Placehoder in search text box

P. S. Mukhopadhyay
Dear all

I know the subject line of this mail is confusing. Really I don't know the technical term to describe it.

What we want is a line of text as placeholder (like "search all resources here") in the search box (say tab search or combo search as produced by combined.ini).

How to activate it?

Thanks and regards

Dr. Parthasarathi Mukhopadhyay
Associate Professor, Department of Library and Information Science, University of Kalyani,
Kalyani - 741 235 (WB), India

Re: Placehoder in search text box

Demian Katz

This is not yet a standard feature of VuFind, though we implemented locally on our instance at Villanova a couple of weeks ago (see https://library.villanova.edu/Find/ for an example). You should be able to accomplish this simply by customizing a placeholder attribute on the appropriate <input> element in search/searchbox.phtml. We’ll look into standardizing this for a future release.

- Demian

Fwd: Placehoder in search text box

P. S. Mukhopadhyay

Re: Fwd: Placehoder in search text box

Chris Hallberg
I haven't personally found a reliable way to style them. A quick search and test found this method (https://css-tricks.com/snippets/css/style-placeholder-text/) to be effective.

- Chris

Re: Fwd: Placehoder in search text box

Chris Hallberg
I also found that the css that worked for me is:

.searchForm_lookfor::-moz-placeholder{color:red;opacity:1}
.searchForm_lookfor:-ms-input-placeholder{color:red}
.searchForm_lookfor::-webkit-input-placeholder{color:red}

They had to be separate and are more effective when they have a class on the front.

- Chris