Difficulty with PDO support in PHP

Calvin Miracle

Hello all,

Our site, University of Louisville Libraries, is attempting to bring up
VuFind 0.8.2 on Ubuntu 8.04 server, PHP 5.2, and Apache 2.2.
We installed PHP and Apache via the Ubuntu package manager, not
from source.

We are having problems making a connection to the Oracle server
on our Voyager ILS.  We traced the problem down to a lack of PDO_OCI
support in PHP.  After we initially installed Apache and PHP, phpinfo()
reported that the PDO and PDO_mysql extensions were enabled.  We
were able to add the OCI8 extension, via PECL, and this also was
confirmed on a phpinfo() report.

But, an attempt to get PDO_OCI installed via PECL lead to a conflict with
the PDO extension ("PDO_OCI requires PHP extension PDO version
>= 1.0"). When we tried to install the PDO extension in PECL, we lost
the PDO extension in the phpinfo() report! Apache also refused to restart
because of module errors, such as this:

PHP Warning:  Module 'PDO' already loaded in Unknown on line 0 /usr/sbin/apache2: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/php5/20060613+lfs/pdo_mysql.so: undefined symbol: php_pdo_get_dbh_ce

As far as I can tell, OCI8, PDO, and PDO_OCI are all needed to allow
VuFind to get holdings data from Voyager.

We've done some digging in Google and have found many support
issues regarding the PDO interface and PDO driver installation in PHP.
Does anyone have advice on this?

Thank you very much,

- Calvin Miracle, UofL Libraries
- Liren Liu, UofL Libraries