MarcImporter vufind/solrmarc

Barnett, Jeffrey
Would you please clarify which version(s) of MarcImporter work with which versions of vufind.  Andrew just posted a suggestion to reindex using a version he has updated in vufind/import/java/src, whereas I just completed reindexing using the solrmarc code located at http://solrmarc.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/.  Are these compatible or not?  Do they use the same solrconfig.xml? schema.xml?  The index I just built can be searched using vufind rev 700 and/or solr/admin, but record displays and facets fail with errors in SOLR.php.

[Tue Jul 08 11:19:37 2008] [error] [client 130.132.80.102] PHP Notice:  Undefined offset:  0 in /oracle/vufind-ph2/vutest/web/services/Search/AJAX.php on line 177,

[572] /opt/csw/php5/lib/php/PEAR.php
[607] /oracle/vufind-ph2/vutest/web/sys/SOLR.php
[593] /oracle/vufind-ph2/vutest/web/sys/SOLR.php
[461] /oracle/vufind-ph2/vutest/web/sys/SOLR.php
[173] /oracle/vufind-ph2/vutest/web/sys/SOLR.php
[156] /oracle/vufind-ph2/vutest/web/services/Record/Record.php
[100] /oracle/vufind-ph2/vutest/web/index.php

Re: MarcImporter vufind/solrmarc

Barnett, Jeffrey
Correction, vufind rev is 770

Re: MarcImporter vufind/solrmarc

wsgrah
Administrator
Try vufind 782 (current). I don't quite remember the rev that I put in
Solr 1.3 (which the indexer uses).

Wayne

Barnett, Jeffrey wrote:

> Correction, vufind rev is 770

/**
  * Wayne Graham
  * Earl Gregg Swem Library
  * PO Box 8794
  * Williamsburg, VA 23188
  * 757.221.3112
  * http://swem.wm.edu/blogs/waynegraham/
  */

Re: MarcImporter vufind/solrmarc

Jeffrey - SolrMarc is still experimental and can be used for testing.  The MarcImporter is at this point the "stable" method.

I hope to prep for SolrMarc soon to make the switch from MarcImporter to SolrMarc.

New question (maybe).  It turns out that the original error was caused by the fact that I had changed a field from single to multivalued in solr/conf/schema and not made the corresponding change in web/xsl/solr-convert.xsl (who knew?).  Now I'm on to the next hurtle.  The solrmarc documentation describes the behavior of the elevate.xml file, and I see that one has appeared in solr/conf directory on the trunk, but when I try to use the file (to boost the New York Times), nothing seems to happen (though no errors are reported either).

Here is the stanza:

<query text="new york times">
   <doc id="5968164" />
   <doc id="721116" />
 </query>

 <query text="the new york times">
   <doc id="5968164" />
   <doc id="721116" />
 </query>

Any ideas on why it doesn't work?

Barnett, Jeffrey wrote:

> Correction, vufind rev is 770

Andrew Nagy-2
Well there are a couple of things here ...

1st - the new elevate.xml file is for solr1.3, so if you have upgraded that then you can use it.

2nd - we haven't yet implemented the fields in marc that tell you not to index the first few characters - which would make searching for "the new york times" and "new york times" exactly the same.

Andrew says (in an off-list note) that no version of vufind yet uses solr1.3.  Which is correct? (I'm now up to 792).

Barnett, Jeffrey wrote:

> Correction, vufind rev is 770

Jeffrey - to correct or clarify my self - no "published" version of vufind uses solr1.3.  It is still in development and will be used for version 1.0.

Does "published" mean "in the vufind trunk"?  I think it must, because I just peeked at the solr/admin/info page for the rev 792 version I just pulled, and it reports solr version 1.2.2008.06.12.08.06.21, which is newer that it used to be but still not 1.3.  So where can I get a 1.3 version?

Jeffrey - to correct or clarify my self - no "published" version of vufind uses solr1.3.  It is still in development and will be used for version 1.0.

Re: MarcImporter vufind/solrmarc SLOW!!

Barnett, Jeffrey
MarcImporter seems to not be aging gracefully.  Using the latest version (792), built this morning, and running nothing else on the machine I've only managed to load 444199 in 4 hours.  cpu utilisation varies from 4-6% and the process even goes to sleep at times.  There are fewer errors now, so it is even harder to figure out the low yield.

