Browse module returns author last names in wrong alphabetical category

Browse module returns author last names in wrong alphabetical category

Leila Gonzales

Hi all,

When a user selects Browse the Catalog -> Author -> By Alphabetical and then selects a letter, a list of author names is displayed. What we’re seeing is that, if for example, the user selects “A”, they will see author last names that start with “A” and also author last names that don’t start with “A”.

With some troubleshooting, we’ve found that those author last names that don’t start with “A”, but are listed in the Browse the Catalog -> Author -> By Alphabetical -> A list – these authors are listed on publications that also have authors that have last names that start with “A”.

We are using the default settings for the Browse  module in config.ini (author = true). Is there something else we should be doing in order to have the author names display in the correct alphabetical category?

Thanks,
Leila

Re: Browse module returns author last names in wrong alphabetical category

Demian Katz

Leila,

That problem was likely introduced when the author field was changed from single-valued to multi-valued a few releases ago; the browse module is rarely used and so nobody noticed.

I believe that there is an additional Solr facet parameter that can be used to filter facet values to match a pattern, and we probably just need to add that parameter when retrieving author details. It is possible that we are already doing this for some of the other multi-valued fields like subject headings. Unfortunately, I don't remember the details of the top of my head, and I know that the browse code is not the most straightforward thing in VuFind.

If you're not able to figure this out reasonably quickly, please feel free to open a JIRA ticket and I can dig into it a bit more on Monday when I'm back in the office.

- Demian

Re: Browse module returns author last names in wrong alphabetical category

Leila Gonzales

Thanks Demian. I’ll dig into the code and will let you know if I need to open a JIRA ticket for this.