MarcImporter.java/jar

Barnett, Jeffrey
What is the relationship if any between the source code under import/marimporter/java and the jar file under import/solrmarc/dist?  I'm getting error messages from import.sh that report errors in MarcImporter.java that bear no resemblance to the distribute source:
ERROR [main] (MarcImporter.java:358) - Error reading record: Premature end of file encountered

actual code:
        // Determine Language
        String langCode;
        ControlField fixedLength = (ControlField) record.getVariableField("008");
        if (fixedLength != null) {

Re: MarcImporter.java/jar

Naomi Dushay
Jeffrey,

I may be way off here, but I've noticed my test data sometimes has
incorrect leader or fixed field lengths.  And there's one record in
our production data that has an incorrect leader length.

I've also preferred to use the import code directly from the solrmarc
project so it's easier for me to customize it.  We're still on Solr
1.2 here, for the moment, but I suspect I will continue to use a
separate solrmarc instance for importing.

- Naomi

On Oct 2, 2008, at 9:35 AM, Barnett, Jeffrey wrote:

> What is the relationship if any between the source code under import/
> marimporter/java and the jar file under import/solrmarc/dist?  I'm
> getting error messages from import.sh that report errors in
> MarcImporter.java that bear no resemblance to the distribute source:
> ERROR [main] (MarcImporter.java:358) - Error reading record:
> Premature end of file encountered
>
> actual code:
>        // Determine Language
>        String langCode;
>        ControlField fixedLength = (ControlField)
> record.getVariableField("008");
>        if (fixedLength != null) {

> challenge
> great prizes
> the world

Re: MarcImporter.java/jar

the code in the marcimporter directory is the older code that was Wayne's initial contribution and runs the 0.8.x releases.  We are now using the solrmarc code for marc importing which resides in the solrmarc directory.  The main java class that runs solrmarc is called "MarcImporter" - so that explains your confusion :)  Solrmarc is just a refactor of Wayne's marcimporter.

The error that you are reporting is caused by marc4j.  Could you send the marc record to wayne off list?

Thanks

Re: MarcImporter.java/jar

Barnett, Jeffrey
I suspected as much.  If the import/marcimporter/java code and associated build.xml are no longer used, wouldn't it be cleaner to just remove them from the trunk?  How do we figure out which version of solrmar source was used to build MarcImporter.jar, and therfore understand the error msgs?

The actual error behind the report I sent in was an empty input FILE (and therfore a real "premature" EOF).  I am attempting to delete records using delete-record-id-list from /import/solrmarc/import.properties without adding any new ones.  The error that is important is the one after that that says:

ERROR [main] (MarcImporter.java:307) - Error: unable to find and open delete-record-id-list: /export/home/jnolte/d081001.testa.del.bibid.txt

Which appears to be a valid, readable file:

$ cat /export/home/vufind/d081001.testa.del.bibid.txt
8106807

$ ll /export/home/vufind/d081001.testa.del.bibid.txt
-rwxrwxr-x   1 vufind   other         18 Oct  2 15:18 /export/home/vufind/d081001.testa.del.bibid.txt

So I'm left trying to figure out what went wrong without access to the source.

the code in the marcimporter directory is the older code that was Wayne's initial contribution and runs the 0.8.x releases.  We are now using the solrmarc code for marc importing which resides in the solrmarc directory.  The main java class that runs solrmarc is called "MarcImporter" - so that explains your confusion :)  Solrmarc is just a refactor of Wayne's marcimporter.

The error that you are reporting is caused by marc4j.  Could you send the marc record to wayne off list?

Thanks

Re: MarcImporter.java/jar

Andrew Nagy-2
The only way to determine which version of solrmarc is in the vufind source is to look at the last svn update to the solrmarc dir.  Whatever date that was should give you an idea of what rev was the latest at that point for solrmarc.  However, solrmarc hasn't changed a whole lot since our last update - so it's pretty safe to look at the trunk of solrmarc.

