Quantcast

Easy way to create bibliographies based on search results in Vufind?

Easy way to create bibliographies based on search results in Vufind?

Elfstrand, Stephen F

Is there an easy way to create bibliographies based on search results in Vufind?

Issues

1)      Can one create a group of records from the results list using a check box beside each record for printing  or selecting groups of records at a time?

2)      Exporting a record is a one-at-a-time process, you have to view it then export. Can’t we export a group of records?

3)      Each export seems to create a separate file. Is it possible to append to an existing export file?

4)      Is there a way to specify which fields get exported? Want subject headings for example.

We don’t want to tell students that they have to go through multiple steps in multiple applications to do this.

Thanks for any help

Stephen F. Elfstrand

PALS Executive Director

[hidden email]

507.389.2000

Cell 507.381.6999

ML3022

Minnesota State University, Mankato

Mankato MN 56001

Re: Easy way to create bibliographies based on search results in Vufind?

Ere Maijala
This is not a comprehensive answer since we don't have all functionality
enabled, but I'll answer about what I'm aware of.

1) Yes. There's a cart function that allows one to add selected records
to a cart and perform actions on them. You can also add them to
favorites for further processing or grouping.

2) Yes. Batch export is available from search results, cart and favorites.

3.) Not that I know of. I think there might be at least an issue with
working with different formats. E.g. if save a record as MarcXML, you
can't just append another record to the file since it wouldn't be proper
XML. And since you can export records in multiple formats, mixing them
wouldn't go. Lastly, since export currently downloads a file on the
computer, there's no clean way of appending to it in the browser. But
perhaps batch export from the cart or favorites could alleviate this.

4.) At least for EndNote, RefWorks, BibTex and RIS formats you define
the fields by modifying a template file, but selection of fields is not
for the end user when doing the export.

--Ere

22.11.2016, 18.55, Elfstrand, Stephen F kirjoitti:

> Is there an easy way to create bibliographies based on search results in
> Vufind?
>

> Issues
>
> 1)      Can one create a group of records from the results list using a
> check box beside each record for printing  or selecting groups of
> records at a time?
>
> 2)      Exporting a record is a one-at-a-time process, you have to view
> it then export. Can’t we export a group of records?
>
> 3)      Each export seems to create a separate file. Is it possible to
> append to an existing export file?
>
> 4)      Is there a way to specify which fields get exported? Want
> subject headings for example.
>

> We don’t want to tell students that they have to go through multiple
> steps in multiple applications to do this.
>

> Thanks for any help
>

> Stephen F. Elfstrand
>
> PALS Executive Director
>
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>

> 507.389.2000
>
> Cell 507.381.6999
>
> ML3022
>
> Minnesota State University, Mankato
>
> Mankato MN 56001

Ere Maijala
Kansalliskirjasto / The National Library of Finland