Alphabrowse only returns heading values and no items

Alphabrowse only returns heading values and no items

Leila Gonzales

Hi all,

We're trying to add a custom alphabrowse field to the alphabrowsing options, and are finding that the alphabrowse results page only populates with the heading values. The heading  values are not hyperlinked (as they are, say when one selects "author" in the Browse by drop down menu), and the number of results are not displayed.  So for example, our results table shows, “GeoSurvey Name A” (not hyperlinked), and no number in the Results column.

I've followed the instructions at https://vufind.org/wiki/indexing:alphabetical_heading_browse, have reloaded our test dataset and re-run the index-alphabetic-browse.sh, and restarted Solr and Apache numerous times, but to no avail. I also can confirm that we do have a geosurvey_browse.db in solr/vufind/biblio/alphabetical_browse/

The settings we have are as follows. Is there another file where I should be looking to troubleshoot this, or perhaps a configuration parameter that needs to be set?

marc_local.properties:  note_geosurvey_browse_str_mv = 500a

index-alphabetic-browse.sh:  build_browse "geosurvey" "note_geosurvey_browse_str_mv"

solrconfig.xml:

    <str name="sources">geosurvey,topic,author,title,lcc,dewey,hierarchy</str>

    <lst name="geosurvey">

      <str name="DBpath">${solr.solr.home:./solr}/alphabetical_browse/geosurvey_browse.db</str>

      <str name="field"> note_geosurvey_browse_str_mv</str>

    </lst>

searchspecs.yaml:

GeosurveyBrowse:

  QueryFields:

    note_geosurvey_browse_str_mv:

      - [onephrase, ~]

config.ini:

[AlphaBrowse_Types]

geosurvey = "By GeoSurvey"

Thanks for any pointers you can send my way.

Kind regards,

Leila

Re: Alphabrowse only returns heading values and no items

Demian Katz

This may be a totally irrelevant observation, but just in case it matters, I notice that

<str name="field"> note_geosurvey_browse_str_mv</str>

Appears to contain a space in front of the field name. Is there any possibility this is throwing things off?

I’d recommend removing the space, restarting Solr, and seeing if that makes any difference.

If nothing is changed as a result of that, let me know and I’ll give this deeper thought  (and perhaps try to reproduce it).

- Demian

Re: Alphabrowse only returns heading values and no items

Leila Gonzales

Thank you so much Demian. That was it!

-Leila

Re: Alphabrowse only returns heading values and no items

Demian Katz

Excellent! It might be worth adding some logic to the Solr handler to trim the values in those tags, since in an ideal world that shouldn’t have broken anything… but glad we solved it for now! J

- Demian