Debs, RPMs, MSIs, and Pkgs

wsgrah
Administrator
Ok, after some more testing, it looks like using alien to convert debian
packages isn't going to work very well so we'll need to keep
contol/spec/pkginfo/whatever Windows uses.

I've set up an experimental apt-repository set up with plans for a yum
repo (actually I have one running, I'm just not going to tell anyone the
URL yet since the RPM build doesn't work correctly). My question is, do
folks just want the package installers, or would the package managers
help folks out?

Also, I'm working on a list of target OSes to test these against. Right
now this is my list:

- Ubuntu (8.04)
- CentOS 5 (~ RHEL 5)
- Fedora Core 9
- OpenSolaris
- Windows 2003

Any other OSes you really really want to see?

Wayne

Re: Debs, RPMs, MSIs, and Pkgs

Barnett, Jeffrey
As I understand the terminology OpenSolaris is the project name, the currently supported versions are Solaris 8, 9, and 10.  Versions earlier than 10 are reported to have limited PERL support, Solaris "Express" referes to the latest stable trunk, which is a moving target, so I guess the reasonable target for VuFind would be to support Solaris 10 and above.

(my $.02 only, I may have completely misunderstood the question)

Re: Debs, RPMs, MSIs, and Pkgs

I don't have the slightest clue on how to build an MSI, will it accomplish what we need.  I just put it on the list cause I thought it would be cool to have since we were building unix packages.

Also - I want to include the rpm, deb, msi, etc on the download page with the 1.0 release on SF.net - so I don't think a repo is necessary - but it's probably good for testing.

Thanks - this is awesome!

Now I just need to find some machines to test this on ... anyone have spare linux machines wasting away?

Re: Debs, RPMs, MSIs, and Pkgs

Sandford, Mark
I have a linux machine at home that's taking up space.  I'm more than
happy to install whatever distro is needed and test out packages.  That
being said, it's an old desktop PC, so I can test out regular x86 and
x86_64 flavors.. nothing heavy duty.

That  being said, let me know and I'll install whatever distros we want.
I'm thinking debian for .deb and Suse for rpm?

Mark

I don't have the slightest clue on how to build an MSI, will it
accomplish what we need.  I just put it on the list cause I thought it
would be cool to have since we were building unix packages.

Also - I want to include the rpm, deb, msi, etc on the download page
with the 1.0 release on SF.net - so I don't think a repo is necessary -
but it's probably good for testing.

Thanks - this is awesome!

Now I just need to find some machines to test this on ... anyone have
spare linux machines wasting away?

Re: Debs, RPMs, MSIs, and Pkgs

wsgrah
Administrator
VMWare is great for this...if you've got some hard drive space, you can
get a lot of different systems on a single box. The really great thing
is that you can take a snapshot of the box before you test something
that will really, really, really mess it up (ok, so I learned that AFTER
I munged the postinst script in the deb package, but I do it now).

Anyway, I guess a real Debian install (I've been using Ubuntu) would be
good and there are probably more than a few folks running *Suse
somewhere. Let me know when you're ready and I'll send the Debian
package (and hopefully have the RPM ready by then). What I'm hoping is
that we can get a single RPM spec that will work for most of the distros
folks are using...

Wayne

Sandford, Mark wrote:

> I have a linux machine at home that's taking up space.  I'm more than
> happy to install whatever distro is needed and test out packages.  That
> being said, it's an old desktop PC, so I can test out regular x86 and
> x86_64 flavors.. nothing heavy duty.
>
> That  being said, let me know and I'll install whatever distros we want.
> I'm thinking debian for .deb and Suse for rpm?
>
> Mark

Re: Debs, RPMs, MSIs, and Pkgs

wsgrah
Administrator
It's been a long while since I built an MSI, but it should do most of
what needs to be done. Hopefully the Windows Installer SDK is
straight-forward. I don't even think I've put in John Wohler's changes
yet...let me get those files in there real quick.

Wayne