Functional Importer

Joel Timothy Norman, Mr
Hi,

We are planning on taking our ILS down and would like to use the Vufind based on solrmarc for the backup.  Is there a functional importer(work arround) I am on build 910 or 916.

Thanks,

Joel Norman

Re: Functional Importer

Andrew Nagy-2
Joel - We have the latest solrmarc build incorporated into vufind as of yesterday.  I have started my testing today - but have run into failures.  Feel free to get the latest code from SVN and try it out. But beware :)

The latest rev is 916

Re: Functional Importer (rev 916)

Barnett, Jeffrey
I tried rev 916 with the following result (after download and configuration, but no build)

$ more nohup.out
 INFO [main] (MarcImporter.java:572) - Starting SolrMarc indexing.
 INFO [main] (MarcImporter.java:582) - Loading properties from import/solrmarc/import.properties
        at org.solrmarc.marc.MarcImporter.loadProperties(MarcImporter.java:171)
        at org.solrmarc.marc.MarcImporter.<init>(MarcImporter.java:92)
        at org.solrmarc.marc.MarcImporter.main(MarcImporter.java:587)
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /import/solrmarc/vufind.properties (No such file or directory)
        at org.solrmarc.index.SolrIndexer.<init>(SolrIndexer.java:92)
        at org.solrmarc.index.VuFindIndexer.<init>(VuFindIndexer.java:59)
        ... 7 more
 WARN [main] (MarcImporter.java:193) - Unable to load Custom indexer: org.solrmarc.index.VuFindIndexer
 WARN [main] (MarcImporter.java:194) - Using default SolrIndexer with properties file: vufind.properties
ERROR [main] (MarcImporter.java:201) - Error configuring Indexer from properties file.  Exiting...

What I find confusing is the mismatch between the INFO statement " Loading properties from import/solrmarc/import.properties" and the exception "/import/solrmarc/vufind.properties (No such file or directory)"  Where did the (incorrect) leading slash come from?  In addition when I try to look at the source for MarcImporter.java at lines 572-582, it looks nothing like "Loading properties"

Thinking I might have grabbed or switched on of my own earlier builds I did an "svn info" with the following result:

$ svn info ./import/solrmarc/dist/MarcImporter.jar
Repository Root: https://vufind.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/vufind
Repository UUID: c33641aa-f933-0410-a13b-8402795397c9
Revision: 916
Node Kind: file
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Author: asnagy
Last Changed Rev: 913
Last Changed Date: 2008-08-14 11:10:45 -0400 (Thu, 14 Aug 2008)
Text Last Updated: 2008-08-14 19:40:34 -0400 (Thu, 14 Aug 2008)
Checksum: 8c77663c3abbefd2ef66b214cd049bfe

I know there were significant structural changes recently.  Are there some new environment variables and/or properties that need setting?  Oh, and why are there properties files included in the jar?

$ jar -tf ./import/solrmarc/dist/MarcImporter.jar
META-INF/
META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
org/
org/solrmarc/
org/solrmarc/index/
org/solrmarc/index/BlacklightIndexer.class
org/solrmarc/index/IndexerCheck$MyShutdownThread.class
org/solrmarc/index/IndexerCheck.class
org/solrmarc/index/SolrIndexer.class
org/solrmarc/index/VuFindIndexer.class
org/solrmarc/marc/
org/solrmarc/marc/BooklistReader.class
org/solrmarc/marc/MarcFilteredReader.class
org/solrmarc/marc/MarcImporter$MyShutdownThread.class
org/solrmarc/marc/MarcImporter.class
org/solrmarc/marc/MarcPrinter.class
org/solrmarc/marc/MarcTranslatedReader.class
org/solrmarc/marc/PermissiveReaderTest.class
org/solrmarc/marc/RawRecordReader.class
org/solrmarc/marc/SolrReIndexer.class
org/solrmarc/marcoverride/
org/solrmarc/marcoverride/UVAMarcFactoryImpl.class
org/solrmarc/marcoverride/UVARecordImpl.class
org/solrmarc/tests/
org/solrmarc/tests/AllTests.class
org/solrmarc/tests/BlacklightIndexerTest.class
org/solrmarc/tools/
org/solrmarc/tools/SolrMarcException.class
org/solrmarc/tools/Utils.class
org/solrmarc/z3950/
org/solrmarc/z3950/Z3950Importer.class
org/solrmarc/z3950/Z3950MarcReader.class
org/solrmarc/z3950/ZClient.class
blacklight.properties
build.properties
callnumber_map.properties
composition_era.properties
format_maps.properties
import.properties
importSamples.properties
importVufindSample.properties
instrument_map.properties
language_map.properties
library_map.properties
location_map.properties
log4j.properties
music_maps.properties
semester_at_sea.properties
vufind.properties