Sample from the Error log if it helps:

INFO: Registered new searcher Searcher@ec898a main
Jul 10, 2008 5:15:32 PM org.apache.solr.search.SolrIndexSearcher close
INFO: Closing Searcher@82254d main
        filterCache{lookups=0,hits=0,hitratio=0.00,inserts=0,evictions=0,size=0,cumulative_lookups=0,cumulative_hits=0,cumulative_hitratio=0.00,cumulative_inserts=0,cumulative_evictions=0}
        queryResultCache{lookups=0,hits=0,hitratio=0.00,inserts=0,evictions=0,size=0,cumulative_lookups=0,cumulative_hits=0,cumulative_hitratio=0.00,cumulative_inserts=0,cumulative_evictions=0}
        documentCache{lookups=0,hits=0,hitratio=0.00,inserts=0,evictions=0,size=0,cumulative_lookups=0,cumulative_hits=0,cumulative_hitratio=0.00,cumulative_inserts=0,cumulative_evictions=0}
Jul 10, 2008 5:16:02 PM org.apache.solr.update.DirectUpdateHandler2 commit
INFO: start commit(optimize=false,waitFlush=true,waitSearcher=true)
Jul 10, 2008 5:16:02 PM org.apache.solr.update.DirectUpdateHandler2 doDeletions
INFO: DirectUpdateHandler2 deleting and removing dups for 1095 ids
Jul 10, 2008 5:16:02 PM org.apache.solr.search.SolrIndexSearcher <init>
INFO: Opening Searcher@15e0c2b DirectUpdateHandler2
Jul 10, 2008 5:16:03 PM org.apache.solr.update.DirectUpdateHandler2 doDeletions
INFO: DirectUpdateHandler2 docs deleted=0
Jul 10, 2008 5:16:03 PM org.apache.solr.search.SolrIndexSearcher <init>
INFO: Opening Searcher@171194d main
Jul 10, 2008 5:16:03 PM org.apache.solr.update.DirectUpdateHandler2 commit
INFO: end_commit_flush
Jul 10, 2008 5:16:03 PM org.apache.solr.search.SolrIndexSearcher warm
INFO: autowarming Searcher@171194d main from Searcher@ec898a main
INFO: autowarming result for Searcher@171194d main
[...]
Jul 10, 2008 5:16:03 PM org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore registerSearcher
INFO: Registered new searcher Searcher@171194d main
Jul 10, 2008 5:16:03 PM org.apache.solr.search.SolrIndexSearcher close
INFO: Closing Searcher@ec898a main
        filterCache{lookups=0,hits=0,hitratio=0.00,inserts=0,evictions=0,size=0,cumulative_lookups=0,cumulative_hits=0,cumulative_hitratio=0.00,cumulative_inserts=0,cumulative_evictions=0}
        queryResultCache{lookups=0,hits=0,hitratio=0.00,inserts=0,evictions=0,size=0,cumulative_lookups=0,cumulative_hits=0,cumulative_hitratio=0.00,cumulative_inserts=0,cumulative_evictions=0}
        documentCache{lookups=0,hits=0,hitratio=0.00,inserts=0,evictions=0,size=0,cumulative_lookups=0,cumulative_hits=0,cumulative_hitratio=0.00,cumulative_inserts=0,cumulative_evictions=0}
Jul 10, 2008 5:16:33 PM org.apache.solr.update.DirectUpdateHandler2 commit
INFO: start commit(optimize=false,waitFlush=true,waitSearcher=true)
Jul 10, 2008 5:16:33 PM org.apache.solr.update.DirectUpdateHandler2 doDeletions
INFO: DirectUpdateHandler2 deleting and removing dups for 1090 ids
Jul 10, 2008 5:16:33 PM org.apache.solr.search.SolrIndexSearcher <init>
INFO: Opening Searcher@156e5ed DirectUpdateHandler2
Jul 10, 2008 5:16:34 PM org.apache.solr.update.DirectUpdateHandler2 doDeletions
INFO: DirectUpdateHandler2 docs deleted=0
Jul 10, 2008 5:16:34 PM org.apache.solr.search.SolrIndexSearcher <init>
INFO: Opening Searcher@114b17 main
Jul 10, 2008 5:16:34 PM org.apache.solr.update.DirectUpdateHandler2 commit
Does "published" mean "in the vufind trunk"?  I think it must, because I just peeked at the solr/admin/info page for the rev 792 version I just pulled, and it reports solr version 1.2.2008.06.12.08.06.21, which is newer that it used to be but still not 1.3.  So where can I get a 1.3 version?

Re: MarcImporter vufind/solrmarc SLOW!!

wsgrah
Administrator
Hi Jeffrey,

There have been quite a few additions to the processing of the marc
records in the most recent version of the import program. Andrew and I
worked a bit on optimizing the operations yesterday (there's still some
more work to be done), but I would highly recommend in your case to try
running the indexing on a local machine and then moving the index to you
server (or at least give it a try). I think your performance will be
greatly improved.

Wayne

--
/**
  * Wayne Graham
  * Earl Gregg Swem Library
  * PO Box 8794
  * Williamsburg, VA 23188
  * 757.221.3112
  * http://swem.wm.edu/blogs/waynegraham/
  */

Re: MarcImporter vufind/solrmarc

wsgrah
Administrator
The nightly snapshot of the 1.3 Solr trunk (the snapshot is from
6/12/08) is in the subversion repository. This isn't the final release
of 1.3, and may cause some issues as the program itself is still in
non-release form.

