Connecting VuFind to Symphony

David_Holt
I know this topic has been discussed before but I'm wondering if anyone can help me out here a little.

We just turned Web Services on for our Symphony installation.  The URL that was given to us by Sirsi ends with "ilsws".  I added "VuFind" as a client ID in the admin tool (and selected "13 Discovery Client" as the user type).  I then added the login "admin" and the password that was provided to us.

Should I select "Unicorn" as the ILS driver in the config.ini file?  Or should that be "Symphony" instead?  The documentation (and discussion posts) on this are a little confusing.

Also, how would I find the error messages on this to give me some guidance?

Thanks in advance!

David Holt, MLIS, JD
Branch Librarian, San Jose
Ninth Circuit Libraries
phone | 669.272.1629

Re: Connecting VuFind to Symphony

VuFind comes with two different SirsiDynix-related drivers:

Unicorn: this is an older driver, associated with this external project: https://github.com/timmcgeary/vufind-unicorn. This requires you to set up an extra component on the ILS server in addition to setting up the VuFind side. I suspect that it has not been used or updated in a few years.

Symphony: this is a newer driver that uses web services. This should be more up to date and is most likely the one that you want to try setting up.

Apologies for the confusion around this issue.

You should be able to copy the default $VUFIND_HOME/config/vufind/Symphony.ini file into $VUFIND_LOCAL_DIR/config/vufind/Symphony.ini and plug in the relevant values to get things going.

If you still have trouble after configuring that, please let us know and we’ll be happy to offer further assistance. You might also find it helpful to turn on debug mode near the top of config.ini, but I’m not sure how detailed the debug output is for the Symphony driver (this varies from ILS to ILS). If the existing output is not sufficiently helpful, we can work together to improve upon it if necessary.

- Demian

Re: Connecting VuFind to Symphony

David_Holt
I wonder which "user type" I should be selected in the Symphony Admin Tool.  Any suggestions?

David Holt, MLIS, JD
Branch Librarian, San Jose
Ninth Circuit Libraries
phone | 669.272.1629

Re: Connecting VuFind to Symphony

Demian Katz

“Other Online Client” doesn’t look like a bad guess, though “Discovery Client” might also make sense. I don’t think a little trial and error should do any harm – but if you do figure out the answer, this is something that would it make sense to document in Symphony.ini to prevent future confusion.

(Sorry for not having a more informed answer – unfortunately I’m not a Symphony user myself – but please let me know if you need further troubleshooting assistance).

- Demian

Re: Connecting VuFind to Symphony

David_Holt
I tried all of them and they didn't work.  I'm thinking that it might simply be a problem with Sirsi's Web Services.

In the config file, it asks for a URL that looks like:

http://localhost:8080/symws

But the URL I was given by Sirsi is:

http://my-domain/us06_ilsws

I assume there must be a difference between "symws" and "ilsws" but I don't know what.

Maybe I should simply reach out to Sirsi and ask for help.

David Holt, MLIS, JD
Branch Librarian, San Jose
Ninth Circuit Libraries
phone | 669.272.1629

From:        Demian Katz <[hidden email]>
To:        "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Cc:        vufind-tech <[hidden email]>
Date:        07/12/2017 06:26 AM

“Other Online Client” doesn’t look like a bad guess, though “Discovery Client” might also make sense. I don’t think a little trial and error should do any harm – but if you do figure out the answer, this is something that would it make sense to document in Symphony.ini to prevent future confusion.

(Sorry for not having a more informed answer – unfortunately I’m not a Symphony user myself – but please let me know if you need further troubleshooting assistance).

- Demian

RE: [VuFind-Tech] Connecting VuFind to Symphony

I wonder which "user type" I should be selected in the Symphony Admin Tool.  Any suggestions?

David Holt, MLIS, JD

Branch Librarian, San Jose
Ninth Circuit Libraries
phone | 669.272.1629

From:
Demian Katz <demian.katz@...>
To:
"David_Holt@..." <David_Holt@...>, vufind-tech <[hidden email]>
Date:
07/11/2017 11:50 AM
[...]

If I am reading it correctly, this brochure suggests that the web services may not be available in all Symphony systems:

http://www.sirsidynix.com/files/pdf/SirsiDynix_Web_Services_Overview.pdf

It might be worth reaching out to Sirsi, telling them you need to use SOAP web services, and asking if that is supported and enabled in your current system.

If they are not able to help, the next step may be to try putting some debug messages into the code so we can better troubleshoot what is going on. I'm happy to help with that if necessary. I can also try to track down some other VuFind/Symphony users to help, but I have a feeling that many have moved on to different ILSes by this point.

In any case, my apologies that this is not going as smoothly as hoped.

- Demian

From:        Demian Katz <[hidden email]>
To:        "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Cc:        vufind-tech <[hidden email]>
Date:        07/12/2017 06:26 AM

“Other Online Client” doesn’t look like a bad guess, though “Discovery Client” might also make sense. I don’t think a little trial and error should do any harm – but if you do figure out the answer, this is something that would it make sense to document in Symphony.ini to prevent future confusion.

(Sorry for not having a more informed answer – unfortunately I’m not a Symphony user myself – but please let me know if you need further troubleshooting assistance).

- Demian

RE: [VuFind-Tech] Connecting VuFind to Symphony

I wonder which "user type" I should be selected in the Symphony Admin Tool.  Any suggestions?

David Holt, MLIS, JD

Branch Librarian, San Jose
Ninth Circuit Libraries
phone | 669.272.1629

From:
Demian Katz <[hidden email]>
To:
"[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>, vufind-tech <[hidden email]>
Date:
07/11/2017 11:50 AM