Joel - We have the latest solrmarc build incorporated into vufind as of yesterday.  I have started my testing today - but have run into failures.  Feel free to get the latest code from SVN and try it out. But beware :)

The latest rev is 916

Re: Functional Importer (rev 916)

Barnett, Jeffrey
As an experiment, I changed the import.properties file to contain an absolute file path to vufind.properties and discovered that something is actually add "/import/solrmarc" to the whole thing:

FileNotFoundException: /import/solrmarc/usr/local/yulprog/yu-dev-916/import/solrmarc/vufind.properties (No such file or directory)

Re: Functional Importer (rev 916)

Barnett, Jeffrey
... and that lead me to these lines in import.sh

# Set SOLRMARC_HOME
if [ -z "$SOLRMARC_HOME" ]
then
  SOLRMARC_HOME="$VUFIND_HOME/import/solrmarc"
fi

I had mistyped the VUFIND_HOME setting, so it was null, so the result was "/import/solrmarc"

I'm so embarased :-}

As an experiment, I changed the import.properties file to contain an absolute file path to vufind.properties and discovered that something is actually add "/import/solrmarc" to the whole thing:

FileNotFoundException: /import/solrmarc/usr/local/yulprog/yu-dev-916/import/solrmarc/vufind.properties (No such file or directory)

Re: Functional Importer (rev 916)

Andrew Nagy-2

> I had mistyped the VUFIND_HOME setting, so it was null, so the result
> was "/import/solrmarc"
>
> I'm so embarased :-}

:)  No problem - we all do little mistakes like that.

I tried testing the latest rev on my production server with some problems.  If you use rev 117 from solrmarc and the latest vufind - I think everything will work well.  I hope to have the vufind trunk working in the next few days.

Re: Functional Importer (rev 916) NumberFormatException

Barnett, Jeffrey
This may be fixed in the latest version, but for the record I got the following exception after correcting VUFIND_HOME

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "9
4b"
        at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(NumberFormatException.
java:48)
        at org.marc4j.marc.impl.Verifier.isControlField(Verifier.java:44)
        at org.marc4j.MarcPermissiveStreamReader.parseRecord(MarcPermissiveStrea
mReader.java:628)
        at org.marc4j.MarcPermissiveStreamReader.next(MarcPermissiveStreamReader
.java:237)
        at org.solrmarc.marc.MarcImporter.importRecords(MarcImporter.java:323)
        at org.solrmarc.marc.MarcImporter.main(MarcImporter.java:604)

I attach the record as well, since I know you guys like to collect sample records.

formatexception.bib (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Functional Importer (rev 916) NumberFormatException

Andrew Nagy-2
Jeffrey - I was running into the same problems.  I have already posted a fix to solrmarc and am about to add it to the vufind source as well.  Basically it will just ignore these records.  The problem is that a malformatted record cannot be parsed by marc4j - and therefore we cannot report on the record ID number as to which records are bad.  However, the folks at UVa are working on a system for this and it should be available soon.

Be sure to report this record to your catalogers - most likely something is formatter incorrectly with the record.

I probably won't be able to use this trick after the primary load, but we are currently loading in bib-id sequence, so I can find the faulty record by going to the next <active> bib_id after the last succesful one.
We've found and reported a few thousand already.

Jeffrey - I was running into the same problems.  I have already posted a fix to solrmarc and am about to add it to the vufind source as well.  Basically it will just ignore these records.  The problem is that a malformatted record cannot be parsed by marc4j - and therefore we cannot report on the record ID number as to which records are bad.  However, the folks at UVa are working on a system for this and it should be available soon.

Be sure to report this record to your catalogers - most likely something is formatter incorrectly with the record.

Indexing now works .. at least through localhost:8080/solr/sdmin.  But the web interface returns a blank screen with the following error in the apache error_log:

[Wed Aug 20 10:31:44 2008] [error] [client 130.132.80.102] PHP Warning:  Smarty error: unable to read resource: "layout.tpl" in /opt/csw/php5/lib/php/Smarty/Smarty.class.php on line 1095

This sounds familiar, but I don't know where to look next.  (layout.tpl does exist with vufind read permission)