The published version of Vufind refers to the tarball available for
download...

Wayne

--
/**
  * Wayne Graham
  * Earl Gregg Swem Library
  * PO Box 8794
  * Williamsburg, VA 23188
  * 757.221.3112
  * http://swem.wm.edu/blogs/waynegraham/
  */

solrmarc success!

Delis, Christopher
Wayne, et al.,

Just wanted to send along a thank-you...  This past week, I completely
migrated to solrmarc and am quite satisfied with the results!  I
didn't keep count before, but I'm fairly certain we were losing a LOT
more records -- due to exception errors during import -- than we are
now:

25,504,520 records loaded
~700 total exceptions thrown (mostly number format exceptions - probably coming from malformed MARC records)

error rate   = .0000274461 (or .00274461%)
success rate = .9999725539 (or 99.99725539%, which I believe is more pure than Ivory Soap! :-)

Bravo!

Chris

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 10:07:49AM -0400, Wayne Graham wrote:

> [...]
> > Jul 10, 2008 5:16:33 PM org.apache.solr.update.DirectUpdateHandler2 commit
> > INFO: start commit(optimize=false,waitFlush=true,waitSearcher=true)
> > Jul 10, 2008 5:16:33 PM org.apache.solr.update.DirectUpdateHandler2 doDeletions
> > INFO: DirectUpdateHandler2 deleting and removing dups for 1090 ids
> > Jul 10, 2008 5:16:33 PM org.apache.solr.search.SolrIndexSearcher <init>
> > INFO: Opening Searcher@156e5ed DirectUpdateHandler2
> > Jul 10, 2008 5:16:34 PM org.apache.solr.update.DirectUpdateHandler2 doDeletions
> > INFO: DirectUpdateHandler2 docs deleted=0
> > Jul 10, 2008 5:16:34 PM org.apache.solr.search.SolrIndexSearcher <init>
> > INFO: Opening Searcher@114b17 main
> > Jul 10, 2008 5:16:34 PM org.apache.solr.update.DirectUpdateHandler2 commit

elevate.xml -- how to activate?

Barnett, Jeffrey
I've verified that I'm using the solr build you suggest, but the entries in elevate.xml continue to have no effect.

A post on the solr wiki (http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrPlugins )
Suggests adding a component entry to solrconfig.xml:

<searchComponent name="elevator" class="org.apache.solr.handler.component.QueryElevationComponent" >
  <!-- pick a fieldType to analyze queries -->
  <str name="queryFieldType">string</str>
  <str name="config-file">elevate.xml</str>
</searchComponent>

But that creates format error messages from solr on startup.
The comment seems to suggest that "fieldType" might be something I need to customize, but it isn't clear what valid choices might be.

Can someone provide a working example using "elevate" in both solrconfig.xml and elevate.xml?

--
/**
  * Wayne Graham
  * Earl Gregg Swem Library
  * PO Box 8794
  * Williamsburg, VA 23188
  * 757.221.3112
  * http://swem.wm.edu/blogs/waynegraham/
  */

Re: elevate.xml -- how to activate?

wsgrah
Administrator
Hi Jeffrey,

I believe you're getting the error because the elevate handler is
already in the solrconfig.xml file. To use the request handler, you'll
do something like:

http://localhost:8080/solr/elevate/?q=shakespear

Wayne

--
/**
  * Wayne Graham
  * Earl Gregg Swem Library
  * PO Box 8794
  * Williamsburg, VA 23188
  * 757.221.3112
  * http://swem.wm.edu/blogs/waynegraham/
  */

Re: elevate.xml -- how to activate?

Barnett, Jeffrey
That works as a standalone query (which is encouraging), but I want it to show up in the ordinary list-list view.  Is this a php question then?

--
/**
  * Wayne Graham
  * Earl Gregg Swem Library
  * PO Box 8794
  * Williamsburg, VA 23188
  * 757.221.3112
  * http://swem.wm.edu/blogs/waynegraham/
  */

Re: elevate.xml -- how to activate?

Andrew Nagy-2
Jeffrey - I don't know much about the new elevate feature - but a quick glance at the wiki shows that you can add it to a request handler.  You *might* be able to add it into the existing search handler to extend its capabilities.

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrPlugins#head-ca1e9494060ac798f27c5ed1d796b0c00ef71194

Per Graham's earlier post, and local verification, the elevate component is alreay part of vufind's solrconfig.xml (rev 789)

Jeffrey - I don't know much about the new elevate feature - but a quick glance at the wiki shows that you can add it to a request handler.  You *might* be able to add it into the existing search handler to extend its capabilities.

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrPlugins#head-ca1e9494060ac798f27c5ed1d796b0c00ef71194

Wayne Graham
If you want to use this instead of the search request handler

http://localhost:8080/solr/search/?q=shakespear

to the elevate request handler

http://localhost:8080/solr/elevate/?q=shakespear

This is about all I know about this, you might try the solr list for more specifics.

Wayne

--
/**