663 field of authority record doesn't show up

663 field of authority record doesn't show up

Wang, Yongming
Dear all,

I uploaded and indexed all our authority records into VuFind (v. 2.4). I created "marc_auth_local.properties" file (Please see the whole file in the end) to include 400(Use for), 500(See also), and 663 (Search also under). When I search the authority module, however, only 400 (Use for) and 500 (See also) show up. The 663 (Search also under) doesn't show up. I knew we have about one thousand authority records that contain 663.

Then I found in .../vufind2/solr/authority/conf/schema.xml the following statement:

<field name="scope_note" type="string" indexed="false" stored="true" multiValued="true"/>

So I changed indexed="false" to indexed="true" and re-indexed all records. It still doesn't work.

In our Voyager catalog, it has the "Search also under" feature. So if I do an author search for "Twain, Mark", it will display this statement under Twain, Mark:

For works of this author written under other names, search also under Clemens, Samuel Langhorne, 1835-1910, Snodgrass, Quintus Curtius, 1835-1910 Conte, Louis de, 1835-1910, Alden, Jean François, 1835-1910

I kind of suspect that this 663 filed is not programmed in VuFind authority. Is that so? What should I do if I want to make it to work?

Here is my marc_auth_local.properties file:

id = 001
source = "Catalog"
record_type = " Names"
heading = 100abcdegjqt:110abcdegjqt:111abcdegjqt:130abcdegjqt:150abvxyz:151a:155avxyz:180vxyz:181vxyz:182vxyz:185
vxyz
use_for = 400abcdegjqt:410abcdegjqt:411abcdegjqt:430abcdegjqt:450abvxyz:451a:455avxyz:480vxyz:481vxyz:482vxyz:485
vxyz
see_also = 500abcdegjqt:510abcdegjqt:511abcdegjqt:530abcdegjqt:550abvxyz:551a:555avxyz:580vxyz:581vxyz:582vxyz:58
5vxyz
scope_note = 663ab

Thanks very much in advance!

Yongming

--
Yongming Wang
Systems Librarian/Associate Professor

Re: 663 field of authority record doesn't show up

Demian Katz

I don’t think that the scope_note field was intended to be used for “search also under” – I think it was meant for free-text explanations of the scope of a particular authority record. That’s why it was stored but not indexed – there might be a need to display it under some circumstances, but it is not meant to be searchable in the same way as a heading would be.

As you say, VuFind does not implement the concept of “search also under.” If you look at the MARC definition for the 663 field, you will see that this is actually defined as a special case of “see also”:

https://www.loc.gov/marc/authority/ad663.html

This means that you have at least three options:

1.)    You can index 663b as another option for see_also – i.e. just add “:663b” at the end of the existing field specification. This will establish see also links to the relevant headings using the existing VuFind code and infrastructure. However, it will not differentiate the different types of see also references.

2.)    You can add a mechanism for handling complex see also references more flexibly. Since it appears that any language can be put in 663a, with “see also under” being just one possibility, the best option would probably be to index both the heading and the explanatory text in some fashion so that appropriate messages could be reassembled in the user interface. This would involve making several changes:

a.       Adding the necessary fields to the Solr schema (or using field suffixes to avoid the need for schema changes)

b.      Adding the new fields and appropriate weights to the authsearchspecs.yaml definitions (https://github.com/vufind-org/vufind/blob/master/config/vufind/authsearchspecs.yaml)

c.       Adding a getComplexSeeAlso() method to the record driver to retrieve these details (https://github.com/vufind-org/vufind/blob/master/module/VuFind/src/VuFind/RecordDriver/SolrAuth.php)

d.      Adding logic to render the complex see also in the result list template (https://github.com/vufind-org/vufind/blob/master/themes/bootstrap3/templates/RecordDriver/SolrAuth/result-list.phtml)

e.      If you need support in the AlphaBrowse module, adjust the code to make this work correctly (I’m not sure of the details necessary – it probably involves changes to the Solr extension/indexer and/or the index-alphabetic-browse scripts)

3.)    If you want something more flexible than option 1 but less complicated than option 2, it might be possible to index as described in option 1, but access the MARC record directly in the record driver (step 2c) to figure out the display information. Then you would only need to work on steps 2c and 2d, and things like customizing AlphaBrowse would be less crucial.

I hope this is helpful. Let me know if I can clarify anything for you. If you do decide to try one of the more complex solutions, please consider sharing your work as a pull request. That will allow others to provide feedback, and for the new feature to be standardized in a future release (which should save you maintenance work in the long term).

- Demian