Dependencies

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Dependencies

wsgrah
Administrator
I've been working on the debian packages some more this afternoon and I
wanted to run something by the list...

Currently, the package requires the following packages:

apache2
mysql-client
sun-java5-jdk
php5
php5-dev
php5-ldap
php5-mysql
php-pear
curl

With recommendations for

sun-java6-jdk
mysql-server

I was thinking of making the required dependency to be Java 6 (it'll be
slightly faster), but the mysql-server requirement I'm questioning
whether or not to put on. I've got the debian package to launch the
install script when it finishes installing all the files, but if MySQL
isn't installed, folks could run into issues.

I see this as having a few reasonable solutions. First, just take out
the launching of the install script. Second, assume the user knows what
they're doing, or third, do more scripting to check for this stuff.

Anyway, who wants to move the required JDK to Java 6 for the Debian
package (probably not for RPM folks since there's not a default
repository with Java in it). What about the MySQL
requirement/recommendation?

Wayne

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the new SourceForge.net Marketplace.
It's the best place to buy or sell services for
just about anything Open Source.
http://sourceforge.net/services/buy/index.php
_______________________________________________
Vufind-tech mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/vufind-tech

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Dependencies

Andrew Nagy-2
1st off I think you are missing php-xsl.
2nd, I'd say push for the mysql-server.  If someone wants to have a mirrored environment - they can uninstall mysql-server.  I'd say 90% will have mysql on the local server.  Also I think you need the other mysql packages such as mysql-devel.

Also - I'd like to see the deb,rpm,msi,etc be able to automatically run the install script as well as edit the config file automagically.  I think there is a section in the rpm.spec for writing scripts.  Can you do this in a deb?

Andrew

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email] [mailto:vufind-tech-
> [hidden email]] On Behalf Of Wayne Graham
> Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 4:08 PM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [VuFind-Tech] Dependencies
>
> I've been working on the debian packages some more this afternoon and I
> wanted to run something by the list...
>
> Currently, the package requires the following packages:
>
> apache2
> mysql-client
> sun-java5-jdk
> php5
> php5-dev
> php5-ldap
> php5-mysql
> php-pear
> curl
>
> With recommendations for
>
> sun-java6-jdk
> mysql-server
>
> I was thinking of making the required dependency to be Java 6 (it'll be
> slightly faster), but the mysql-server requirement I'm questioning
> whether or not to put on. I've got the debian package to launch the
> install script when it finishes installing all the files, but if MySQL
> isn't installed, folks could run into issues.
>
> I see this as having a few reasonable solutions. First, just take out
> the launching of the install script. Second, assume the user knows what
> they're doing, or third, do more scripting to check for this stuff.
>
> Anyway, who wants to move the required JDK to Java 6 for the Debian
> package (probably not for RPM folks since there's not a default
> repository with Java in it). What about the MySQL
> requirement/recommendation?
>
> Wayne
>
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
> --
> Check out the new SourceForge.net Marketplace.
> It's the best place to buy or sell services for
> just about anything Open Source.
> http://sourceforge.net/services/buy/index.php
> _______________________________________________
> Vufind-tech mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/vufind-tech

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the new SourceForge.net Marketplace.
It's the best place to buy or sell services for
just about anything Open Source.
http://sourceforge.net/services/buy/index.php
_______________________________________________
Vufind-tech mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/vufind-tech

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Dependencies

wsgrah
Administrator
D'oh...forgot php-xsl.

With debian, there's a bunch of files to do different things...one of
which is the postint (postinstall) which is just a bash script that
launches the installer.

I put the actual files I'm using for the debian package in the
repository (packages/DEBIAN). I'm working on a script right now to
export the repository and then generate the package. Small bug in it,
but I should be able to finish it up tomorrow.

Question...how do you think best to remind folks to set JAVA_HOME,
JAVA_OPTIONS, and SOLR_HOME?

Wayne

Andrew Nagy wrote:

