Controlling how and what gets displayed in holdings portals

Controlling how and what gets displayed in holdings portals

Shepard, Thomas - 1150 - MITLL

This may be a basic question, but it has us stumped: What determines which fields get displayed in the holdings section of catalog records?

We are trying to display our 088 for our archives collection records.

We thought this might be configured in Symphony.ini but have not seen evidence of this yet.

Also, should we assume that the join between a catalog record and its holdings via web services is the vufind Id field? We are trying to understand why there is no holdings info for some of our archives records.

Thanks,

Thom

Thom Shepard

MIT Lincoln Lab
244 Wood St.

Lexington, MA 01523

[hidden email]

781 981 0370

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment

Re: Controlling how and what gets displayed in holdings portals

Demian Katz

Thom,

In the case of the Symphony ILS driver, it looks like the getHolding method used for the holdings tab is simply proxying the getStatus method used for search result statuses. You can trace the code here if you want to try to figure out what is going on in there:

https://github.com/vufind-org/vufind/blob/master/module/VuFind/src/VuFind/ILS/Driver/Symphony.php#L989

Unfortunately, I don’t know anything about the Symphony driver internals, since I haven’t worked with that system or that code. However, if you have specific questions about it, I’m happy to offer what insight I can.

If you want to display a field that comes from the MARC record, you don’t necessarily have to go through the ILS driver to do it. You could instead opt to customize the holdings tab template, and customize your record driver to expose the necessary details. Let me know if you need more details on how to pursue this approach.

- Demian