I guess I should have recorded the solrmarc rev somewhere :)

the code in the marcimporter directory is the older code that was Wayne's initial contribution and runs the 0.8.x releases.  We are now using the solrmarc code for marc importing which resides in the solrmarc directory.  The main java class that runs solrmarc is called "MarcImporter" - so that explains your confusion :)  Solrmarc is just a refactor of Wayne's marcimporter.

The error that you are reporting is caused by marc4j.  Could you send the marc record to wayne off list?

Thanks

Re: MarcImporter.java/jar

Hannah Ullrich
Hi,

is there an easy way to import the solrmarc source into the vufind
source, so that you can create the MarcImporter.jar with just one
mouseclick ;-)

Hannah

Andrew Nagy wrote:

> The only way to determine which version of solrmarc is in the vufind source is to look at the last svn update to the solrmarc dir.  Whatever date that was should give you an idea of what rev was the latest at that point for solrmarc.  However, solrmarc hasn't changed a whole lot since our last update - so it's pretty safe to look at the trunk of solrmarc.
>
> I guess I should have recorded the solrmarc rev somewhere :)
>
> Andrew

Hannah Ullrich
Fachinformatikerin

Universitaetsbibliothek Freiburg
EDV Dezernat
Patz der Universitaet 2
79098 Freiburg
Tel: +49-761 / 203-3877

Re: MarcImporter.java/jar

wsgrah
Administrator
We're attempting to keep this mostly synced with the trunk on solrmarc.
If you're using the Vufind trunk, you shouldn't need to pull in any of
the solrmarc source...or need to compile any source code.

Wayne

Hannah Ullrich wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is there an easy way to import the solrmarc source into the vufind
> source, so that you can create the MarcImporter.jar with just one
> mouseclick ;-)
>
> Hannah
>
> Andrew Nagy wrote:
>
>> The only way to determine which version of solrmarc is in the vufind source is to look at the last svn update to the solrmarc dir.  Whatever date that was should give you an idea of what rev was the latest at that point for solrmarc.  However, solrmarc hasn't changed a whole lot since our last update - so it's pretty safe to look at the trunk of solrmarc.
>>
>> I guess I should have recorded the solrmarc rev somewhere :)
>>
>> Andrew

/**
  * Wayne Graham
  * Earl Gregg Swem Library
  * PO Box 8794
  * Williamsburg, VA 23188
  * 757.221.3112
  * http://swem.wm.edu/blogs/waynegraham/
  * http://www.liquidfoot.com
  */

Re: MarcImporter.java/jar

Hannah Ullrich
Do I understand right? - I don't need the solrmarc source to fit the
programm for our requirement?
By the way we use the vufind trunk (atm 1108).

We want to change the options for indexing the datas or rather play with it.

Our intentions ist to display 'multivolume work record model' with vufind.
quote:
Basically every issue of a multivolume work (monography or serial) gets
it's own bibliographic record which is then linked to an overall bibl.
Record for the multivolume work itself.
/quote

Hannah

Wayne Graham wrote:

> We're attempting to keep this mostly synced with the trunk on
> solrmarc. If you're using the Vufind trunk, you shouldn't need to pull
> in any of the solrmarc source...or need to compile any source code.
>
> Wayne
>
> Hannah Ullrich wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> is there an easy way to import the solrmarc source into the vufind
>> source, so that you can create the MarcImporter.jar with just one
>> mouseclick ;-)
>>
>> Hannah
>>
>> Andrew Nagy wrote:
>>
>>> The only way to determine which version of solrmarc is in the vufind
>>> source is to look at the last svn update to the solrmarc dir.
>>> Whatever date that was should give you an idea of what rev was the
>>> latest at that point for solrmarc.  However, solrmarc hasn't changed
>>> a whole lot since our last update - so it's pretty safe to look at
>>> the trunk of solrmarc.
>>>
>>> I guess I should have recorded the solrmarc rev somewhere :)
>>>
>>> Andrew

to adjust the field mappings, you need to edit the following:
vufind/import/solrmarc/vufind.properties

We will be publishing docuementation on how to use the new vufind 1.0 setup soon.

I might be brave and put out vufind1.0rc1 today.