> 1st off I think you are missing php-xsl.
> 2nd, I'd say push for the mysql-server.  If someone wants to have a mirrored environment - they can uninstall mysql-server.  I'd say 90% will have mysql on the local server.  Also I think you need the other mysql packages such as mysql-devel.
>
> Also - I'd like to see the deb,rpm,msi,etc be able to automatically run the install script as well as edit the config file automagically.  I think there is a section in the rpm.spec for writing scripts.  Can you do this in a deb?
>
> Andrew
>
>  
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: [hidden email] [mailto:vufind-tech-
>> [hidden email]] On Behalf Of Wayne Graham
>> Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 4:08 PM
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: [VuFind-Tech] Dependencies
>>
>> I've been working on the debian packages some more this afternoon and I
>> wanted to run something by the list...
>>
>> Currently, the package requires the following packages:
>>
>> apache2
>> mysql-client
>> sun-java5-jdk
>> php5
>> php5-dev
>> php5-ldap
>> php5-mysql
>> php-pear
>> curl
>>
>> With recommendations for
>>
>> sun-java6-jdk
>> mysql-server
>>
>> I was thinking of making the required dependency to be Java 6 (it'll be
>> slightly faster), but the mysql-server requirement I'm questioning
>> whether or not to put on. I've got the debian package to launch the
>> install script when it finishes installing all the files, but if MySQL
>> isn't installed, folks could run into issues.
>>
>> I see this as having a few reasonable solutions. First, just take out
>> the launching of the install script. Second, assume the user knows what
>> they're doing, or third, do more scripting to check for this stuff.
>>
>> Anyway, who wants to move the required JDK to Java 6 for the Debian
>> package (probably not for RPM folks since there's not a default
>> repository with Java in it). What about the MySQL
>> requirement/recommendation?
>>
>> Wayne
>>
>> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
>> --
>> Check out the new SourceForge.net Marketplace.
>> It's the best place to buy or sell services for
>> just about anything Open Source.
>> http://sourceforge.net/services/buy/index.php
>> _______________________________________________
>> Vufind-tech mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/vufind-tech
>>    
>
>  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the new SourceForge.net Marketplace.
It's the best place to buy or sell services for
just about anything Open Source.
http://sourceforge.net/services/buy/index.php
_______________________________________________
Vufind-tech mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/vufind-tech

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Dependencies

Andrew Nagy-2
> Question...how do you think best to remind folks to set JAVA_HOME,
> JAVA_OPTIONS, and SOLR_HOME?

They all get set in the vufind.sh script - so hopefully they won't need to be set by an sys admin.  And with the install packages, they won't be installing to a different directory, this way we can hardcode everything to /usr/local/vufind.

Andrew

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the new SourceForge.net Marketplace.
It's the best place to buy or sell services for
just about anything Open Source.
http://sourceforge.net/services/buy/index.php
_______________________________________________
Vufind-tech mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/vufind-tech

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Dependencies

Wayne Graham
I need to make a couple of changes to the startup script then for
debian (the guessing where Java is doesn't work on Ubuntu).

Wayne



On 6/10/08, Andrew Nagy <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Question...how do you think best to remind folks to set JAVA_HOME,
>> JAVA_OPTIONS, and SOLR_HOME?
>
> They all get set in the vufind.sh script - so hopefully they won't need to
> be set by an sys admin.  And with the install packages, they won't be
> installing to a different directory, this way we can hardcode everything to
> /usr/local/vufind.
>
> Andrew
>

--
Sent from Gmail for mobile | mobile.google.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the new SourceForge.net Marketplace.
It's the best place to buy or sell services for
just about anything Open Source.
http://sourceforge.net/services/buy/index.php
_______________________________________________
Vufind-tech mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/vufind-tech
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Offline indexing

Barnett, Jeffrey
When using MarcImporter to build an index offline is it still necessary to have an active Solr port?  In particular how can the index be "committed" without the use of the ending "curl" command?

In a loosely related question, is there any remaining function to the two php scripts in the import directory? They haven't been updated in six months, so seem unlikely to still interoprate with the current schema.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the new SourceForge.net Marketplace.
It's the best place to buy or sell services for
just about anything Open Source.
http://sourceforge.net/services/buy/index.php
_______________________________________________
Vufind-tech mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/vufind-tech
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Offline indexing

Wayne Graham
If you're not running Jetty when you index, the commit happens at startup; if Solr is up, it's just there as a catch-all to make sure there's an update. It was really more of a band aid to get it working. As soon as I bring in the solrmarc code, this will go away and get handled directly in Solr.

I believe the PHP stuff is in there because we haven't cleaned up that directory...

Wayne

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 5:07 PM, Barnett, Jeffrey <[hidden email]> wrote:
When using MarcImporter to build an index offline is it still necessary to have an active Solr port?  In particular how can the index be "committed" without the use of the ending "curl" command?

In a loosely related question, is there any remaining function to the two php scripts in the import directory? They haven't been updated in six months, so seem unlikely to still interoprate with the current schema.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the new SourceForge.net Marketplace.
It's the best place to buy or sell services for
just about anything Open Source.
http://sourceforge.net/services/buy/index.php
_______________________________________________
Vufind-tech mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/vufind-tech



--
Bill Watterson  - "There is not enough time to do all the nothing we want to do."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the new SourceForge.net Marketplace.
It's the best place to buy or sell services for
just about anything Open Source.
http://sourceforge.net/services/buy/index.php
_______________________________________________
Vufind-tech mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/vufind-tech
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Offline indexing

Andrew Nagy-2
In reply to this post by Barnett, Jeffrey
> In a loosely related question, is there any remaining function to the
> two php scripts in the import directory? They haven't been updated in
> six months, so seem unlikely to still interoprate with the current
> schema.

The PHP code is there since it can still be used as a basis for importing other data.  It is very easy to tweak the code to import data from say a mysql database.

Andrew

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the new SourceForge.net Marketplace.
It's the best place to buy or sell services for
just about anything Open Source.
http://sourceforge.net/services/buy/index.php
_______________________________________________
Vufind-tech mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/vufind-tech