of the single page limit you mention, and our paging limit is set to 20, but we’re not getting anything between 11-20 in the email results.

Bobb

I’m not aware of any specific limitations here (apart from the fact that VuFind does not persist checkboxes across pages of a search result set, so you are inherently limited by the size of a single page unless you use the book bag). However, I’m certainly happy to help brainstorm/investigate.

If you turn on the “book bag” feature and add more than 10 records to the book bag, then mail records from there, does that behave any differently from mailing directly from the search results?

- Demian

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment

Re: Question on emailing from VUFind 2.5

Demian Katz

At what point is this going wrong? Here is the work flow I would expect:

1.)    You add 20 items to the book bag.

2.)    In the book bag, you select the 20 items and click Email

3.)    You now see a form prompting for the recipient email; at the top it lists 20 selected items

4.)    When you send the email, you receive a message containing a URL with 20 record IDs in it

5.)    When you click the link in the message, it takes you to a result list containing 20 records.

I’ve just tested this process on my local test server and it worked as expected… so the question is, where are the records past the first 10 getting dropped? Is it possible there is a browser problem involved? Could it be that you have extremely long IDs (or IDs containing unusual characters) that are somehow making something break?

thanks,

Demian

Nope – still hit the same 10 record cutoff. We are aware of the single page limit you mention, and our paging limit is set to 20, but we’re not getting anything between 11-20 in the email results.

Bobb

I’m not aware of any specific limitations here (apart from the fact that VuFind does not persist checkboxes across pages of a search result set, so you are inherently limited by the size of a single page unless you use the book bag). However, I’m certainly happy to help brainstorm/investigate.

If you turn on the “book bag” feature and add more than 10 records to the book bag, then mail records from there, does that behave any differently from mailing directly from the search results?

- Demian

Re: Question on emailing from VUFind 2.5

Menk, Robert - 1150 - MITLL

We go haywire at point 4. The email I receive contains ten titles with a link to each, not 20.

BTW we don’t plan to use the book bag feature when we roll this out to our patrons. We have security issues around that feature in a classified research environment.

Bobb

[...]

Can you send me a copy of one of these emails so I can get a better sense of what is going on?

(Unfortunately, I can’t remember off the top of my head exactly what has changed since 2.5; it’s certainly possible that this is a problem that has been resolved in later releases – though it’s definitely not a problem I remember hearing about in the past).

- Demian